PDA

View Full Version : 17th month old not walking, would you worry?

ziggy
20-05-2014, 02:34 PM
I have 17month old who is crawling really well, standing against furniture or low table at times. He wont put feet to ground when lifted down (although he used to walk holding onto my fingers)

I'm not worried as my own daughter didnt walk till she was 18months old (she does have dyspraxia). It was just a new mummy asked this morning when his mummy is going to do something about him not walking. He was seeing physio until about 2months ago as he was a few weeks prem. He was 'late' sitting up and then crawling but I dont feel it's anything to worry about.

Would anyone else be concerned?

funemnx
20-05-2014, 02:50 PM
No I wouldn't be concerned - I've had two or three children who didn't walk until 22m & 19m (both great walkers now) and one who is nearly 17m now still not walking but pulling herself up to standing since last week. Some children have a very efficient way of getting about with no need to walk lol! :)

CookieCutter
20-05-2014, 02:51 PM
If he was already seen by physio, I wouldn't worry. My daughter didn't start to walk until she was nearly 2 (she was born 3 months early and has mild cerebral palsy). I think she could have walked earlier, but lacked the confidence because her balance isn't quite as good as most children's.

He's 'on the books', so to speak, so if there are any problems, they'll be monitored by his physio team. It's difficult when a parent asks something like that about someone else's child. It's hard to find a polite way to say it's confidential/not your concern/none of your business!

caz3007
20-05-2014, 03:42 PM
My own 3 didn't walk until they were 18 months and there were no underlying reasons, they just all got around crawling and cruising fine.

Bumble Beez
20-05-2014, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't be too worried...my middle son was a bottom shuffler and he didn't walk until he was 2 and 2 months!!
I was wondering if he would ever walk!
Trouble was he could get everywhere and do everything that he needed to without walking...

Sarah x