PDA

View Full Version : Can i request inspection asap?

alex__17
06-06-2014, 08:18 PM
My first grading inspection should of been May, I had a call in about feb from the agency asking which days I have children and they said I'd be inspected in May. Well it's now June and I've still heard nothing,and in July we're starting a big extension on the house so will either be planning days where we're out most of the day or at a childminder friend's house, or I'll be closing when the work gets very disruptive, so I really don't want Ofsted turning up then and us having to stay in when we wouldn't have been doing so.
Is there any way I can ask them to come ASAP? Has anyone done this? Or should I just hope they turn up before it all starts! I really want it over, even without the building work, I feel like I'm on edge the whole time waiting for them!

amyp
06-06-2014, 08:28 PM
You can't request- I asked!! But you can delay! So maybe delay when them call x

alex__17
06-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks, I was hoping someone had asked! Maybe if I explain we're having building work and are either closed or out all day they'll delay...worth a try, hopefully they'll come before it all starts and I can have it over with and stop having to worry over it!

Angela234
07-06-2014, 08:37 AM
I requested an inspection was told last oct i was due last month a mum asked if i could do 2year funding but i wasnt graded took 3years out
Got a call the end of that week and inspected me the following monday
I know its a different reason

Simona
07-06-2014, 08:53 AM
My first grading inspection should of been May, I had a call in about feb from the agency asking which days I have children and they said I'd be inspected in May. Well it's now June and I've still heard nothing,and in July we're starting a big extension on the house so will either be planning days where we're out most of the day or at a childminder friend's house, or I'll be closing when the work gets very disruptive, so I really don't want Ofsted turning up then and us having to stay in when we wouldn't have been doing so.
Is there any way I can ask them to come ASAP? Has anyone done this? Or should I just hope they turn up before it all starts! I really want it over, even without the building work, I feel like I'm on edge the whole time waiting for them!

The best thing you can do is ring either Tribal or Prospect (depends where you are)...who would have contacted a while back...and tell them exactly what is going on...that you are embarking on an extension in July while still waiting for the inspection

Make sure you take the name of the person who answers the phone and also they record your conversation on your records

Good luck

jackie 7
07-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Don't forget to have a risk assessment for the building works.

hectors house
07-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Or you could just say you want to apply for Early years funding and can't do so until you have had your first inspection - I would be worried that they would want to inspect you during the building works to make sure you had adequate risk assessments for childminding at a different premises.

alex__17
07-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Yes risk assessments all done, to be honest we're more likely to be doing trips out rather than another childminders house, that's a backup in case the weather is truly terrible, but we have a few places nearby where you can quite easily spend the whole day there, then would come home mid afternoon for playtime inside then tea. Like you say though, I worry they'll wait until mid building work to inspect!
Maybe I'll call and see if they can tell me if it'll be soon, I just wish they'd hurry up! Or I guess I could say I'm likely to be shut when the worst of it happens so can they come before or after, which may well end up being the case.

Simona
08-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Yes risk assessments all done, to be honest we're more likely to be doing trips out rather than another childminders house, that's a backup in case the weather is truly terrible, but we have a few places nearby where you can quite easily spend the whole day there, then would come home mid afternoon for playtime inside then tea. Like you say though, I worry they'll wait until mid building work to inspect!
Maybe I'll call and see if they can tell me if it'll be soon, I just wish they'd hurry up! Or I guess I could say I'm likely to be shut when the worst of it happens so can they come before or after, which may well end up being the case.

Unless I am wrong you are obliged to tell Ofsted that you are having work done in your home because an extension will alter your setting and space?
I would check the EYFS 2012 page 28 (3.76) which states clearly you must report' any changes to the premises'

Until the work begins it will be hard to 'risk assess' until you see the risk posed by the building work itself and the restrictions that will have on your practice ..but you can do a general overview of the risk and how to minimise now...good luck!

alex__17
08-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks, yes letter to ofsted already written, ive already called and need to give 2 weeks notice of the work starting and then inform them when it is complete with a risk assessment for the new space, Im just waiting on start date from builders.
The way I've risk assessed is to think of how it will affect our days and ways to avert the risks, so for example we've organised 6ft high fencing around the site and any materials, and the front path will now have fencing either side so no one can access the front lawn as that will have materials etc on it. Things like any knock through work will happen on days I don't have children, its over summer holidays so no after schoolers to worry about, workmen in house/on premises we've chosen a company that have had the individual workers vetted by our council, fill in visitor books daily, stair gates across door to dining room so children can't get anywhere near where the work is being done etc.
I know what you mean how it will need to be risk assessment daily as it happens but I'm basing it on a previous extension and extensive talks with the building company and as much research and preparation beforehand as I can!