PDA

View Full Version : Part time co minding and part time in own home?

samb
23-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Is the above possible?

I am getting too full and a childminder friend is too empty. We are thinking about her working in my home part time as my co minder 8-3 and then we would go our separate ways for school runs and back to our own homes. Can this work? What do you do in terms of ofsted? Would she have to be inspected at mine and her homes? Would I pay her a wage whilst she works with me? My timetable is made of bitty children so difficult to say she would get paid for x and x and x for example as they may be here when she is not for some bits.

Any ideas?

Koala
24-05-2014, 02:58 AM
I would register her as your assistant whilst she is in your home which would enable you to double your numbers (space allowable) and she would presumably be registered as a childminder in her own right at her own home.

Remember you will need employers liability - this can generally be added to your public liability for a small amount if you haven't already got it. I know you probably wouldn't be classed as her employer but this insurance needs to be in place.

Here's the down side :D Plan for problems always remember that no one is reliable than yourself:
What if your friend is off sick?
What if you fall out?
What if she gets jealous that you are full and she isn't?
What about her and your holidays? do they coincide?
What does she want out of the role?
Do you have the same ethos?

On the plus side - as she is a childminder already - I presume she is quite adept at dealing with children and doesn't have to be trained and continually instructed to do this - do that or don't do this, don't do that.

I'm not sure about payment and benefits - I would get first hand info from HMRC who we all love. Good luck on your venture.

samb
25-05-2014, 09:00 AM
There's so much to think about I really don't know what is best. Anyone else co mind with someone who is not someone living in your home? Wondering how you work out money side of things?