PDA

View Full Version : Parent message

alex__17
28-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Just had a parent of an after schooler that I have mon-thurs ring and leave a message saying she's just had her hours reduced at work so only needs me mon for the next 3 weeks and that's it for June... Bearing in mind its half term and she's only just let me know, I know I should demand fees are paid but in reality don't want there to be bad feeling... But I'm on the verge of turning another after schooler down so if this happens from sept too I'll be so annoyed, she's term time only,
What would others do or have others done in this position?

AliceK
28-05-2014, 04:40 PM
I have an AS who does the same. My contracts state 4 weeks notice of hols (which I would take this as) so IF I get 4 weeks notice then I only charge half but otherwise I charge full.

Mind you my AS is almost 9 so isn't in my numbers.

xxx

alex__17
28-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Maybe I'll let her off this time as to be honest I wont miss the child as she's hard work but ask if she can be honest and whether she thinks this will happen again as I cant let her off again.
People dont realise we have bills to pay too!

rickysmiths
28-05-2014, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't let her off. I have four weeks notice to change hours and they can not give notice when I am on holiday so for me I would run notice from next Monday when I am back from holiday.

I would be writing to her and saying I am sorry to hear about your reduction in hours and I note from xxx date your fees will reduce to. Until that time your fees will be xxx. Can you confirm by return that these will be the hours you will require at the beginning of Sept so I can review our Contracts and know what days/hours I will have to offer other families.

I would keep the other after schooler on the back burner until this parent confirms what hours they want in Sept and see if you can do both. Otherwise give the current family notice now and take on the new ones. Your business, your choice. Parents won't think twice about giving you notice if it suits them. We are a business not a charity and shouldn't for get this.

KatieFS
28-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Agree with Ricky!

I can be flexible about many things - but not money! This is my job and I expect to be paid notice as per the terms of the contract.
Come on, it isn't a highly paid profession so you have to make sure you look after every penny.just my opinion. I always make it clear to parents this us my business and my job, if you don't pay me as agreed then I can't pay my bills or feed my family. I lay it on thick so they get the message!!

alex__17
28-05-2014, 09:15 PM
I've probably been too soft but have emailed her now and let her off this time, but did make it clear she either pays up next time or gives me notice, laid it on thick that less tha a week isn't acceptable as I will struggle with bills now. Hate this side of it, when I had a childminder for my son when I went back to work I took him out 3 weeks before notice period ended and it didn't even cross my mind not to pay for those weeks, I wouldn't of had the cheek to question it as I'd signed the contract, wish I wasn't being so soft now but I don't want her to just say oh forget it then I'm left without the child and she won't pay notice. In future I'll be holding a month deposit from the start, so I don't have to worry about parents trying it on and leaving without giving notice

bunyip
29-05-2014, 08:02 AM
The only bill that should be of mutual interest is the one the CM gives their clients, and we should never feel the need to justify demanding the money. :(

I don't mean to be harsh on anyone, but I shall be blunt. I would never tell parents "I have bills to pay". Frankly, they know that, and spelling it out sounds awfully un-businesslike; and perhaps a little patronising and whingey. I daresay my bills of are absolutely zero interest to my clients; they are well aware I have them like anybody else, but I'm quite sure none of them care 2 hoots about how I ever pay them.

This is all about contracts and consequences. Both parties freely signed, but somehow the parent is going to break the notice terms whilst the CM takes the consequences. How fair is that? That's not just a mistake for now, but also setting a dangerous precedent for the future - for this and all other clients who want to be treated the same way next time around. No offence, alex, but you run a serious risk of making yourself into a bit of a doormat on this. As Rickysmiths says, parents will not think twice about giving us notice. This one now thinks it's fine to give you immediate notice, whether that's for a change of hours or to leave altogether.

For one thing, you need to know what she'll do in September, and I fear there's every chance she'll just make all the right reassuring noises until she does want to leave and then just scoot without warning. Why would she do anything else? :huh: IIWY I'd get that contract review done now and get the month's deposit now to guard against that possibility. You have every right to demand a contract review since the change of hours is a significant change. It amounts to a whole new arrangement, which you may or may not wish to agree to, or might want to reconsider the fees given the reduced amount of work being offered to you, so I'd be wanting to redraw the entire contract.

And what about the mum's contract with her employer? It's not your fault that her employer can give her such short notice of reduced hours (unless, of course, she knew before but only just got round to mentioning it), so again she should bear the consequences and not expect you to do so for her.

One last thing: get your business head on. :thumbsup: I know from experience it's easy to want to see a bit less of a 'challenging' child. I also know it's easy to want to avoid bad feeling. But again, you don't have to take responsibility for the bad feeling. You won't have caused it if you're acting fairly according to a contract that the parent entered into freely. Mum is responsible for her own emotions: if she takes offence, even though you've not offered any offence, that's entirely her business. Sometimes we have to take the hard decisions and accept that they aren't necessarily going to please a client. I'm the first to admit it's very hard to balance the 'caring' and 'business' aspects of a 'caring business'. But let's face it: if this mum's actions cause you to lose your September after-school enquiry, is she going to feel bad on your behalf? or consider how you pay your September bills? Not likely! :mad:

Remember: it's not our job to be liked or loved by our clients, nor to bend over backwards in an attempt to be so. :(