PDA

View Full Version : Written observations

CCC123
04-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Advice please!!
How often is everyone doing written observations??
I have four children that are with me just once a week and another that is here three days...
I feel that I should be constantly writing up observations but it is so time-consuming!!
What does everybody else do??
Thanks xx

loocyloo
04-06-2014, 06:56 PM
I take photos ... Lots of them and use these for the majority of my obs.
I aim to do one a week for LO here 3 days and less for children who come less days.
Today one of my 1 day a weekers has done lots of new things and so she has about 5 obs!!! But equally she hasn't really had any for the past few weeks as hadn't done anything new or wow!

amyp
04-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Once every 6 weeks x

Simona
04-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Advice please!!
How often is everyone doing written observations??
I have four children that are with me just once a week and another that is here three days...
I feel that I should be constantly writing up observations but it is so time-consuming!!
What does everybody else do??
Thanks xx

It depends on the Next Steps you have planned for your children
Not all obs have to be written down...or you would have thousands....but the ones that show progress in the learning area and can track progress
They can be complimented by photos

Every time we look at children we 'observe' them.....whether trying new things or showing their embedded learning

Bumble Beez
04-06-2014, 07:48 PM
I do obs as and when I feel that child is showing progression in their development.
A photo, simple sentence to describe what they are doing, link to area of learning and add in next steps if appropriate.
I also do them on majority of adult focused activities...
And I also do a spontaneous written observation every 4-6 weeks or so which helps with planning. These are normally during free play :thumbsup:

Sarah x