PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have tadpoles this year?

JCrakers
28-05-2014, 07:43 AM
We collected some frogs spawn as my dd had found some in a small pond on a patch of land that was obviously going to dry up. There is a pond next to it but this area was just left over from the flooding.

We have around 30 tadpoles which are doing well. around 8 have definite back legs and their bodies have changed to look more like a frog ... the others are a bit slower

I love frogs and will release them back into the pond which was near where we found them.

Koala
28-05-2014, 07:53 AM
YEY, TADDIES, I have had them before, they are great and so cute, loads of fun and really quite hardy creatures, I bet you are really excited to see how they grow and fantastic for the children - have fun.

Well done for rescuing them and giving them a chance. :littleangel:

AgentTink
28-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Yeah we collected some frogspawn from a field by us. The same thing happens every year and the park keepers are always looking for people to take it as there is no pond for the frogspawn.

We collected ours at middle of March and by last week we had about 40 froglets. We have kept 3 to watch grow further.

the children loved watching them even the younger ones. Took me back to being little :thumbsup:

Kerry30
28-05-2014, 08:20 AM
I had some tadpoles but unfortunately they all died last weekend ;( gutted cos i was looking forward to seeing them change as much as the children

watford wizz
28-05-2014, 08:54 AM
We have a dustbin lid pond and having been given some spawn from a local pond 4 years ago now have our own every spring. Soooo exciting and the children like it to!! X

Simona
28-05-2014, 09:10 AM
I have had frogs in my garden for years...I would not harm them but I wish they would stop jumping all over the place and land on my feet!

Last time it happened I screamed so loud...my children still recall that and laugh at me

JCrakers
28-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Glad to hear everyone else is having fun with their tadpoles.

I had some a couple of years ago but not as many. I think I had about 7 frogs and I kept one for a week longer as I just couldn't say goodbye to him :panic: :p He was soooo cute!!
8382 I've attached a picture of him (or her)

There was a frog in our garden not too long ago and I always wonder if it was froggy coming back to say hello...lol

smurfette
28-05-2014, 10:55 AM
We have frogs in our garden, there is a pond two doors down but high walls in between so not sure how they got here! We think it's probably wet and marshy under our deck but they don't seem to live there, instead are way down the garden, dh finds them when mowing and pops them in a bucket for us to look at then we let
them out again! I wish we had frog spawn would
Love to see them
Change!

loocyloo
28-05-2014, 11:20 AM
We have occasional frogs in our pond ... and I have seen frogspawn but we have newts and I think they must eat it :-( a neighbour has the same issues.

We do go and check the tadpoles in the pond up the hill and next year I am planning on bringing some in to watch ... question is where to put it as the guinea pigs live in the best place.

hsav
28-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Last year we brought some indoors to watch grow then put them back in the pond as froglets, was lovely seeing them grow and my daughters enjoyed seeing the changes that happened.

This year we have left them all in the pond and they have started growing legs this past week :)

mama2three
29-05-2014, 07:24 AM
My little ones were fascinated by them - I take them back to the pond once they get to the escapee stage , cant be doing with froglets around my lounge!!