PDA

View Full Version : Speech therapy

jadavi
21-05-2014, 05:58 AM
Does anyone know if childminders can refer children to a speech therapist or must it be through health visitor?

Dragonfly
21-05-2014, 06:43 AM
Through the health visitor. I asked a mum to get a development check done with the health visitor on a child who wasn't saying Any words, coming up for two, no mama dada nothing, health visitor done a check and referred child.

hectors house
21-05-2014, 06:50 AM
Someone gave me a copy of a publication by "The communication trust" called "universally speaking - it has ages & stages of children's communication from 0-5 in. At the back it says

Question:

What should I do if I am concerned about a child who has not been identified with speech, language & communication needs?

Answer:

Talk to parents to gain further information and if appropriate refer to your local speech and lang therapy dep, as long as you have parents permission Anyone can refer to a speech and lang therapist, including the parents. You don't have to go through a GP or Health Visitor

Simona
21-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Someone gave me a copy of a publication by "The communication trust" called "universally speaking - it has ages & stages of children's communication from 0-5 in. At the back it says

Question:

What should I do if I am concerned about a child who has not been identified with speech, language & communication needs?

Answer:

Talk to parents to gain further information and if appropriate refer to your local speech and lang therapy dep, as long as you have parents permission Anyone can refer to a speech and lang therapist, including the parents. You don't have to go through a GP or Health Visitor

Totally agree with you...as long as we have parental permission we can refer
It often means the child gets seen quickly because it has been referred by a registered provider

mama2three
21-05-2014, 08:36 AM
we can refer, or the parents can self refer. It doesn't have to be a health visitor.

Maza
21-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Do you have a Sure Start centre near you? Our Sure Start Centre has a speech therapist on site about once a month for informal chats. I spoke to her and she gave me a number to call to book an assessment for my daughter. If you get mum's permission maybe she would let you get the number for her to follow up on. Do you not think mum would be on board?

Pixie dust
21-05-2014, 12:41 PM
I attended an evening support meeting a couple of years ago now where 2 local speech and language therapists gave a talk, they said that childminders could refer a child if we had concerns. Last week I attended a meeting about about SEND and it was mentioned that in our area that referrals for SALT for children under 3 were not being accepted which I think is crazy ....is this happening in other places?

jadavi
22-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Great

Thanks