PDA

View Full Version : dinner ideas for two year old?

Elkie Mawdsley
11-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Hello all - have had an lo for two weels now, and am really struggling to get him to eat anything other than mashed potatoes. His mum didn't really give much info on food when asked - amd from the things he recognises I think he eats the likes of nuggetts, sausages etc at home. I got the impression from my pre reg visit that all meals should be home prepared so nuggets etc out of the question.

I made cottage pie, lasagne, chicken and veg, omlette - won't eat any of it :/

mama2three
11-06-2014, 01:18 PM
of course nuggets and similar are allowed... as part as a health balanced diet. Almost all of my food is home prepared.. but I still stick a frozen pizza in the oven every now and again!
Nuggets can be home made and yummy - try rolling chicken breast pieces in some crushed tortillas before cooking - a favourite here...

As for the fussy mindee- perseverance is the key - he will soon start to try what the others are eating . I had a mindee who ate next to nothing when she started. She soon learned that she was going to stay at the table for the whole mealtime regardless of whether she was eating , and gradually started to pick at what was in front of her. Perseverance , patience and consistency will soon have him eating an extended range of foods...

tess1981
11-06-2014, 02:07 PM
I have had the same... I don't like that. Mummy says I don't eat that. Etc. I Made no fuss set the dinner for reasonable amount of time took it away when all others finished and said go play. They soon realise they are hungry and I don't offer something different unless I know for sure they don't eat it one child here won't eat spaghetti bol but just plain pasta so that's what she gets that day . The lo who said all of the above is eating a lot better now because I say I know you do and there is nothing else

Elkie Mawdsley
11-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Will try and persevere, just don't like the thought of sending him home hungry. It's only him and my 8 month old here at the moment so he doesn't really get to see Children his own age eating it too.