PDA

View Full Version : Children walking.

MrsPixie
01-06-2014, 08:47 AM
I am newly registered and I was wondering how everyone find having children walking places. I do not drive but I have a double pram and I usually walk everywhere. My own daughter is 13 months so still needs to be in the pram which leaves 1 space in the pram for another young child then I was thinking my other early years space would have to be an older child who is better at walking reasonable distances. I have considered getting a buggy board but if it is pouring with rain (which it does a lot here) then they will get quite wet!

Katy

moggy
01-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Buggy board with full waterproof suit can work.
If you have 2 young walkers they can swap around using the 1 buggy seat- one walks there and the other walks back etc.
You can get triple buggies- but you need to think about the size and weight!
I walk a lot with mine and even a 24mth old can walk a good distance- 30 mins (at toddler pace) to a local play place is something we regularly do.
If you had a small baby you can use a sling while pushing double buggy.

It is something you will need to consider with each family that enquires, but should not be a problem as there are many solutions. I have always managed with a double buggy + one walking.

I am going to have 2x 1 year olds and a 27mth old and the 27mth old will just have to walk- I do not have a triple buggy or a buggy board. They do get used to walking, if there is no choice and you are firm about it... and make it fun with games on the way etc. You do have to allow plenty of time, though, as they can be slow on little legs.

bunyip
01-06-2014, 10:00 AM
I am newly registered and I was wondering how everyone find having children walking places. I do not drive but I have a double pram and I usually walk everywhere. My own daughter is 13 months so still needs to be in the pram which leaves 1 space in the pram for another young child then I was thinking my other early years space would have to be an older child who is better at walking reasonable distances. I have considered getting a buggy board but if it is pouring with rain (which it does a lot here) then they will get quite wet!

Katy

Hi Katy :waving:

I don't drive and get along fine by walking lots with the children, and using buses for longer journeys, or essential trips like preschool collections if the weather is totally manky.

I've never got on with buggy boards, but that's cos I'm quite tall and therefore have a long stride, so I keep stepping/tripping on them. They certainly seem to work fine for others. I have a T3 jogger which will carry 3, but they need to be littlies, or the whole thing is too heavy on slopes. For the most part, I remove the top seat, making a double, so up to 2 can ride while the other(s) walk.

A word of caution. As a non-driver, the bane of my life is wholly car-driving parents. Some are put off by me not driving (how could any person possibly not want to have a car!!!) and my choice not to learn to drive is obviously a clear sign of my lack of sanity, so they wouldn't let their lo's anywhere near such a loony. :rolleyes:

The opposite side is those parents who sign up cos they think it is absolutely great that I take the time to walk everywhere and thereby give their lo's some much-needed exercise. It's much the same as those parents who believe they're paying their CM to sort out nappy training/weaning/fussy eating/all manner of L&D issues, so why on earth would they want to support it at home. It can be very difficult to overcome the whining challenge of a child whose previous experience of a 'walk' is to stagger from the family parking bay to the sliding doors of Tesco before their otherwise unused limbs atrophy completely. I'm convinced that if evolution was true, children would by now have grown wheels where our generation has legs. :panic:

But once that's overcome and they learn why goD in her infinite wisdom gave us those flexible appendages hanging from our hips, I think they learn a bigger life-lesson than how to hold a pencil in the official state-authorised manner and sit nicely for carpet-time indoctrination.

You can tell I prefer 'life-ready' as a goal to 'school-ready' can't you? ;)

Simona
01-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Hi Katy :waving:

I don't drive and get along fine by walking lots with the children, and using buses for longer journeys, or essential trips like preschool collections if the weather is totally manky.

I've never got on with buggy boards, but that's cos I'm quite tall and therefore have a long stride, so I keep stepping/tripping on them. They certainly seem to work fine for others. I have a T3 jogger which will carry 3, but they need to be littlies, or the whole thing is too heavy on slopes. For the most part, I remove the top seat, making a double, so up to 2 can ride while the other(s) walk.

A word of caution. As a non-driver, the bane of my life is wholly car-driving parents. Some are put off by me not driving (how could any person possibly not want to have a car!!!) and my choice not to learn to drive is obviously a clear sign of my lack of sanity, so they wouldn't let their lo's anywhere near such a loony. :rolleyes:

The opposite side is those parents who sign up cos they think it is absolutely great that I take the time to walk everywhere and thereby give their lo's some much-needed exercise. It's much the same as those parents who believe they're paying their CM to sort out nappy training/weaning/fussy eating/all manner of L&D issues, so why on earth would they want to support it at home. It can be very difficult to overcome the whining challenge of a child whose previous experience of a 'walk' is to stagger from the family parking bay to the sliding doors of Tesco before their otherwise unused limbs atrophy completely. I'm convinced that if evolution was true, children would by now have grown wheels where our generation has legs. :panic:

But once that's overcome and they learn why goD in her infinite wisdom gave us those flexible appendages hanging from our hips, I think they learn a bigger life-lesson than how to hold a pencil in the official state-authorised manner and sit nicely for carpet-time indoctrination.

You can tell I prefer 'life-ready' as a goal to 'school-ready' can't you? ;)

Oh Bunyip...so much truth in what you say
It would take a whole conference to discuss the matters you raise such as carpet time....otherwise known as circle time which...if properly applied...is very beneficial to some children

School ready and life ready...the latter being the reason Tickell based her EYFS review on
now those are topics worth debating...like many others I have spoken to I feel 'school ready' has been misinterpreted but...how can we properly discuss in a forum rather than face-to-face...conferences are now hard to get to because of the cost, distance and suitability

MrsPixie
01-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Thanks for replying, feel better already! I really don't want a triple because my double doesn't even fit through my door and just goes through the gate! For small babies I could definately do the sling but I am limiting that thought as I wore my daughter in the sling until last month and at 24lbs it was exhausting in the end!

Hopefully I don't get any too young so I can just use a buggy board.