PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journey Question

Tealady
01-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Some of you may have seen some of my posts over in the Green section about settling two very distressed sibling girls.

They have been coming since January and it has only been in the last month that I have been able to work with them in my usual way.

They are only one day a week and for the first four months we were just trying to get them happy and settled. I did little planning related to the 7 areas of learning, only in thinking about how best to get to know them and settle them.

The EYO were not in my mind at all, but I have lots of pics and evidence of what I was doing with the parents support to get them settled. I did do activities that tie in with the 7 areas of learning but they weren't chosen for that purpose.

Their LJ's are subsequently a little bare, however if I back track and put in photos of activities they are enjoying and document things I was doing to help them settle would this be adequate. After all, being able to settle at a carer other than parents is all to do with their Personal, Social and Emotional Development, surely?

watford wizz
01-06-2014, 07:48 PM
My books are always done in retrospect. I follow child's lead, click away with camera and then fit pictures to EYFS text. Yours should be fine done this way x

alex__17
01-06-2014, 08:14 PM
A recent course I went on about planning and observations said that in the first few weeks most of LJ observations will be about how they are settling so first time they dont cry, first time they go off and play at toddlers without you, when they eat lots or sleep well etc.
I also put pics of things they've enjoyed doing then link that to areas of learning rather than plan for specific areas and have found all areas get covered, and while it is for ofsted the main reason I put pics and obs that might not be what ofsted want but will be important for the parents because I want the lj to be a keepsake of their time with me more than anything else

hectors house
02-06-2014, 06:52 AM
I do same as Watford Wizz, I take photos of children playing and then link it to EYFS, sometimes if when I look back I think that I haven't got many observations I can link to eg: Maths then I will set up an activity that promotes counting.

loocyloo
02-06-2014, 07:04 AM
I do same as Watford Wizz, I take photos of children playing and then link it to EYFS, sometimes if when I look back I think that I haven't got many observations I can link to eg: Maths then I will set up an activity that promotes counting.

That is exactly what I do. :-)

Simona
02-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Some of you may have seen some of my posts over in the Green section about settling two very distressed sibling girls.

They have been coming since January and it has only been in the last month that I have been able to work with them in my usual way.

They are only one day a week and for the first four months we were just trying to get them happy and settled. I did little planning related to the 7 areas of learning, only in thinking about how best to get to know them and settle them.

The EYO were not in my mind at all, but I have lots of pics and evidence of what I was doing with the parents support to get them settled. I did do activities that tie in with the 7 areas of learning but they weren't chosen for that purpose.

Their LJ's are subsequently a little bare, however if I back track and put in photos of activities they are enjoying and document things I was doing to help them settle would this be adequate. After all, being able to settle at a carer other than parents is all to do with their Personal, Social and Emotional Development, surely?

It is not clear how old the children are...if not 3 then you only need the 3 Prime Areas although even at that age any activity will include all the other 4 areas because each area is interlinked
Any photo will show you that...maths does not need to be a planned activity as maths is all around us

It sounds like their settling in took a while but that should not worry you...you are in charge and you know what they can do
You should have gathered many starting points on their learning and the photos will reflect that...

there is no format for LJs...we all do them differently ...what matters is that you can show the children are progressing and moving towards the Outcomes or the Early Learning Goals as they were referred to...before they hit the final outcomes they need to take small steps in their learning journey

Good luck

mama2three
02-06-2014, 07:19 AM
You have done exactly what we're expected to do - plan for a childs individual needs!. the retrospective pictures should show real progression for the children , and at ach one next steps can be put in which will then be reflected in the following pics....
Maybe now start adding in some next steps covering other areas of learning , but if theyre under 3 then communication and social will most certainly already have been covered lots whilst you have been helping them feel safe and secure...