PDA

View Full Version : Query regarding certificate

abba1772
26-07-2008, 08:09 PM
i was a childminder in scotland where i had a certificate for 6 kids up to the age of 14 no more than 3 under the age of 5 and no more than 1 under the age of 1. my two own children were included in this certificate.

when i moved down to england and had my inpsection i was told i would be able to mind the same amount of children but my children wouldn't be included on the certificate there on the cert it says 4 children between the age of 0-8 with no more than 2 under the age of 5 and no more than 1 under the age of 1.

the prob i have is i have 2 girls full time on a wednesday during the hols until the oldest starts school in september and i have been approached to do 4 hours everyday by another parent from the 18th of august. that would mean i have 3 under the age of 5 for 4 hours one day a week plus my son.

i am going to apply for a variation for 5 weeks until the oldest girl starts school in september but was wondering if ofsted might grant it. parents are willing to use me and get someone else to mind the little one on a wednesday.

what do you think, should i query my certificate

butterfly
26-07-2008, 08:13 PM
i hink the general rule is oftsed will only grant a variation to provide continuity of care so as you're taking on a new mindee i don't think they will. i'm not an expert though and i'm sure ome of the more experienced minders will let you know.

sarah707
26-07-2008, 08:16 PM
My understanding is that your children are on the certificate ... so if you have 2 children under 5 of your own, then your numbers of allowed mindees go down by 2.

In circumstances when the rules are blurred, it's always best to ring or email Ofsted... :D

08456 404040

enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

abba1772
26-07-2008, 08:17 PM
sorry meant to say i was told by the inspector my kids weren't to be included in the cert numbers that why it states 4.

it#'s only for 3-5 weeks until the older girls completes 10 sessions a day and then she moves to my 5-8 slot

sarah707
26-07-2008, 08:37 PM
In that case, you'd need to put in a variation application - show how you will cope with the extra child, explain it's for continuity of care until she goes to school... you can only ask!

Good luck :D

Bushpig
26-07-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't, I have found them to be quite fair about it... you need to send them a letter explaining how you and your facilities will cope with the extra child, they will send you a grid, where you have to specify what hours you have which children...

I had this recently, for a sibling starting in October. I asked for a variance for a Tuesday and they granted me one every day.