PDA

View Full Version : Garden equipment/activities for over 5s??

Maza
28-05-2014, 10:53 AM
My garden is pretty sorted for toddlers in terms of equipment, activities, organisation etc. Obviously there's always more that you can do but generally I'm pretty happy with it. My DD will be six soon and although she will play in the garden it's not really challenging her in any learning area anymore. Obviously all age groups love planting and mini beasts, but apart from that it is really a toddlers play space at the moment. What do your older kids/mindees love in their gardens? x

loocyloo
28-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Mine still love the sand and water. ( and the ride ons they are too big for! )
I have a slide/swing/small climbing thing that the older ones play on.
They have a den in the trees that you can only play in when you go to 'proper' school! ( from reception although I am thinking of changing it to yr 1 ! ) my big girls .. age 8 and up like making fairy gardens and I currently have a tree adorned with ribbons and homemade chimes/dream catchers and the like, plus fairy doors and windows.
They also do alot of fairy 'cooking' for tea parties.
My big boys just like to kick a football around, play basketball or other assorted ball games.

Maza
28-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Some great ideas loocyloo! Thanks for sharing! x

watford wizz
28-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Mine like a quiet book/ colouring corner away from little ones x

Maza
28-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Mine like a quiet book/ colouring corner away from little ones x

Me too! Just kidding...

zanacal
28-05-2014, 06:50 PM
My boys just take random small toys, figures etc. in to the garden and go off on to their own planets :) They quite like chalking on the floor, ball games, bikes etc. but I love watching them using their imaginations!

hectors house
28-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Stopped off at a local sawmills last week and picked up 4 large stepping stone logs - only cost £2.50 - buying them was a learning experience for older children as we had to drive onto weigh bridge, then choose logs and re-weigh the car - Maths without even leaving the car! I already had 2 stepping stones that I carried for miles through the woods at weekends while walking my dogs - buying them at the sawmills was far easier - the older children told me how to lay them out incorporating a balance board plank, then they added in the small slide, a hoop and a couple of juggling balls to throw through the washing line while running down big slide!

greanan
28-05-2014, 08:14 PM
I'll be watching this thread aswell - in need of some ideas