PDA

View Full Version : Shaving foam and glitter

Kidston
20-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Coming from a nursery background I have always been told OFSTED will not allow using glitter or shaving foam with under 3s.
But Ive seen a few childminders using them and wondered if this applied with childminders or not?

tonib
20-05-2014, 07:39 PM
I went to a Picasso group (messy play, paints etc) run by a local childrens centre and they had foam with glitter sprinkled on. Most of L0s were under 2 and kept trying to eat it!

Mouse
20-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I couldn't live without glitter - we use it for everything!

We also use shaving foam. The children love it. I do check with parents that their child has no known allergies and I do use a sensitive skin shaving foam, but we've never had any problems.

I have to be honest, I've never heard of Ofsted saying a nursery can't use them.

Pixie dust
20-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I used to work in a nursery and we used shaving foam and glitter by the bucket load for all ages....I think the main thing is to risk asses, in relation to the shaving foam being aware of children who have sensitive skin etc.

We love shaving foam here and it's even better with a bit of magic pixie dust mixed in ;)

Kidston
20-05-2014, 08:07 PM
It was an ofsted inspector that told us that you couldnt use it as they say on the containers not suitable for children or not suitable for under 3s. Ive worked in 2 nurserys and we have never been ablemto use it and at our briefing session we were told not to use glitter with under 3s aswell.
Confusing that childcare providers in this area have been told this but other areas havent.

I hope it is ok to use it as personally I think its silly we cant

sing-low
20-05-2014, 09:13 PM
It was an ofsted inspector that told us that you couldnt use it as they say on the containers not suitable for children or not suitable for under 3s. Ive worked in 2 nurserys and we have never been ablemto use it and at our briefing session we were told not to use glitter with under 3s aswell.
Confusing that childcare providers in this area have been told this but other areas havent.

I hope it is ok to use it as personally I think its silly we cant

I'd argue that the container was not suitable for a child to use and I wouldn't be letting them play with the container. Shaving foam is whipped soap and I don't think you'd find an Ofsted inspector saying we couldn't use that for a child under 3!!!!:laughing:

LizP
20-05-2014, 09:36 PM
I have worked in many nurseries over 14 years and have got through hundreds of cans of shaving foam!

That is like saying the majority of the heuristic or 'natural' items in sensory areas are not suitable for children as they were not designed for children but it's not to say they don't offer amazing learning opportunities fir children under 3

Dragonfly
21-05-2014, 06:45 AM
I don't use it for very young children as it goes straight in their mouths.Nothing to say to can't use it though.

snortlet
21-05-2014, 07:46 AM
I have used squirty cream and cake decorating glitter for a similar experience with those who like to taste everything!

Simona
21-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Coming from a nursery background I have always been told OFSTED will not allow using glitter or shaving foam with under 3s.
But Ive seen a few childminders using them and wondered if this applied with childminders or not?

Ofsted cannot veto what we use...they can judge how resources are used and what kind of supervision we give children when doing those specific activities and what they are learning from them via our teaching role?...

Under 3s need to develop by sensory experiences...good supervision will ensure they get enjoyment and learning and that means explaining clearly they should not put foam in their mouth...they are capable of listening to such simple instruction.

AliceK
21-05-2014, 08:43 AM
If I took any notice of every item that had a label on it saying not suitable of under 3 yrs then 3 out of 4 of my EY's children would be being held behind developmentally not to mention extremely bored and frustrated. I RA the item and the individual child and judge from there.

xxxx