PDA

View Full Version : pregnant mummy....when to ask?

ziggy
03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
mummy of 17month old mindee, who comes to me 40hrs a week, is due to have a baby in October. Contract was up for review this week, I asked if there were any changes I needed to know of, she just gave me her holiday dates. When I asked if she was going back to work after new baby, she said they havent decided yet. They own coffee shop.

Was wondering when I should ask about her plans for mindee. She realises she has to give 4 weeks notice in writing.

bunyip
03-06-2014, 04:27 PM
You can ask any time you like. But you can't expect a straight answer until about 4 weeks before she intends changing the arrangement. :(

moggy
03-06-2014, 06:01 PM
I would not expect them to even know yet- and any answer they give could change at any time anyway so is pretty useless.

If you are chatty with them then I would drop it in conversation nearer due date- could word it more along the lines of 'are you looking at keeping elder child on here while you are on maternity leave?' how you 'might be able to reduce hours to keep some stability with elder one when new baby comes'... and if they are 'interested in a place with you for new baby' etc

I have had some leave when new baby came, some stay on but reduced hours during maternity leave and then increase hours + new baby a year later, also 2 families moved house when a new baby came... so, there are many options and they may well not have a firm plan themselves yet.

Kirsty90
04-06-2014, 08:15 AM
I've only ever had one mum go on maternity leave & she didn't know until about 5 weeks before what she was planning on doing & has only just decided what she's going to do when she returns to work in a few weeks. I think it's a hard decision to make & when I was pregnant I changed my mind all of the time about when I was going to return to work xx

AliceK
04-06-2014, 08:58 AM
I've had 4 pregnant mums and they were all very good. 2 of them left their child in my care whilst they were on maternity leave as they knew they wanted me to also have their new LO when they went back to work and they knew approx. when that would be. 1 was emigrating during her maternity leave so I knew exaxtly when LO would be leaving me and the other also told me early on when current child would be leaving because they couldn't keep him with me when on maternity leave. This one is now going back to work soon and is disappointed that I no longer have space for LO or new LO but that's the risk you take if you take the child out of my care.

There is nothing worse than not knowing. If it were me I would wait another couple of months and then ask a few questions.

xxxx

ziggy
04-06-2014, 12:15 PM
I kept a place last year for a pregnant mummy, was minding older 2, then she took all 3 away just before Christmas, so vowed I would never keep a place again.

Baby is due in October, so will leave it now till August to ask. Although i did think if a full timer comes along I will ask earlier. I know it's not easy for her to make decision so early, especially when her son was born a month early but I dont want to turn other work away if she is planning to keep both at home.

AliceK
04-06-2014, 12:23 PM
I kept a place last year for a pregnant mummy, was minding older 2, then she took all 3 away just before Christmas, so vowed I would never keep a place again.

Baby is due in October, so will leave it now till August to ask. Although i did think if a full timer comes along I will ask earlier. I know it's not easy for her to make decision so early, especially when her son was born a month early but I dont want to turn other work away if she is planning to keep both at home.

I agree.
I would ask in a couple of months but if mum isn't sure or seems a bit flaky I wouldn't be turning new work away. We are a business with bills to pay and we have to sometimes have our business head on.

xxx

ziggy
20-06-2014, 08:22 AM
was chatting to mummy last night, just dropped into conversation when she plans to finish work and she said 'probably the week before'

With first child she worked till christmas eve and he was born new years eve. So am presuming I will have him till end of September, if not longer:)