PDA

View Full Version : Assistant ratios question

amyp
31-05-2014, 05:35 PM
I need to pop to the drs next week can I leave my assistant with 5 kids? Thanks

blue bear
31-05-2014, 05:39 PM
I'd say not. I read recently where a childminders assistant or co-childminder not sure which it was took the school children to school and left the childminder with four, ofsted turned up and they got an inadequate I think or a needs improvement not sure which.

amyp
31-05-2014, 06:46 PM
But I think their own children were home too so had 7 in total. She will still be under the 6 maximum

Chatterbox Childcare
31-05-2014, 07:01 PM
I would take everyone with me and leave them in the waiting room. That way you are still on the premises and responsible if needed

amyp
31-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Oh that's an effort! I might cancel the appointment 5 under 18months may not be that quiet! Lol

Simona
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
EYFS 2012 page 21 (3.41) says children can be left with an assistant for 2 hrs 'at most in a single day' but the cm must get parental permission to do so

amyp
01-06-2014, 02:14 PM
I have the permission to leave them but she will have 4 not 3 (if I take my daughter with me) I think it's covered under continuity of care but I'll check

hectors house
02-06-2014, 06:45 AM
Unless my doctors appointment is for something "personal" that may require an examination I always take my mindees with me - :censored: all this talk of "school readiness" my children are "life ready" - there is a better chance that they will behave nicely at the doctors or in the bank with the parents if it's something they have already experienced with me.

If taking them with you isn't an option, I would take your daughter and leave assistant with 4 - making sure you have a) permission from parents to leave your assistant with them and b) you have informed parents that assistant will have 4 children under "continuity of care".

Don't know what kind of car you have, if it's an 7 seater I would drive to doctors, stay in car with assistant for as long as possible, popping in and out of surgery (or phone on mobile) to find out what the delay time is and then leave assistant in car with 5 children and lots of song CD's. Then at least you are only a phone call away and all children are safe in car.

bunyip
02-06-2014, 07:41 AM
AN aside. The current time limit for sole care provided by a suitably-trained assistant with parental consent is 2 hours. IIUC this time limit is based on consistency with the 2 hour limit for 'care not requiring registration'.

Since Whitehall seems determined to raise this to 3 hours for 'care not requiring registration', will they also raise the limit for sole care provided by an assistant to 3 hours?

Anybody know? :huh:

Simona
02-06-2014, 08:04 AM
AN aside. The current time limit for sole care provided by a suitably-trained assistant with parental consent is 2 hours. IIUC this time limit is based on consistency with the 2 hour limit for 'care not requiring registration'.

Since Whitehall seems determined to raise this to 3 hours for 'care not requiring registration', will they also raise the limit for sole care provided by an assistant to 3 hours?

Good question.
There is no reference to this in the EYFS 2014 where it remains at 2 hrs for assistants registered to work with a cm

My personal view is those 3 hours refer to parents who ask friends for the wraparound care AM and PM...it is not clear at all but then the DfE rushed to revise the EYFS before it had put all the changes in it...clear as mud as usual!

bunyip
02-06-2014, 08:15 AM
Thanks Simoana.

Having spent many a dull hour poring over 'all new improved' EYFS 2014, I'm struggling to see anything but a carbon copy version of EYFS 2012 with the words "....blah blah childminder agency blah blah...." hurriedly inserted. Am I missing something? :huh:

hectors house
02-06-2014, 08:24 AM

We asked this question at our childminding conference, it seems to be that this rule only apples to non childminders, once you and your home are registered you can't use this loop hole and have to keep to the 2 hour rule and ratios for assistants. Before my daughter was registered as my assistant it didn't matter that she babysat some of the mindees in their own homes, I couldn't leave her unattended with the children even with the parents consent.

Some one asked then why we bother to register when in actual fact you could look after school aged children for 1 1/2 hours before and after school, turn up with 10 children and no-one can stop you! You would just need to declare the income to HMRC, perfectly legal from Sept 14. :panic:

bunyip
02-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanks HH.

So, all nice, clear and logical then.

My local school has the reception class in for 1/2 days only during the first week of term*, so they still count as 'young' EY children and not 'rising 5s' - that only applies when they are in full-time education, ie. full days at school. We therefore have the following situation:-

1st week of term: I can only look after only 3 reception class children.

2nd week of term: I can look after 6 reception class children; my assistant could look after those 6 on her own for 2 hours.

3rd week of term: any unregistered, untrained, uninsured Tom, Dck or Harriet could look after the entire reception class for 3 hours.

Nice one, Ms Truss: raising standards again, eh? :confused:

*Not sure if this is meant to benefit the children or the school's staff. It sure as h3ll makes life difficult for parents and CMs. :mad:

Simona
02-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks Simoana.

Having spent many a dull hour poring over 'all new improved' EYFS 2014, I'm struggling to see anything but a carbon copy version of EYFS 2012 with the words "....blah blah childminder agency blah blah...." hurriedly inserted. Am I missing something? :huh:

There are a few things that should make our life easier as long as we are prepared to stand by what EYFS says...or we think it says and not be pressured in adding this bit or that bit of paperwork just in case :panic:
Many cms have not even glanced at the 'revised' EYFS leaving it to 31 August to update

The main change will be the SEN policy...that will require some understanding. ....paperwork should be less
As for agencies ...god knows what they will do as no model is prescribed and we are still to hear about the 'independent evaluation'

hectors house
02-06-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks HH.

So, all nice, clear and logical then.

My local school has the reception class in for 1/2 days only during the first week of term*, so they still count as 'young' EY children and not 'rising 5s' - that only applies when they are in full-time education, ie. full days at school. We therefore have the following situation:-

1st week of term: I can only look after only 3 reception class children.

2nd week of term: I can look after 6 reception class children; my assistant could look after those 6 on her own for 2 hours.

3rd week of term: any unregistered, untrained, uninsured Tom, Dck or Harriet could look after the entire reception class for 3 hours.

Nice one, Ms Truss: raising standards again, eh? :confused:

*Not sure if this is meant to benefit the children or the school's staff. It sure as h3ll makes life difficult for parents and CMs. :mad:

You are lucky that your reception children only go part time for first week - I have one child going to one school who will only be going 9 - 12 for first 6 weeks and not at all on a Wednesday and another child who is going to another school part time, on a shift rota - one week mornings, one week afternoons (about 2 hours) then swap back to mornings, then mornings staying to lunch etc for the first 6 weeks. Can't understand why as most children are used to being with a childminder or Nursery for 8+ hours a day - reception teachers say the children get very tired!

bunyip
03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
You are lucky that your reception children only go part time for first week - I have one child going to one school who will only be going 9 - 12 for first 6 weeks and not at all on a Wednesday and another child who is going to another school part time, on a shift rota - one week mornings, one week afternoons (about 2 hours) then swap back to mornings, then mornings staying to lunch etc for the first 6 weeks. Can't understand why as most children are used to being with a childminder or Nursery for 8+ hours a day - reception teachers say the children get very tired!

Personally I think it's the reception teachers who can't cope with too much at once. As you say, the children are generally fine.

I'm having to turn away families cos I can't do a "self-variation" until the receptioneers are doing full days. Must be murder in your 6-week situation. :panic: