PDA

View Full Version : First interview next week, What do I need to do?

jw19nr
25-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Hello. I have my first interview with a set of parents for a 4year old girl, who will be at school full time, so will class as an over five which is good.

Anyway, what I need to know is, what should I have prepared? What will they want to see?

Also, will they need to see upstairs (bathroom is downstairs, my bedroom is registered for sleep)? I just want to know how much housework I need to have done!

They sound really nice, so fingers crossed they choose me!

sarah707
25-07-2008, 10:38 PM
They will see whatever parts of the house you choose to show them!! You are in charge don't forget :cool:

I would think just your downstairs areas and the toilet bit will be enough tbh.

Apart from that, talk them through your policies and procedures, ask loads of questions about their dd and find out what you can about her. If she's there, try and talk to her and ask what she likes to do.

Good luck! :D

Cazz
25-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Just wanted to say Good Luck!!

I haven't got to that stage yet but it must be nerve wracking the first couple of times. When I start I plan to have a checklist to tick off so that I don't forget anything and can make notes - hope that won't look unprofessional but knowing me I would forget something!

Let us know how it goes.

Carole x

hillbilly
26-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi

Hope this all goes well for you, I know how daunting it can be. I feel its really important to be yourself. many parents go with their gut instinct about a childminder, so try to be relaxed. I always try to follow a pattern when I have parents coming. First of all, I let them chat, telling me about their child, and I can respond, telling them how I can meet their individual needs, and how their routine might fit into mine. I then go through the basic policies and procedures with them. Once we have done this, I give them my file with references, crb, insurance docs, policies etc in, and while they look through it I try to get to know the child. With some children this is easier than with others. I usually have something out for the child to play with and get down on the floor with them to play. This gives the parents time to look through the paperwork without feeling like they need to hurry, and me time to interact with the child.

This is ofcourse my way, and im not suggesting its the best way, but it suits me and im sure you will find a way that suits you too.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Kelly

jw19nr
26-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the replies.

So do I need all my policies and procedures done? I have a few, but not all.

My DD is ill, so its hard to get everything done! I am so shattered, she is crying all the time and is in pain. I think I am going to find it hard to have a clean/tidy house when they come!

Minstrel
26-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I dont think that is overly important.

Clean hygenic yes but if its a bit messy with toys and other family items i think that adds to the feel of a place being homely.

if i were coming round and everything was immaculate i would worry no-one was allowed to have any fun!!

Good Luck:thumbsup:

chels55
26-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Just wanted to say goodluck

Jules27
29-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm in same boat as you, he he!!!! My main worry is that I have 2 boys and this is a girl so not sure what she will like to do lol!!!!!!:laughing:

Anyway, good luck, just be yourself!! Sure we will both be fine!!!!

Jxxx