PDA

View Full Version : 5 month old help!!!

Miss freckles
10-06-2014, 08:41 AM
All my mindees are 2 or just under and after schoolies, we get up to lots of activities and outings etc. one of my two yr old left due to moving which meant I needed to fill a space to make up he £650 a mth loss, without even looking I was approached by a parent who wanted to start her 5 mth old a week after my 2 yr old left. 5 days a week but mornings only perfect I thought.

It's the baby's third week and there is such a massive difference, me and the other children are basically stuck in the house cause of the baby's routine. He sleeps on the school run until 9-9:30 then has a bottle at 9:45 this finished around 10:20 (really slow feeder) then I have to get the others snack and nappy changes by that time it's almost 11 which is when baby needs his porridge finish hat around 11:20 then he gets picked up at 12 or before meaning we can't go out anywhere.

The other children have lunch at 12 then it's home for one at one and the others sleep from 1-3 then it's school run, I don't know what to do I feel the others are not getting the attention from me as they used to as I always seem busy feeding the baby. The baby also hardly ever sleeps I can't get him down then he screams cause he's overtired.

I would really like to give notice but I kind of know the parent and she works at a place where I've got 80% of my work from so I don't want to be give. A bad name because I can't cope but it's really affecting my mood and the other children aren't getting as much activities or outings.

Anyone have any advice please!!!! :panic:

QualityCare
10-06-2014, 09:04 AM
If he is sleeping until 9.30 and picked up a 12.00 l shouldn't have thought he would another sleep while with you. What time is mum feeding him before he gets to you and is it just milk, in the space of 3hrs you are trying to feed him a bottle and then cereal, can he not have cereal (if he hasn't already had it at home, or just milk if he has) when he wakes followed by milk or water and then play on the floor, mum can then feed him when she gets home.

Mouse
10-06-2014, 09:08 AM
It will get better as he gets older and is less reliant on regular feeds.

Could you go somewhere straight after the school run? Feed him while you're out? It's a case of trying to get his routine to fit yours, rather than changing your routine to fit him. What would you normally have done with the children before the baby started? Can you try to get back to that routine and just slot the baby in? Having a bottle or porridge slightly earlier or later shouldn't affect him that much.

Miss freckles
10-06-2014, 09:18 AM
He has a bottle at 7:30 then another with me at 9!! I hold him off til around 9:40 as he sleeps different here, and has porridge an hr later. The first few days mum said she noticed he only had one sleep he should go down again before 12 or he becomes extremely overtired. He's always seems overtired rubbing his eyes, yawning but won't go to sleep then screams all morning then I can't do anything with the others at all they are just left to their own devices.

I'm expecting an Ofsted inspection soon, I really don't know what to do I'm completely stuck!!!

QualityCare
10-06-2014, 09:54 AM
I would give cereal when he wakes and milk straight after if he wants it then playtime then if mum wants him to have another sleep before she collects then put him down at 11.00 after a small drink otherwise if its later he will have to be woken to go home. At 5mths unless he's a very under weight baby he should having nearly 4hrs between feeds. His routine will be different to what he had at home as mum is probably getting him up earlier, his morning sleep is disturbed i.e falling asleep on way to you being woken up when he gets to you, going on the school run where he falls asleep but is probably waking up at the time he did at home but has in fact had less sleep, because he is with you part time it will be harder to have a good sleep routine until he has breakfast on arrival, sleep , play, go home, it will fall into place but it will need to be your routine in the mornings not mums but work with her and tell her why, in a month or two he shouldn't need a morning sleep. I had one like this and felt guilty taking money as l gave the baby breakfast and he slept until mum collected at lunch time.

littlebears1009
10-06-2014, 10:52 AM
I have a 6 month old just started whos routine was sleep at 9am, and 1.30ish. The 1.30ish is perfect however the 9am isnt as i go to groups straight from school run. It was his first day yesterday, he had a nap on the school run, came to playgroup and finished his nap after playgroup. He had his afternoon nap a little later but that was ok as dont go on school run until 3. As others have said try and get him to change to your routine and ask mum to help with this. Although i know how hard it is with some. I gave notice last year to a 7 month old who would never sleep and screamed all day because of it. He had no routine at home and mum wasnt prepared to help as she said he didnt need one so I gave notice as was affecting my children too. Have a word with mum see what you can both come up with!