PDA

View Full Version : Getting seriously worried!!

bulldog
09-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Have posted before about a child I have who gives me concerns because of his attitude to play (he doesnt play) and his "adult" conversation.

My own Son (16) is home today and overheard this child singing a song from an iphone/pad app. The game is called Dumb Ways To Die.

This child is 4 (just)
The game features cartoon type things being hit by trains, having heads bitten off by monsters and "blood" squirting fronm the severed neck!!:eeeek:

Ive had issues with him recently scaring a younger child, telling her that the "night stalker" is coming in her room to kill her then her Mum, obviously I put a stop to that and told Mum...her reply was "No idea where he gets it from!"
I also rang the playgroup he goes to (I only have him 1 day a week) they said they have noted the "night stalker" thing and his "obsession" with death etc.

Today he has said to another child," im going to die at home, then my skin will come off until Im a skeleton!"
Not only is it distressing to the other child, her Mum isnt happy when she goes home and repeats it!

Im so uncomfortable with it all. Ive spoken to Mum numerous times, made notes in his diary to tell her but always get the same response "dont know where he gets it from"
I always make notes on anything that hes said that I find odd.

He has an older sister (7) so its not like shes lots older and showing him inappropriate things.
I know the Parents find him difficult and he does get to use the phones/ipad a LOT at home, I also know he stays up late and watches "inappropriate" films for his age, prob because hes watching late with his Parents!

Hes leaving in Aug (thank heavens!)

What would you do?

tess1981
09-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Have posted before about a child I have who gives me concerns because of his attitude to play (he doesnt play) and his "adult" conversation.

My own Son (16) is home today and overheard this child singing a song from an iphone/pad app. The game is called Dumb Ways To Die.

This child is 4 (just)
The game features cartoon type things being hit by trains, having heads bitten off by monsters and "blood" squirting fronm the severed neck!!:eeeek:

Ive had issues with him recently scaring a younger child, telling her that the "night stalker" is coming in her room to kill her then her Mum, obviously I put a stop to that and told Mum...her reply was "No idea where he gets it from!"
I also rang the playgroup he goes to (I only have him 1 day a week) they said they have noted the "night stalker" thing and his "obsession" with death etc.

Today he has said to another child," im going to die at home, then my skin will come off until Im a skeleton!"
Not only is it distressing to the other child, her Mum isnt happy when she goes home and repeats it!

Im so uncomfortable with it all. Ive spoken to Mum numerous times, made notes in his diary to tell her but always get the same response "dont know where he gets it from"
I always make notes on anything that hes said that I find odd.

He has an older sister (7) so its not like shes lots older and showing him inappropriate things.
I know the Parents find him difficult and he does get to use the phones/ipad a LOT at home, I also know he stays up late and watches "inappropriate" films for his age, prob because hes watching late with his Parents!

Hes leaving in Aug (thank heavens!)

What would you do?

I have no advice at all other than buy loads of wine for August... maybe change the subject as soon as you hear him mention this stuff.... The more you tell him not too the more he will

Ripeberry
09-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Note it as a concern. But as others have said, distract him when he starts to talk 'horrible'. I've know a child from Pre-school (same year as my eldest) and he is now 12 years old. Ever since he was 3 years old he was allowed to watch 18+ games and talks about death and killing non-stop. I'm keeping an eye on him. Teenage hormones into the mix will be interesting (not in a good way). :panic:

bunyip
10-06-2014, 09:12 AM
I would note it as a concern and monitor it in case there are any behavioural issues that might be linked. :thumbsup:

But be aware that "coincidence" is not necessarily "causation". To explain, by way of an example, studies have shown a strong link between people who conduct violent crimes and having previously played games like 'Call of Duty'. But that does not prove that someone who plays such games is destined to go on a killing spree, or indeed any more likely to than you or I. There is a much stronger statistical link between people wearing denim jeans and then going on to commit acts of extreme violence. So a 'link' is not the same thing as a 'cause'.

Tbh, if you want sex, death and gratuitous violence then look no further than Shakespeare, the Bible and fairy tales. IIRC, the TV programme with one of the highest figures for violent acts per minute was Tom & Jerry. :p

Ripeberry
10-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I would note it as a concern and monitor it in case there are any behavioural issues that might be linked. :thumbsup:

But be aware that "coincidence" is not necessarily "causation". To explain, by way of an example, studies have shown a strong link between people who conduct violent crimes and having previously played games like 'Call of Duty'. But that does not prove that someone who plays such games is destined to go on a killing spree, or indeed any more likely to than you or I. There is a much stronger statistical link between people wearing denim jeans and then going on to commit acts of extreme violence. So a 'link' is not the same thing as a 'cause'.

Tbh, if you want sex, death and gratuitous violence then look no further than Shakespeare, the Bible and fairy tales. IIRC, the TV programme with one of the highest figures for violent acts per minute was Tom & Jerry. :p

That's why I love the Simpsons parody of it via 'Itchy and Scratchy' :p