PDA

View Full Version : Advice please!

zanacal
02-06-2014, 12:29 PM
I look after a little boy who is almost 2 and am looking for some advice regarding his not noticing and/or ignoring when he's dropped things. Today he dropped a big pebble on the floor (we're making paperweights for father's day!) and at lunch time he spilt a whole cup of water on the floor and kept on looking straight ahead concentrating on eating his yogurt - perhaps he didn't notice to begin with but he carried on doing this even after I jumped and said 'oh dear, there's water everywhere, let's clean it up' etc. I feel like he knows he's dropped something but for some reason wants to pretend it hasn't happened - but maybe I'm wrong and he just doesn't notice! Any ideas? Would you make a note of this and in what format (observations are for positive situations aren't they?). I'm wondering whether there are some activities I can do to help him (cause and effect?) if there's something to help him with! It seems a bit silly now I've written it down but it seemed significant when it happened!

sarah707
02-06-2014, 07:17 PM
2 year olds tend to have what Early Years Outcomes calls 'single channeled attention'. This means that if they are busy doing one thing then they are not likely to notice other things going on around them.

As they get older they are more likely to be able to multitask...

As long as hearing has been checked and there aren't any other concerns I'd say chat to parents and keep an eye on it x

zanacal
03-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Thank you Sarah. I actually spent some time with him with mum present yesterday and I have seen him in his home environment and he has such a different personality when he's on his own with me! He's perfectly happy, he's confident, plays independently, smiles etc. but he's very quiet and I don't think he's ever once cried while he's been here - even when he's fallen and hurt himself! Mum says he's a little tinker, always babbling and shouting, saying 'no', snatching toys, having tantrums etc. and he definitely asks her to pick things up when he drops them at home. She said he was probably ignoring it because he thought he'd done something wrong - of course I've never 'told him off' for dropping anything. I think he just isn't completely relaxed here - in the same way that my children behave beautifully at school all day then come home and play up for me, but I am surprised that he can control these things at his age as, in my experience, 2 year olds are often taken over by their emotions! I actually feel quite sad about it :( Have you experienced this type of thing?

bunyip
03-06-2014, 03:53 PM
He's finished with it: done, over, ended, finito. Why should it interest him any longer?

Coincidentally, I have a wife like this. She's always asking me questions like, "have you seen my keys?" - to which I answer, "do you remember where you were standing when you didn't need them any longer? I expect they'll be on the nearest flat surface." :rolleyes:

FussyElmo
03-06-2014, 04:10 PM
He's finished with it: done, over, ended, finito. Why should it interest him any longer?

Coincidentally, I have a wife like this. She's always asking me questions like, "have you seen my keys?" - to which I answer, "do you remember where you were standing when you didn't need them any longer? I expect they'll be on the nearest flat surface." :rolleyes:

Now now Bunyip - they really don't have to be on a flat surface anywhere I think its suitable at the time :-)

bunyip
03-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Now now Bunyip - they really don't have to be on a flat surface anywhere I think its suitable at the time :-)

Which reminds me. If Mrs B ever loses her keys completely, can she borrow the set I had cut for you? :D

JKL
03-06-2014, 04:24 PM

I am guilty as charged for this one! I frequently drop them onto whatever the nearest surface is, regardless of whether its flat or not! The pram hood seems to be my latest "fave" dumping ground! Have located my phone buried in there, in the car on numerous occasions recently! :D

FussyElmo
03-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Which reminds me. If Mrs B ever loses her keys completely, can she borrow the set I had cut for you? :D

Being the gracious person I am :littleangel::littleangel: of course she can :laughing::laughing: