PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for a child aged 4 at nursery

NinkyNonk
13-06-2014, 02:40 PM
I've had an enquiry from a teacher at a local school looking for a childminder to pick her daughter up from a nursery (attached to the school) and have her until 5.30pm.

I just wanted to check...would I need to be doing all the observations etc with her, as she'll be at a school nursery all day so they will be done there?

Thanks

p.s. I'm asking as I will be new to childminding - waiting for my pre-reg visit. :-)

LizP
13-06-2014, 06:35 PM
I would also be interested to hear the answer as I am a pre reg and had a similar enquiry but had to say no as they would count as 1 under 5yr place as they are not in full time education xx

line6
13-06-2014, 07:56 PM
I believe the setting where the child spends most time should be doing the majority however for a child I look after we both do it. But we do have him much the same amount of time. I started because it was good practice for me when I started minding and I work with the preschool sharing the next steps etc on a termly basis. I would keep a scrapbook or similar as a record of some of the things I've done but I wouldn't do full LJ's for a child in full time nursery and just with me a couple of hours a day. I honk! May be wrong about this!!!

JKL
14-06-2014, 12:33 AM
I would also be interested to hear the answer as I am a pre reg and had a similar enquiry but had to say no as they would count as 1 under 5yr place as they are not in full time education xx

If like the OP said they're in nursery full time/all day/10 sessions then surely they count as a rising 5 and not actually in your EY numbers?

In which case I would say that you just need to demonstrate your working with other settings such as activities that expand their learning from nursery?

I may be wrong but that would be my view on it. Hth? xx

NinkyNonk
14-06-2014, 10:36 AM
If like the OP said they're in nursery full time/all day/10 sessions then surely they count as a rising 5 and not actually in your EY numbers?

In which case I would say that you just need to demonstrate your working with other settings such as activities that expand their learning from nursery?

I may be wrong but that would be my view on it. Hth? xx

That's kind of what I was thinking...thank you.
xx

BlondeMoment
14-06-2014, 12:25 PM
I've got one with this situation. Children you only have before or after nursery or reception class at school are considered 'wrap around care'.

I do keep a learning journal but I do this for all my mindees whether they are EYFS or not. A lot of my mindees started off in the early years category with me all day and loved taking their books home every now and then to show mummys and daddys what they did at my house. So I continued them as photo books after they were out of the EYFS stage. Glutten for punishment me LOL

I still add the links with nursery girl's book but dont plan activities for her. It just shows I'm keeping an eye on it and supporting learning etc.

LizP
14-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Ok so even if they are 3 years old they don't class as part of EY Register as long aesthetic are infill time nursery?

I thought the stat regs say 4years?

shortstuff
14-06-2014, 09:44 PM
If its the case that full time nursey counts I would be very surprised as I thought it was full time year R?

rickysmiths
14-06-2014, 11:28 PM
If you are collecting the child at midday as I susspect you will be doing then you will have them for more hours that the school.

You should be following EYFS and working with the school as well so you can compliment what they are doing of continue to follow the child's interests with activities or outings while they are with you.

Wrap around care would only be if they were with you for an hour in the morning and an hour after school, so much less time with you than with school and this doesn't normally happen until they go into Reception at which time they start full time school, ie 10 sessions a week.

NinkyNonk
15-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks all. For the child I've been asking about, she will be in the school nursery for 10 sessions so I would only be picking her up at 3pm and having her until 5.30pm..so in this case she will be there more than with me.

rickysmiths
15-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Then I would say that is Wrap Around Care only. I would just keep a Scrap Book with any photos, pieces of work, WOW moments etc. I wouldn't follow EYFS as such but I would use the Pacey EYFS stickers to indicate which areas the activities shown in the book fell in.

blue bear
15-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Some years ago I applied for a variation because mum had a second baby, elder sibling was going to nursery (private school) 9-3 five days a week but would be with me before and after school taking my under five numbers to four.
I had a phone call telling me I did not need a variation as I could count the four year old as a rising five, even though they were in nursery not reception class as long as the nursery was part of a school it was classed as education (pre school and day nursery would not be classed as education) and therefore she could be counted as a rising five. As far as I am aware this does not stretch to three year olds.

You could always e mail the department of education to get written clarification.

NinkyNonk
16-06-2014, 08:13 AM
That's great, thanks for your help everyone. If it comes off I will just get clarification on how I would class the child.

Thanks.x