PDA

View Full Version : Toy Book/ Library

*Jigsaw*
22-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Hi

All my toys are kept in the garage and I have a very large selection that I rotate through each week.
I'm assuming that I will be inspected at some point as already a year over, so was wondering if Ofsted would like to see a toy book/library in place, so children can choose their toys as they cant actually see them stored away to choose. All of my children have been with me a while, so know all my toys, but is this enough ?

If I was to do a toy library should I have a photo, name of toy or set, and age from i.e birth upwards or 3yrs upwards etc...

any advice welcomed :)

thanks

samb
22-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Do you have pictures on the boxes they are in? If so if use the exact same picture in the book so they can look through and recognise. I'm going to do this too

*Jigsaw*
22-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Do you have pictures on the boxes they are in? If so if use the exact same picture in the book so they can look through and recognise. I'm going to do this too

No the boxes don't have pictures on as I didn't really see the point as children would never see them stored and when they are out for them they are transparent and open for kids to see

Bumble Beez
23-05-2014, 03:46 AM
I had a toy book when I was minding previously...and will definitely have one again!

I used a photo album, had a photo of the toy and written on the back was age range it was suitable for, what area of development it linked to and where to find it.
I also used it for the LOs who had speech delay, or were non talkers as it was easier for them to communicate what items they wanted to play with.
I also had one for the outside toys that I didn't have out continuously.

It helps you show ofsted what resources you have, and that you value the children's opinions.

Hope that helps a little :)

Sarah x

*Jigsaw*
23-05-2014, 05:48 AM
I had a toy book when I was minding previously...and will definitely have one again!

I used a photo album, had a photo of the toy and written on the back was age range it was suitable for, what area of development it linked to and where to find it.
I also used it for the LOs who had speech delay, or were non talkers as it was easier for them to communicate what items they wanted to play with.
I also had one for the outside toys that I didn't have out continuously.

It helps you show ofsted what resources you have, and that you value the children's opinions.

Hope that helps a little :)

Sarah x

Thanks Sarah, linking back to the EYFS is a great idea !

hectors house
23-05-2014, 07:37 AM
All my toys are in the garage too, I have a notice board that says "What shall we play with today?" on a laminated sheet, then I have taken photos of actual toys and laminated them into cards, children choose all their activities & toys for the day when they first arrive and stick the cards onto the sheet with blue tac.

*Jigsaw*
23-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Thanks all :)
I've made a toy/resources library.

It has a photo of the toy or resource

Age range

Then areas of learning it covers

Bumble Beez
24-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks all :) I've made a toy/resources library. It has a photo of the toy or resource Age range Then areas of learning it covers

Sounds wonderful :thumbsup:

Sarah x