PDA

View Full Version : Physical activities on a rainy day?

Maza
28-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Sooooo sick of this weather. Really need to get out and about but am stuck for ideas. Don't want to spend money, so soft play centres are not an option. One of my LOs has got inappropriate footwear, so a walk in the woods is not really an option. Playgroups are all closed for half term. The equipment in the park would all be drenched. Museums too far away. Indoor physical activities not an option as downstairs neighbour never goes out and would get grumpy if we started jumping about. Guess we will have to go to the library. Any other ideas? Don't know any other minders and all my DDs friends have gone swimming. Think I'm just in a negative mood today. x

Lal
28-05-2014, 10:36 AM
It really is miserable for May. Could you take a couple of large towels to the park and dry off some of the equipment? Could you go on an 'urban nature walk' looking out for bugs, birds and other wildlife? Although, would the inappropriate shoes be a problem? Hope you find something to do. :)

Maza
28-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Good ideas Lal. I think it's more my mood than the weather that's restricting us -you know when some days you just wake up and all you can see are obstacles? I need to give myself a good talking to.

watford wizz
28-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Waterproof suits Wellies and get out and have some fun, you could even involve the children if you want. Will release your happyness and give you a good work out. X we then have more fun washing off waterproofs with the hose pipe. Wet weather just part of living in this country.

loocyloo
28-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Good ideas Lal. I think it's more my mood than the weather that's restricting us -you know when some days you just wake up and all you can see are obstacles? I need to give myself a good talking to.

I feel the same this week. I've totally exhausted my ideas for wet play! One of mine has come in little ballet shoes so the woods were out! Was also planning a yomp up the muddy hill to check the frogs .. can't do that either! ( apparently dad can't find wellies at home so thought I had them ... nope! So didn't then put LO in boots or trainers! )
We've actually come to flamingoland and seen lots of animals in the drizzle and been on a couple of dry rides! Now playing on the soft play! It's a 'free' day out for us as we have passes.
Only got LO and my 2 and they act like mother hens with this particular LO!

Although some days we go in the woods regardless of footwear ... I find it concentrates parents minds a bit when shoes get wet and muddy! But I do have to have the energy to deal with everyone being wet and muddy! ( and today I don't! )

hectors house
28-05-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm lucky enough to have storage for about 10 pairs of welly boots from size 4 to size 10 (with several duplicated sizes) and 4 pairs of waterproof trousers - I just have to hope they all bring a coat as I have only a couple of spares.

Have today spent £81 on a local residents annual pass for Longleat (ticket just for me) - took the boys out there for 3 hours this morning - a couple of the older children have got their own tickets so will just have to let parents know to always send their card in their bags. We will probably go out there a couple of mornings a week so will get my money's worth.

loocyloo
28-05-2014, 12:56 PM
I'm lucky enough to have storage for about 10 pairs of welly boots from size 4 to size 10 (with several duplicated sizes) and 4 pairs of waterproof trousers - I just have to hope they all bring a coat as I have only a couple of spares.

Have today spent £81 on a local residents annual pass for Longleat (ticket just for me) - took the boys out there for 3 hours this morning - a couple of the older children have got their own tickets so will just have to let parents know to always send their card in their bags. We will probably go out there a couple of mornings a week so will get my money's worth.

I used to have wellies but had parents who then never sent wellies and so when I moved I stopped keeping them. I do have waterproof suits for the littlest ones.

Enjoy Longleat. I haven't been there for years!

FloraDora
28-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Had a great time this morning deciding lunch, writing a shopping list, finding a bag, walking through the puddles to the local co op, finding everything on our list, quick look in the smelly pet shop and then home via the noisy road ( the bridge over a duel carriageway, my LO loves to watch the fast cars and lorries go under the bridge and out the otherside. )
Home to creating a shop ......endless focussed play recreating our trip and then lunch. We didn't really notice the rain whilst we were out, but my soggy hall is witness to the amount of puddles we jumped in!!
Asleep now and the enthusiasm for tackling the wet gear is wearing off! All good fun though.

Maza
28-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Well we had a fabulous afternoon in the end! We put on our waterproofs and got a tube to a new park. Took a towel to wipe everything down. The little one with the inappropriate shoes was fast asleep in his pushchair, so well timed on my part! Because it was drizzly the park was pretty empty - which I prefer! We then stumbled upon a 'Fun Day' in a local church and so we did some painting there, and even the little one with inappropriate shoes could join in with that! Got ice creams, a nice walk along the river and then, ooops, into a toy shop. Why, why, why did I do that? Bought some lego (we don't have any) and was forced to buy a cuddly toy cat too. They are now all playing nicely with the new stuff while I prepare tea (and pop on here). Can't believe what a grump I was this morning! x

loocyloo
28-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Well we had a fabulous afternoon in the end! We put on our waterproofs and got a tube to a new park. Took a towel to wipe everything down. The little one with the inappropriate shoes was fast asleep in his pushchair, so well timed on my part! Because it was drizzly the park was pretty empty - which I prefer! We then stumbled upon a 'Fun Day' in a local church and so we did some painting there, and even the little one with inappropriate shoes could join in with that! Got ice creams, a nice walk along the river and then, ooops, into a toy shop. Why, why, why did I do that? Bought some lego (we don't have any) and was forced to buy a cuddly toy cat too. They are now all playing nicely with the new stuff while I prepare tea (and pop on here). Can't believe what a grump I was this morning! x

Sounds like a lovely day. Glad you had fun. X

wee_elf
28-05-2014, 04:24 PM
sounds like a great day in the end :) x

Maza
28-05-2014, 05:42 PM
It just goes to show that boredom and frustration are just a mindset! Wonder what mood I'll wake up in tomorrow!