PDA

View Full Version : Whooping Cough

emile1973
12-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Has anyone (adult) on here had WC? I have had it for 7/8 weeks and still feel so ill. The hospital say it is going to take 3/4 mths to start feeling better and I'm 2 mths in. She told me today to clear another month at least off work...I've had 4 weeks already!,
What does everyone think? My parents are all great but what do you all think? It is unreasonable amount of time isn't it?

littletreasures
12-06-2014, 04:47 PM
I had whooping cough a couple of years ago. I didn't have any time off work as I didn't know it was whooping cough. Went down with a cold and cough around October half term. Cough still hadn't gone by December so I went to doctors. They gave me an inhaler, but it didn't do anything. I saw a different doctor who then sent me for a blood test about January. 3 weeks later I got a telephone call from my doctor to see how I was feeling and tell me I had whooping cough. He said it could take about 6 months to start to feel better. I then got a phone call from HPA. (Dr had to tell them). He asked about me childminding and said he was very impressed with my hygiene as none of the children had gone down with it. He didn't say I shouldn't have worked.

Make sure you keep a drink by your bed at night and I found sleeping on a few pillows helped. If I get a cold now, I get a cough and my voice gets very croaky. and it really knocks it out of me. The doctor reckons my lung function has been permanently damaged from the whooping cough.

hectors house
13-06-2014, 10:49 AM
No experience of Whooping cough but just wanted to say hope you feel better soon, are you infectious for the whole time you have it, just wondering when the children can start coming back without catching it? Could you maybe get a volunteer in to help you when you first start back, I don't think they need to be CRB (DBS) checked as long as you don't leave them alone with the children or get them to do any toileting or nappy changes - but you may need some extra help for when you get tired. Probably not a good idea to get another childminder to come round to help you as double the amount of children in your home may not help!