PDA

View Full Version : Can I extend the settling in period?

Miss freckles
13-06-2014, 11:16 AM
I've posted a couple of times on here in the last week about a tiny new baby I've been looking after it's been two weeks today, and this baby screams land screams every time I put him down if I pick him up he stops instantly. I've tried putting him in a chair and sitting next to him while I'm with the others too but as soon as I move away he goes crazy.

He will only sleep if were out in the pushchair otherwise not at all, and I feel the other children are losing out a lot as I'm always with the baby now.

I've been very honest with the mum and told her everything we've even tried changing routine slightly at home. Anyway on my contracts I only state 2 weeks for the settling period and either party can terminate without notice. Can I in anyway extend this to 4 weeks? And how would I go about that?

I don't think 2 weeks may of been enough to settle him but maybe he will just click in 3 or 4 weeks but if he's still he same after 4 weeks I can give notice straight away without then having to work a notice period. Can I do this?

Mouse
13-06-2014, 11:32 AM
I would speak to parents again and tell them that you are going to expend the settling in period for theirs & their child's benefit. Say that you feel 2 weeks hasn't been long enough for him to settle, so you don't feel it's fair to tie them into the full contract until you have given it a bit longer. Suggest another 2 weeks, which you believe is going to be long enough to see whether or not there is any improvement. If there isn't, you feel it would be unfair on the child to keep bringing him to a setting where he isn't happy and would suggest they look for a different childminder, one who perhaps has fewer children during the day & will be in a position to give their son all the attention he needs.

With any luck they'll start looking round elsewhere and will appreciate the fact that you're putting them & their child first :thumbsup:

AliceK
13-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Yes you can. I had the same with a baby. I extended his 4 week settling in period by another 2 weeks. Like you I had been honest throughout with his parents. Luckily things did get better but it made me feel better by having the option to let go if they didn't.

Good luck
xx

Miss freckles
13-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Ok this is great, makes me feel a little better. Thanks

sarah707
14-06-2014, 04:55 PM
It's very much the right thing to do. Hopefully lo will settle quickly xx