PDA

View Full Version : biter!!!!! drawing blood!!

Rickers83
10-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Lo2 has been biting for a while now, but in the last week he has bitten my dd 23 months twice and drawn blood!! The one in her arm is scarring and hes just dine it again on her back! She isn't even doing anything when he does it just happily sitting playing!!!

Spoke to mum who's responce is, "isn't he a pickle, he pinched his brother and scratches him at home"

Oh lovely, I wonder if shed be so trivial if it were her child coming home covered in cuts & bite marks!!!

I've tried time out, social stories

I don't know what else to do as he doesn't seem to realise its wrong!

tess1981
10-06-2014, 03:51 PM
There was a thread on here not so long ago about a biter. Try the search section and type in biting or biter to see if it brings it up loads advice on it

Rickers83
10-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks, I've had a look through & in doing most of it already, & there doesn't seem to be a trigger, different situations each time.

Today they were crawling around the floor and he just pinned her down and bit her, last time she was sat on the floor building blocks and he walked over and bit her. He also kicked her in the face earlier whilst she was laying on the floor, just walked over and did it!

His talking is pretty good so i don't think its a communication thing either

So frustrating

tess1981
10-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Poor you and your poor dd this is the hard bit of the job when our children get hurt in their own home

Chatterbox Childcare
10-06-2014, 04:33 PM
I don't think it is how to deal with it afterwards but preventing it.

during my training I was advised to use an ABC chart - A = what triggers this b = what circumstances c = how to avoid this

Mainly you need to watch watch watch this child and figure out the trigger and then jump in before he starts when you see the trigger

bunyip
11-06-2014, 10:28 AM
First, so sorry to hear this has happened to your DD. :(
:group hug:

IIWY, I'd treat this as an 'incident'. You shouldn't overlook this by thinking it doesn't matter cos no minded child was hurt. This could just as easily have happened to a minded child and so should be dealt with accordingly. The fact is the biter represents a risk to anyone at your premises.

I'd do incident reports, risk assessment and make sure the mum knows you intend to take this far more seriously than she appears to. As already said by one member, any mum whose child is bitten will find it far less amusing than she does. Failure to deal with this now could be taken as 'negligence' if someone gets hurt in future and a complaint is raised. :(

I'd expect the family to meet with me; agree an action plan; cooperate with the plan; and understand they are on a warning of immediate notice if it persists or they fail to cooperate. :thumbsup:

AliceK
11-06-2014, 01:52 PM
First, so sorry to hear this has happened to your DD. :(
:group hug:

IIWY, I'd treat this as an 'incident'. You shouldn't overlook this by thinking it doesn't matter cos no minded child was hurt. This could just as easily have happened to a minded child and so should be dealt with accordingly. The fact is the biter represents a risk to anyone at your premises.

I'd do incident reports, risk assessment and make sure the mum knows you intend to take this far more seriously than she appears to. As already said by one member, any mum whose child is bitten will find it far less amusing than she does. Failure to deal with this now could be taken as 'negligence' if someone gets hurt in future and a complaint is raised. :(

I'd expect the family to meet with me; agree an action plan; cooperate with the plan; and understand they are on a warning of immediate notice if it persists or they fail to cooperate. :thumbsup:

This is what I have done in the past even though it was my own child that was hurt. You don't put the other child's name on the incident report anyway just put Another Child.
The parent HAS to take this seriously. I would be expecting mum to do her bit at home too and make it clear that if things don't improve you may need to consider terminating the contract as you have a duty of care to ALL the children with you.

xxx

Simona
12-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Biting happens mostly around the age of 2 and is connected to behaviour and language development...the triggers can be very varied...there is always a reason behind biting incidents ...something could be happening at home or is it just pure frustration? or language development delay...look at PSED for that age and it will help
Often the biting seems to happen without provocation....look for the trigger, the behaviour and the consequences

Yes looking at the ABC of behaviour is very important...also not labelling the child ...or calling him a biter....and talking to the parents on a 'shared strategy' to address it...many parents are often embarrassed when their child bites

I think that any behaviour training will include biting...or hair pulling...or hitting...children show their worries in many forms

Anyone from the EY team should be able to help in dealing with the situation...or even calling a Health Visitor for general advice will do...no need to give any names just ask for advice

ZERO TO THREE: Why Do Toddlers Bite? Finding the Right Response (http://www.zerotothree.org/child-development/challenging-behavior/chew-on-this-resources-on-biting.html)