PDA

View Full Version : how many childminders actually have..

butterfly
26-07-2008, 08:04 PM
..a black doll?

i was thinking about buying one but everyone keeps talking about having a token black doll.

i have other multicultural toys such as stickle brick people, books, happy land figures but i feel i need more.

what do people think? what have ofsted liked at inspections?

Mollymop
26-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes I have 3 black dolls. I have picked mine up at markets and charity shops. I have a few jigsaws that are multicutrial and equal (a woman driving a digger and lorry) 40p from a charity shop. I havelots of muticultrial books.

But new toys are so expensive! My inspector (at pre reg) told me to make a book full of different religions and people from all over the world by cutting out of magazine and the internet and sticking a scrap book.

Ofsted like multicultrial things.

sarah707
26-07-2008, 08:19 PM
I have about 8 dolls of all different colours and shades.

Baby's favourite of the moment has purple hair and glasses!

It's best to look out for anything multicultural or diverse as you are going round car boot sales and charity shops though, as new can be very expensive.

Here is a thread with lots of ideas -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41&highlight=multicultural

Hope this helps. :D

Mags
26-07-2008, 08:47 PM
i also have some black dolls and quite a variety of smaller figures. New, multi- cultural resources are usually expensive but in saying that i have managed to pick up a few bargains along the way.

My grandson wanted a drum out of home bargains a couple of weeks ago, it cost £2.99. As we got to the checkout he told me " it's a bongo drum nana and it comes from Africa". I didn't realise he knew that....he's only just four.:)

LittleStars
26-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I have an ethnic annabell who I got from the carboot for £3...Bargain

charleyfarley
26-07-2008, 08:56 PM
We have several black dolls soft and hard bodied ones

Most of them were from sales or car boots.

I have several jigsaws and books. I also have the flesh coloured crayons.

Carol xx

littletreasures
26-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Yep, I have a black doll too. plus loads of books.

cherry pink
26-07-2008, 09:14 PM
thanx to a wonderful person on here i ordered the two unicef dolls in the sale for £5 each they're lovely....i've also got a set of mimi dolls from around the world in their national costume for about £6 from home bargains...a red indian and mexican doll £5 approx elc sorry quite a few years ago now...try your local library for book sales i got loads of multi cultural books for a few pence each .
look everywhere for a bargain

wendywu
26-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I have loads of black dolls and asian ones. I am always buying them from from jumbles. I got two baby dolls from tescos last year they were black and smell like chocolate, they were £1.99 each and that was full price not in the sale.

I do not have the token anything. Oh only the token DH, there is only one of him, thank goodness :laughing:

Pudding Girl
26-07-2008, 10:49 PM
I have a little black boy doll and an indian lady teddybeany thing and a couple of the small barbie shelly type dolls that are black too - Wendy I saw the chococlate babies too but the smell made me heave lol!

ETA got some ELC Happy people too there's a chinese, an american a scotsman aspanish lady and an Indian in their stereotypical costumes.

Up here the only people of colour run restaurants, coming as I do from West Midlands I have grown up with at least 50% of people being black so it's really weird for me, I didn't realise how weird till I saw a black person and almost did a doubletake! :blush: Important especially then to have black people represented in my setting.

Bushpig
26-07-2008, 10:55 PM
I am an artist and South African, and I have paintings of black children I have looked after and painted, in my playroom. I also have bongo drums and traditional musical instruments and some we have made ourselves out of recycled materials. I have a couple of black dolls and a variety of multicultural books. I have multicultural and multifaith posters. I made up an alphabet poster with multicultural children too. I also have lots of books and posters that show disabilities.

I got some things off ebay, charity shops - bargains!

Pudding Girl
26-07-2008, 10:58 PM
ooh I printed off counting hands from sparklebox that are black and white, the girl brushing her teeth poster is black/asian and my wash your hands poster again has black and white, plus got a little dress up paper doll thats black ( with completely mad 70s afro!!) again from Sparklebox :D

Bushpig
26-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Afro you say??? I must have a look! :)

Pudding Girl
26-07-2008, 11:04 PM
hmmm I thought it was sparklebox but maybe it wasn't as I can't see it now? I recall someone posting here about the pig and then finding the black dolls though.....

Monkey1
27-07-2008, 06:02 AM
I have loads of multicultural dolls. Don't forget to include Rosie and Jim, tots tv etc My mother in law made me 3 lovely ones and my favourite doll is an indian barbie, compleat with sari. I watch the kids like a hawk with that one so we dont lose the clothes etc!

