PDA

View Full Version : Pets

cherina99
21-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Hi
Im a Childminder and I have 2 dogs. I was under the impression that they had to be kept separate from the children so while the children are here they are kept in a separate room with access to the garden but I know another Childminder that lets hers go wherever they want in the house while the children are there.

So I was just wondering what other Childminders do with their pets while the children are there?

Thanks

mrs robbie williams
21-05-2014, 02:49 PM
We have a soppy lab and I only shut her away when they are eating xx

amyp
21-05-2014, 02:56 PM
I have a St. Bernard and depending on how hyper the kids are decides if I let her among them!!

cherina99
21-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will let mine out more, I always feel bad locking them out and the kids love them x

Rubybubbles
21-05-2014, 03:44 PM
My cavi is out all the time unless messy play or I'm not on room :-)

Bumble Beez
21-05-2014, 04:05 PM
My two dogs poodle round with the littlies...it's their house too!

If the kiddies get too rough then they have a break in the kitchen for a bit, and when I'm not in the room (toilet stops ahem) and when we've got homemade play dough out cos our cocker always eats it :panic:

Sarah x

munch149
21-05-2014, 04:10 PM
My dog had limited contact with kids and spends most of the day upstairs but this is mostly out of choice. He isn't allowed in the playroom or sleep room so out of the main childminding areas but I don't worry if he's around them at other times. E goes outside with them but only when he's on his best behaviour and not running round like a lunatic lol

cherina99
21-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks for getting back to me. It's nice to know I can have them with the little ones x

Daisy De
21-05-2014, 06:18 PM
I have two Golden Retrievers and they are not separated, although they do have an area they can go if they want to get away from the kids! However, I do not let the children climb on them or pull them about and if they are sleeping they are left alone. I discourage licking from both parties! and wash hands frequently. The dogs and children love to be around eachother but, of course, they are never left alone. It's all about respect and bringing both the children and the dogs up well. It works for me and my setting :-)

line6
21-05-2014, 08:31 PM
We have a black lab who is only 18 months old so still very stupid! I have gradually mixed him with my mindees. They have a lab a few months younger but I still kept them apart at first and introduced when I knew both parties were in a calm mood. Now the dog is locked away when mindees are eating and he isn't allowed in the playroom but otherwise they mix. Garden time tends to be kept separate because the dog and the children tend to run around which is asking for trouble but they all get on really well. My z9 month old mindee adores the dog and we're busy teaching the baby to respect the dog under close supervision. Like most the dog has somewhere he can go if it all gets a bit much.

tulip0803
21-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Until last year I had a dog and he wasn't excluded but as he got older he preferred to stay upstairs out of their way. I did have a separated garden purely because I didn't want to miss a little present from him and for the children to find it IYSWIM, luckily I have a triangular shaped garden so the children have the main part and he had a big corner

*Jigsaw*
22-05-2014, 06:09 PM
no way would I ever separate my dog, its her home too. People who choose me are aware I have a dog and always meet her first. if anyone asked me to separate her they would have to find another child minder. That being said even though I trust her 100% I never leave kids alone with her and always keep her shut out when they are eating but that's more because other wise they just feed her lol

My dog (and my cat) is a big part of my mindees lives and they and the parents all adore her

FloraDora
22-05-2014, 07:05 PM
My 13year old black Lab lives in the house alongside the children. Because he loves to meet and greet with a wonderfully waggy tail I keep him behind a stairgate in the kitchen, everyone says hello to him but he isn't knocking them over in his elderly excitement to say hello. When we are all here and settled he comes out and usually lies on the car mat, which prompts the LO who is 2 to say "oh ozzy" which he knows means "move!" They just mix together, the children respect him and lean on him when they have quiet reflective times and he respects them and never sniffs and licks and moves when asked. We thought he would take himself off when the children are here, like a grumpy old man but instead he is at his most settled amongst them, grumbling when we put him out at snack time as we have this at low level. If he isn't lying in the dining room when we have lunch they ask where he is.....but if Mrs O visits I may keep him out of the dining room, but I let him in because he loves to just be with everyone, doesn't come to the table so technically not an issue......I just don't want to argue this during an inspection.
I think they learn a lot from being with him, they help to feed him, brush him, fill up his nina ottossan activity toys, and love watching him work out where the biscuits are ... it just works. So I think if your dog has the right temperament then children gain from them interacting with them. And I know my dog has been given another lease of life having the children here...he is up at the window looking for them from 7.15 onwards .....but he happily curls up on his favourite settee immediately after they leave ( we cover it especially for him so nobody else gets hairs etc..).