PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted due and first aid invalid for 3 day period, advice please

Starfish007
31-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Hi, I am due to carry out my pediatric first aid training over 2 Saturdays at the end of June, which commences on the 21st, my previous certificate expires on the 25th which will result in a 3 day overlap in which my certificate runs and the completion of my course. The LA approved training in my area is limited so there wasn't a great deal of choice in dates so went with this.

Ofsted rang this week and want to do my visit next week (5 years since they last came out), Im sure they are going to pick up on this and Im getting really worried that my insurance wont be valid and I may get marked down.

Has anybody got any advice they can give me as im getting in a flap x

shortstuff
31-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Can you book those 3 days off so you wont be working?

Starfish007
31-05-2014, 12:24 PM
That would mean letting down 5 families, but yeh if my insurance is invalid I guess I wont have a choice. think the only alternative is to search for another first aid course that commences sooner x

shortstuff
31-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Yeah but its 3 days versus your registration. If there is a course available sooner then it goes without saying grab it. But personally I dont think its worth jeopardising your registration when you can book 3 days off.

Simona
31-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Hi, I am due to carry out my pediatric first aid training over 2 Saturdays at the end of June, which commences on the 21st, my previous certificate expires on the 25th which will result in a 3 day overlap in which my certificate runs and the completion of my course. The LA approved training in my area is limited so there wasn't a great deal of choice in dates so went with this.

Ofsted rang this week and want to do my visit next week (5 years since they last came out), Im sure they are going to pick up on this and Im getting really worried that my insurance wont be valid and I may get marked down.

Has anybody got any advice they can give me as im getting in a flap x

If Ofsted inspect you next week your FA is still valid...when she checks it and asks for your refresher tell the inspector you are booked already for that and show her the evidence
Another suggestion is you call your LA ask for their advice...see what they suggest but FA courses do not run every Saturday so there is always that problem of a small overlap while you complete the course

Good luck

sarah707
31-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Ofsted will say that you should have updated your training earlier ... you will get an inadequate grade ... it really is not worth working if you are doing it illegally :(

hugs xx

Starfish007
31-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys, yeh Sarah its not worth it. Ive noticed a course running next weekend by St Johns ambulance but need to find out if its LA approvedx

Simona
31-05-2014, 04:16 PM
That is true ...we can always update months earlier but FA is not available every weekend...I have just searched my LA training programme and there is nothing until Sept

maybe our LAs should do better planning around F/Aid since they constantly tell us to improve on our planning skills... they should not be excluded from improving on theirs!!

Mouse
31-05-2014, 04:24 PM
There have been instances where childminders have spoken to Ofsted about their first aid certificate being out of date by a short while & Ofsted has said it's OK as long as they are booked onto a course. I would phone ofsted on Monday and check. If they say it is OK, then make sure you get it in writing. If it's not OK you will either need to get on the earlier course, or take the days off work.

Simona
31-05-2014, 05:12 PM
There have been instances where childminders have spoken to Ofsted about their first aid certificate being out of date by a short while & Ofsted has said it's OK as long as they are booked onto a course. I would phone ofsted on Monday and check. If they say it is OK, then make sure you get it in writing. If it's not OK you will either need to get on the earlier course, or take the days off work.

Thank you Mouse...That is exactly what I am going to do ...ring my LA and then call Ofsted and hear it from the horse's mouth :thumbsup:

blue bear
31-05-2014, 05:35 PM
My friend went on a course where you do me day then do the second part at home on the Internet. Think it was called tigerlilly, is anything like that available near you then ring la to see if they will approve it,our la did.

Starfish007
31-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Thanks blue bear Ive just looked and theres one near me in a couple of weeks which would be perfect, will speak to LA Monday x

hectors house
31-05-2014, 06:44 PM
If you have a current first aid certificate when they inspect you and you can show them a receipt with dates on to prove that you have booked onto a course then I don't see how they can downgrade you on that day. My first aid course was cancelled at the beginning of March and my certificate expired at the end of March, I just managed to on another course in time.

FloraDora
31-05-2014, 07:32 PM
I completed a St Johns paediatric first aid, it was approved by my LA......if I had waited for LA there wasn't one available for 3 months...so I went for the St Johns to start my registration rolling, but it cost £125 over free from LA!
Paying the money is probably worth it to not get an inadequate.

Simona
31-05-2014, 08:21 PM
I completed a St Johns paediatric first aid, it was approved by my LA......if I had waited for LA there wasn't one available for 3 months...so I went for the St Johns to start my registration rolling, but it cost £125 over free from LA!
Paying the money is probably worth it to not get an inadequate.

Agree that paying is possibly the answer...it may have to be for me too but won't go that way until I get an answer...that will surely make More Affordable Childcare won't it?

however...if a cm can get downgraded for failing to get on a non existent course should the LAs not get the same treatment if they fail to provide what they are supposed to be entrusted with under whichever Act it refers to?
What goes around should also come around :thumbsup:

buzzy bee
01-06-2014, 07:14 AM
I had this problem recently and phoned PACEY - they said as long as my first aid course was booked in then my insurance was still valid - even though there was a gap of about a month. I phoned Ofsted to check and they were happy too. So I think you'll be fine.

carol cameron
01-06-2014, 01:01 PM
I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. I was told by Ofsted that I needed to ensure I had a valid certificate and that being booked on the course was not good enough !
I ended up doing the course earlier than I needed to to make sure I was covered. It really does depend on who you speak to but as Sarah Neville says , it's not worth the risk.

k1rstie
01-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Surely if your inspection is next week, you do not have a worry. You are being inspected for that day and not the future. If she asks if you have another course booked you reply yes.

