PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - childminder query

MRS ELLIS
20-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help, i'm currently seriously contemplating becoming a childminder. I have spoken to my local council and will be attending a 7 day briefing course starting tonight.

However I was wondering what size does your home need to be to provide care within OFSTED regulations? My home is not that large and I am worried that it would not be acceptable.

My home consistence of:

Down stairs toilet and bathroom
A kitchen with small breakfast bar to sit two people round
Good size Living room
3 bedrooms - one of these will be used as a sleeping room for the young children that need naps - (3 travel cots can be put in here)
a good size garden

Would this be acceptable? This is the first time I have used this site so I apologies if i have put this on the wrong place,

Thanks

tulip0803
20-05-2014, 10:47 AM
There are space requirements to be a childminder (they will talk about them on your course and when the inspector comes out) but what you are describing sounds similar to the home I started childminding in and I had no problems registering. If your house is small you may be restricted on numbers but as long as it is a safe environment it should be fine.

Good luck

munch149
20-05-2014, 11:05 AM
Agree with above. It doubt it would ever stop you childminding just limit your numbers. Although your house size sounds more than big enough anyway. I expect very few of us have much bigger

Maza
20-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Sounds bigger than my home! Go for it!

Nickidela
20-05-2014, 11:42 AM
You'll still be able to get registered. My house isn't massive but as it's an old house the rooms are large -massive kitchen/diner, big front room, big hall but no downstairs toilet. At my pre-registration visit the inspector would only use the measurements of the front room - apparently they don't include the hall or kitchen/diner when measuring for numbers of children, so based on one room only in my house I'm still allowed 6 under 8's. The guidelines are somewhere online -google space requirements for children and it tells you how many metre squared you should have per child and you can have a measure. X