PDA

View Full Version : Building work risk assessment

alex__17
24-05-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm getting an extension done to my kitchen soon, its been planned for years but we've finally saved enough up.

Planning for it to be done over summer holidays or very close to so that the knock through and builders in house is in holidays so no after schoolers here as they're all TTO.

At the moment the other children I have is a little girl just mornings, so we usually go out for a lot of the morning so we'd be able to avoid it all fairly easily, and siblings one day a week all day.
I know I have to provide outdoor access and we do spend most of our time in the garden when we're home, so the builders we have chosen are going to fully fence off everything with 6 foot high fencing, so we should be able to get outside into the back garden via the side of the house (extension is along back so back door out of use). We'd also normally be doing much more outdoor trips etc over summer so again I think we can avoid things more than we could in winter, and we're going to use it as an opportunity to do construction/diggers/building type activities etc as the kids are obsessed with the diggers doing building work at the end of the road anyway!

Building work is estimated to take 9 weeks max and the builders will not come into the house at all until knock through near the very end at which point I'd most likely close for a couple of weeks. They're bringing a portaloo so won't need to come indoors at all until the work outside is done.

What sort of things apart from the obvious should I include on the risk assessment? Obviously I'll be logging all tradesmen each day in my logbook, even if they're only outside as they'll be on the premises even if not inside the actual house, and have had assurances that everything will be fenced off, including the skip at the front of the house and any materials that are delivered, and will check this each day to ensure it can't be accessed by the children. As always I will be with them when in the garden anyway, and rather than have the door open so they have free access in and out from the living room we'd instead need to all go out together at a set time and all come in together if needed.

I feel like I'm missing some bigs things...we are usually out a lot of the day anyway so would plan to do that while the work is going on, and I'd obviously never not have the kids with me, but when visitors are in the house that is standard anyway they're always supervised, I want to include risk assessments when I inform ofsted of the work, and am expecting my first inspection soon too so need to know it is all covered beforehand.

Grateful for any advice from those that have done similar

sarah707
25-05-2014, 06:11 PM
I think you've thought about most things - smoking on the premises, safeguarding, outside play safety, trips and falls over their stuff on the drive, leaving doors open, fire escape practice...

Hth :D