PDA

View Full Version : Newly qualified and just discovered pregnant

CCC123
29-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Hi everyone.
I qualified and started childminding just last month - it's going really well and I'm loving it!!
Discovered today I'm pregnant - yeah!!!! Been trying for well over two years and had pretty much given up deciding to just be grateful for what we have and move on with the change of direction so I could spend more time with my 3yr old.
Whether it was stress from previous job or the travelling, who knows but first month I leave it finally happens!!
Looking for some advice - I am pretty much full with 2 children 4 days a week and have fantastic parents that I don't want to go elsewhere but for medical reasons will need to take at least 3months off afterwards.
Another childminder who qualified at the same time as me is very quiet... Would it be possible for her to childmind from my premises and transfer the LO's to her while on maternity leave?
If anyone has any experience of co-minding i would really appreciate your views...
Thanks xx

Mouse
29-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Congratulations!

Years ago I took on a new child, then discovered I was pregnant.

I had a good childminder friend who took my children on for me while I took 4 months maternity leave. The children went to her house & were signed up to her. The risk was always that the children would end up stopping there, but I trusted her not to try keeping them, which she didn't! Personally, I wouldn't have wanted her coming to my house. While I was on maternity leave I wanted a complete break from childminding and wouldn't have welcomed my friend coming to my house - and neither would she have wanted to come here to work! Is there any reason why this other cm couldn't have the children in her own home?

CCC123
29-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Thanks Mouse! It's not sunk in yet!!
I guess I'm just trying to think of a way that will not put my parents out and the lady I was thinking of talking to about it, isn't as local to them and I would have a lot more space here.
I need to decide how long I'll be taking off and make decisions based on that. It would be nice to just focus on my little family for a while instead of worrying about work!
Once I'm further along and know everything is ok I'll have a chat with some local childminders and see if they have availability. I'll have 2 under 5 of my own until sep 2015 so will factor in whether worthwhile rushing back or try and take full maternity... Xx

Bumble Beez
29-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Ooh congratulations :clapping:

I would see if parents would be happy to use other childminder for the short period you would be off on maternity, or they may be able to call on family and friends.

I agree that it would be a better option if they were in another setting as you don't want to have to worry about getting up and 'work' being there...
Take the time you need and if the parents and children are happy and settled with you they will understand and stick with you x

Good luck with everything x

Sarah x

wee_elf
29-05-2014, 10:29 PM
congratulations!!!! :clapping:

Nogin
30-05-2014, 07:27 AM
We have been there with our second. It's a no brainer...

Yes we lost a parent or two but we have a beautiful son and it takes no time for the CM kids to come back.

Congrats to you.

CCC123
01-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks everyone. Now I'm beginning to get used to the shock it's definitely not worth considering sharing the house - going to just enjoy being a mum and spending those precious early days together xx

Elkie Mawdsley
02-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Same quandry here! Mine was a bit of a shock two as my lo is only 8 months - but I am happy about it. Only have one little one on books (who signed up last month) worried about telling the mum when the time comes but I'm hoping she will ne understanding. He is only part time and I don't plan to take too long off so hopefully it won't be an issue. Xx