PDA

View Full Version : Ratio and school children

Happiness
10-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Hello lovely childminders :)
Just a quick question. I am hoping someone will be able to give me the right answer pretty soon :)
I am looking after 3 children under 2 years of age. I have just had a message from a parent asking me if I could provide care for a child who is in full time education ( year R) over summer holidays. I am pretty sure the answer is yes, I could take that child on but would appreciate if someone could clarify that unless the answer is no :)
Many thanks x

lisbet
10-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Yes. Including your own children, you can have 3 children under school age, and 3 school-aged children under 8 :)

Happiness
10-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Thank you x

bunyip
11-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Hello lovely childminders :)
Just a quick question. I am hoping someone will be able to give me the right answer pretty soon :)
I am looking after 3 children under 2 years of age. I have just had a message from a parent asking me if I could provide care for a child who is in full time education ( year R) over summer holidays. I am pretty sure the answer is yes, I could take that child on but would appreciate if someone could clarify that unless the answer is no :)
Many thanks x

Just to clarify, you can do exactly as Lisbet says if the child is in Year 'R' now - not if they are going into Year 'R' in September.

I'm not just being pedantic, but I've had parents talking about their children as if they're already at school when they don't actually start until September. Some assume they are already in Year 'R' because they've had a half-day visit to the school. The regulations might be a bit of a nonsense, but they do apply as written, even if that means a child's status shifts the moment they have a birthday or spend their first proper full day at school.