PDA

View Full Version : Child who shouts = hearing problems?

buzzy bee
27-05-2014, 01:10 PM
I have a child who shouts a lot - I mean instead of talking in a quiet voice. If I remind him not to shout or to talk quietly, he whispers instead. He doesn't seem to have an inbetween.

On the other hand he hates loud noises like aeroplanes or thunder - he puts his hands over his ears and it seems to really affect him.

Do you think there could be a problem with his hearing or is this quite normal for a 4 year old?

muffins
27-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Its possible he has a hearing problem but I would have thought it would have been picked up by now.

My son who has just turned 4 shouts alot, he does talk at what I would call normal level too but not much. He too whispers when I tell him to quiten down, I think he just doesn't quite grasp exactly what I mean.

I would suggest suggesting to parents to get him checked out though as its probably best to make sure before he goes to school.

k1rstie
27-05-2014, 01:28 PM
I have a lo who's mother can be heard from the end of the street. Due to this, it took some time for lo's hearing problem to be diagnosed, after much nagging from me. Even the doctor commented on the volume of mum!

In the holidays, I try to meet family at the end of the drive way, so she dies not wake my teenager up.

With the OP question, have you tried suggesting 'indoor voices' , I think this is a common phrase use in schools!

AliceK
27-05-2014, 01:31 PM
I have a mindee (nearly 3) who is the same, he only has 1 volume and that is LOUD, all the time. I have to keep reminding him to use his Indoor voice which he does for a few seconds then he is back to LOUD again. School children also have this problem but that is down to "playground voice" lol.
My DD has hearing problems and wears hearing aids but before she was diagnosed she was the opposite, she spoke very softly, I guess she could hear herself in her head so thought everyone could hear her which they couldn't.

xxx

QualityCare
27-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Can be normal especially if there is a lot of constant noise at home, tv on all the time and everyone has to shout above it to be heard, although these children hear loud noise constantly at home they haven,t been exposed to 'normal' loud noises and will cover their ears.I have a 2&4yr old who are both loud. It is hard to break the habit of talking loudly and you will need to constantly remind him to use a quiet voice, l use a hand signal arm raised and lower it as turning the volume down and say quiet voice please, now l just get the childs attention and just use the hand gesture it is working and mum has commented that they are quieter (tv is still on all day).

FussyElmo
27-05-2014, 02:07 PM
My ds doesn't come with volume control and he hates loud noises. I have always found it to be strange. But hearing is a sense so could be sensory and he cant abide having his socks on crooked either :rolleyes:

We have found talking to him quietly does sometimes help but in reality his dad is exactly the same so Im fighting a losing battle :laughing::laughing:

loocyloo
27-05-2014, 03:12 PM
My mum is loud and I have always spoken loudly. After years dh has quietened me a bit but as soon as I talk to my mum ... I'm loud again!

Simona
27-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Could it be Glue ear?

SYLVIA
28-05-2014, 07:35 AM
I have 2 siblings who are really loud. I'm constantly asking them to stop shouting. The parents are the same so I assume it's just a normal voice for the family.