PDA

View Full Version : lo2 walks away from group activities

Rickers83
28-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Doesn't matter what it is, painting, music, pretend play etc
Within the first couple of minutes he gets up and goes and sits by himself, or sometimes follows me round like a shadow if I am clearing up in another room.

Hes been here nearly 7 months & his older brother is here too so not that he doesn't know other children or setting, he seems much better during school time when there's only 2 of them here although he still doesn't engage in activities for very long

Any ideas for getting him involved as got another 10.5 hour day tomorrow and its hard work when he wont join in with anything we do

shortstuff
28-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Have youtried asking him to help you with an aspect of the activity? I generally find with los who struggle to join in they like to help the adult with something.

watford wizz
28-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Wonder if it's to do with having older sibling and not being as good as x at things so gives up. I would try separate activities, how parents treat them ? Are they holding their "baby" back ?

Rickers83
28-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Have youtried asking him to help you with an aspect of the activity? I generally find with los who struggle to join in they like to help the adult with something.

I find it quite hard to "ask" him anything, all i ever get is 'huh' and then he walks away...... Unless its food related!! Which leads me to think its selective hearing, it just makes it so difficult to engage him in anything, ive tried the left hand on shoulder technique which is supposed to engage a boys hearing, he still walks away or looks at the floor ignoring me.
Not sure what else to do?