Starfish007
01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
I know my inspection is next week but because it runs out very soon I think the inspector will probably ask to see proof that I am booked onto a course x

hectors house
01-06-2014, 08:16 PM
I can't see how it is any different from when I used to go to post office to get Car Tax (do it on line now) but as long as your MOT certificate and insurance certificate were in date you could get your tax - it didn't matter if they expired the following week.

Simona
01-06-2014, 08:43 PM
I know my inspection is next week but because it runs out very soon I think the inspector will probably ask to see proof that I am booked onto a course x

The inspector will need to see your 'current' FA is valid...and next week it is still valid
you are booked on a refresher and you can evidence that....but you will be 3 days out before your new certificate is issued to you...

let's get that sorted by asking a few questions to the appropriate depts.: LAs...associations and Ofsted itself because everyone has a different opinion on this and none are reassuring

I appreciate that people are saying 'it is not worth the risk'...no one is on purpose taking the risk...as said the alternative is to pay but you may have no time to do that

All ready to make a few phone calls tomorrow?... and get back with the answers we get...have a good evening and do not fret ...get ready for your inspection.... that is the most important thing for you
Good luck

Starfish007
02-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Good news guys, spoken to Ofsted and they say as long as im booked onto a course, and have written evidence of this there is no problem, Ive taken name of person too. Ive rung pacey re insurance and they are absolutely fine with it too, they are going to log the phone call. Feel so much better now x

hectors house
02-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Well that clears that up for Starfish - just wish we could have it in writing in the Stat guidance so all inspectors follow the same common sense.

shortstuff
02-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Good news guys, spoken to Ofsted and they say as long as im booked onto a course, and have written evidence of this there is no problem, Ive taken name of person too. Ive rung pacey re insurance and they are absolutely fine with it too, they are going to log the phone call. Feel so much better now x

Brill news.

Simona
02-06-2014, 08:40 AM

Well done you!
I was about to call everyone but my landline has died...aarrgghh
Now concentrate on your inspection...waiting for your feedback
Good luck!!

rickysmiths
02-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Ofsted will say that you should have updated your training earlier ... you will get an inadequate grade ... it really is not worth working if you are doing it illegally :(

hugs xx

I have to say that is what should happen but not always does. I had a minder locally who got the call for her first graded inspection and asked for some help.

When I walked into her house if I had been an inspector she would have got inadequate! She did't have her cert on the wall, her First Aid had lapsed but she was booked on a course, she had not got the correct car insurance etc etc. Nothing could be done about the FA, I advised her to ring Ofsted and tell them what had happened and ask them to note on her record when she was booked on a course so the Inspector didn't walk in and just find out the information. The childminder was graded Good. We sorted all the other issues!

rickysmiths
02-06-2014, 09:14 AM
If you have a current first aid certificate when they inspect you and you can show them a receipt with dates on to prove that you have booked onto a course then I don't see how they can downgrade you on that day. My first aid course was cancelled at the beginning of March and my certificate expired at the end of March, I just managed to on another course in time.

This is what happened to the cm I helped. Ofsted were fine when she notified them. I think common sense had to prevail you don't forget all your FA from one day to the next do you?

rickysmiths
02-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Agree that paying is possibly the answer...it may have to be for me too but won't go that way until I get an answer...that will surely make More Affordable Childcare won't it?

however...if a cm can get downgraded for failing to get on a non existent course should the LAs not get the same treatment if they fail to provide what they are supposed to be entrusted with under whichever Act it refers to?
What goes around should also come around :thumbsup:

Agencies should certainly be downgraded in an instance like this.

Starfish007
02-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Will let you know if the inspector questions it x

carol cameron
02-06-2014, 09:49 AM
So glad it's sorted for you. Hope your inspection goes well. Good luck:)

Starfish007
02-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Ive also got my end of year exam tomorrow for degree so double stressing x

bulldog
02-06-2014, 02:43 PM
I find myself in a similar position.
Mine was due end of May, booked a course in April but was taken ill on the course so couldnt complete it.
Rang Ofsted and insurance and was told basically "no problem"
Gave them the date of the course Im now booked on in July, no issue.

Altho I did do an online refresher...just to "show willing!"

Starfish007
04-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Inspection went really well, the inspector was fine about the overlap in first aid, she said it went in my favour that id contacted ofsted to raise my concerns x

Mouse
04-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Inspection went really well, the inspector was fine about the overlap in first aid, she said it went in my favour that id contacted ofsted to raise my concerns x

Well done :thumbsup:

shortstuff
04-06-2014, 07:59 PM

Brilliant news. Sounds like your inspector was a good one.

loocyloo
04-06-2014, 08:00 PM

well done, and I'm glad you had a sensible inspector x