FizzysFriends
27-07-2008, 07:36 AM
We (meaning its my daughters) have a black baby born and barbie sized doll from india in traditional dress (parents bought it back for DD).

Hannahlg
27-07-2008, 07:42 AM
we have a black doll and black lego people and black people in jogsaws books etc

crazybones
27-07-2008, 07:53 AM
I have got loads of multicultural dolls and toys but because they are just there - mixed in with everything else I dont notice how much we have. The happlyand stuff has lots, I think I have 4 dolls, musical instruments, lots of posters and pictures, books - Little Bill is a big favorite at the moment. Just noticed the black boy doll I got from Verbaudet is currently sitting in the wheelchair sporting a pair of glasses which one of the children has done on their own and he also has a dummy rested against his mouth. Bless. :laughing:

I know I would like some more multicultural dress up outfits and I am looking for an african drumming CD but my son's percussion group was supposed to make one for the end of term but it didnt appear so I will have to keep an eye out elsewhere.

emmadines
27-07-2008, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=cherry pink;194577]thanx to a wonderful person on here i ordered the two unicef dolls in the sale for £5 each they're lovely....i've also got a set of mimi dolls from around the world in their national costume for about £6 from home bargains...a red indian and mexican doll £5 approx elc sorry quite a few years ago now...try your local library for book sales i got loads of multi cultural books for a few pence each .
look everywhere for a bargain[/Q

Same here, i got 4 of them.

fionamal
27-07-2008, 08:41 PM
We have a black Baby Annabell which is well loved by all the kids. My daughter prefers it to her own Annabelle.

miffy
27-07-2008, 09:07 PM
hmmm I thought it was sparklebox but maybe it wasn't as I can't see it now? I recall someone posting here about the pig and then finding the black dolls though.....

Could it have been www.makingfriends.com?

Lots of paper dolls there you can print off and dress in their native clothes

Miffy xx

Bushpig
27-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I have got loads of multicultural dolls and toys but because they are just there - mixed in with everything else I dont notice how much we have. The happlyand stuff has lots, I think I have 4 dolls, musical instruments, lots of posters and pictures, books - Little Bill is a big favorite at the moment. Just noticed the black boy doll I got from Verbaudet is currently sitting in the wheelchair sporting a pair of glasses which one of the children has done on their own and he also has a dummy rested against his mouth. Bless. :laughing:

I know I would like some more multicultural dress up outfits and I am looking for an african drumming CD but my son's percussion group was supposed to make one for the end of term but it didnt appear so I will have to keep an eye out elsewhere.

Check out this African drumming band - they played at our church a few months ago for a fundraising event. They are brilliant drummers!

http://www.frititi.com/index.shtml

crazybones
28-07-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks for that Jen. Will have a look at them :thumbsup:

Bushpig
28-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Pleasure! :)

melanieabigail2004
28-07-2008, 07:01 AM
I've got a ethnic family for the dolls house (ELC but got off ebay). Jigsaws, loads of happy land and books. I did have a doll but it sustained an injury (!) and have not replaced it yet.

Mel

miffy
28-07-2008, 07:05 AM
I've got a ethnic family for the dolls house (ELC but got off ebay). Jigsaws, loads of happy land and books. I did have a doll but it sustained an injury (!) and have not replaced it yet.

Mel

Nothing wrong with having an injured black doll - covers disability as well :)

Miffy xx

sue m
28-07-2008, 07:48 AM
I've got a 'brown' doll, a black doll and what I think is an Asian one and the little ones don't bother with any of them really. Maybe they will once they are used to coming more. They play with everything at the moment, it's all quite new to them. They weren't here last week as they were on holiday. Back today and then not here till Thursday.

Very hot again! Shouldn't moan though. :)

Pudding Girl
28-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Miffy, thanks for that, cool site, have emailed hubby with lots of printing to do on his swanky printer at work hehehehe - was definitely sparklebox I found my afroboy on though, wonder why it's not there anymore....

Pipsqueak
28-07-2008, 08:25 AM
After completing a recent Inclusion and diversity training sessions, I picked up some good tips.
Cutting out pictures (positive images!!!) and making a collage.

I don't actually have a black dolly, but I have ELC's asian family dolls, I have lots of books and do themes from around the world (food tasting/making, dressing up learning about the place(s) etc).