PDA

View Full Version : claiming percentage on Rent - confused

Tabi
07-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Hi everyone,
i've become confused on claiming a percentage of rent... on the guidance under the household bills when it has the column for Water rate, Council Tax and Rent, is this right that means if you rent a property (rather than own) that you can claim the percentage of your rent? I only ask because underneath it then says that you cant claim your mortgage payments...?

Also if you receive some housing benefit do you claim the % of the full amount of rent that you are legally liable for or the amount less the housing benefit? (it only refers to council tax benefit on the guidance)

hope someone can help
thank you

tulip0803
07-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Hi

Yes if you pay rent you can claim back up to 10% of the rent paid based on working with children for 40+ hours a week, reduced for part-time hours.

I would get confirmation from HMRC about how much you can claim if part is paid by benefit but I would think it would be only on what you actually pay as that is your expense IYSWIM

Tabi
08-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Thank you
Yes I will ring hmrc to check. I think it's because I read somewhere that is different because I do pay the whole amount of rent but get some benefit paid to me to help with it, its probably just a technicality so I will check with them.
Ta