PDA

View Full Version : Illnesses to exclude for

danemi1
26-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Just finalising my policies ready for my pre reg inspection

What illnesses do I need to exclude for and for how long...and what about nits...yuck!

Pixie dust
26-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Here is the link to the HPA guide to infection and control...it has all the common childhood illnesses and exclusion periods. I have a downloaded copy with my policy to show parents too if needed.

HPA - Guidance on Infection Control in Schools and other Child Care Settings (http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1203496946639)

danemi1
26-05-2014, 10:10 PM
A zillion thank you's xxxxxx off to do the same

Dragonfly
27-05-2014, 06:55 AM
You Dont exclude for much according to that list. I do exclude for a couple of days for conjuntivitis as spreads like mad in toddlers.

Koala
27-05-2014, 07:22 AM
HPA is ok but it is your setting so you have to be happy with everything - like nits!! I exclude until treatment and no creepy crawlies!! :panic: conjunctivitis too - I think what would I be happy having my lo exposed to - if i'm not happy - I exclude and parents who attend my setting have the same ethos. :thumbsup: As long as everyone is on the same wave length - A OK! - if you get a parent who doesn't give a stuff then that is when problems occur - :thumbsup:it doesn't matter what is in your policies :angry: but good luck, I know it is a lot of hard work. :D And a lot of getting the perfect policies for your setting is about making mistakes and moving forward accordingly. :thumbsup:

AliceK
27-05-2014, 07:54 AM
I use the HPA sheet as a guide but on top of that I too will exclude for conjunctivitis until treatment has started. The same with nits, if I see them I will inform the parent as soon as poss and tell them that providing they treat that evening I will not exclude ( but if parent doesn't bother then I will exclude.)
General coughs / colds etc I will accept and will give Calpol / Ibuprofen as neccs with parents permission so that the child can feel a bit better.

Obviously things like D&V I always exclude for.

xxx