PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice

EmmaReed84
05-06-2014, 01:28 PM
So, a while I posted about possibly joining forces with my MIL who is also a CM. She has a bigger house than I do, with a separate playroom. She also has a 'bar' in the garden (It started life as a bar, but is now a bedroom/lounge/bar/outside toilet).

We decided against completely becoming one, as it there was too much to go wrong. However we have started talking about it again. But not necessarily joining up, still being childminders in our own rights, our own contracts, children etc. But still turning the bar in to playroom and working from there most days.

MIL is terrible at the contract/interview/paperwork stuff so I would be able to help her out with that and I where my house is so small, I can move most of my 'work' in to the 'Explorer's Hut' and get some of my house back, especially as my boys are getting older now.

Like last time, I asked for advise, and things to think about, some tips. That really helped us in the decision making. So I am asking for that again.

There wll be no money that exchanges hands between us, my contracts will be mine, and her will be hers. If I get an enquiry that I can't quite accommodate but MIL can, I will pass it on as I normally do and vice versa. It will literally just mean I mostly work from her bulding and in return I help her.

AgentTink
05-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Heres some things that i would think about.....

1) How big is the room/den outside? The only reason I am asking is because if this is were you and the children will mainly be then would you need to comply with Ofsted space ratios. Would Ofsted need to be informed that the majority of the time would be spent in the new playroom? Im not sure of these answers but i would suggest giving Ofsted a call to clarify

2) How would both current and new parents feel about you and your MIL mainly working out of the new playroom in the garden? Would they feel there was sufficient learning opportunities for their child? Bear in mind lots of people choose CM's for the home environment so how would you offer this along side the playroom.

3) When a new parent comes to view you, i would imagine that you would have to show them both your home and your mothers home if the children are going to be their most of the time?

4) If a child was under the weather but not poorly enough to be sent home would you be prepared not to go to your MIL's as the child may need more sleep/rest etc

5) I would get the fire brigade out to check the new playroom for fire regulations

6) When children need naps how can this be managed? If they need to be inside the house then you or your MIL would need to be inside the house whilst the otherone is outside but would you be within your numbers etc. Naps may not be an issue with current children currently but if you take on new younger children who need a nap in the morning and afternoon then this may be when the issue raises's its head.

7) Would food costs would need to shared, as well as certain costs such as some electricity, water etc. How would you do this fairly?

8) If your MIL is on holiday for 2 weeks would you still have access to her home or would you need to use your own

9) Were would nappy changes happen? In the new playroom or back in the house? Is the toilet in the new playroom big enough to do nappy changes?

These are just some of my initial thoughts that you and your MIL may like to discuss before you set anything in stone.

7)

Maza
05-06-2014, 03:54 PM
What if you get a disruptive/aggressive child? You may want to work with him/her and give him/her time to settle in, but your MIL might be less inclined to do so if it is her equipment/home getting ruined.

What if your hours end up being longer than MIL's? She might want her house back at 6.00, but you have one who stays until 6.30pm.

Would she become resentful having your stuff around as well as hers? Travel cots, toys etc.

What if you want more posters up on the wall but MIL doesn't? Or an extra towel hook/coat hooks/safety gate etc.

What if you have a parent who keeps you chatting at the end of he day and MIL feels like she always has to watch your other mindees as well as her own when this happens?

If MIL has to close due to her own sickness, will you still be able to operate from her home?

I'm sounding very negative, sorry. One of the mums from DD'S class works from her own home with another childminder, both independent, and they have done it for years. I'm not sure how it works and unfortunately she rarely does pick-ups/drop offs because her mindees are all at other schools and she has to collect/drop them. I will try and get some tips from her next time I do see her though. x