PDA

View Full Version : Half term not wanting to work new contract

Karen1
20-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi

I have been so busy for months now with no day off. Two weeks ago I signed an ad hoc contract, I have done one collection, one collection due this Friday and he is booked in three days next week (half term).

Now he will be the only child next week and I really want to spend the time with my kids! But now feel bad cos I have said I will do next week and don't want to, what to do. Feel like I have to work it, but so tired. As after half term back to manic again.

Just a moan really. As can't get out of it can I? As will annoy parent.

Arrrrgggg. Felt like I was put on spot to book those dates in and now regret it.

munch149
20-05-2014, 11:07 AM
I would say your stuck doing it now unless you want serious grief from this parent. Shouldn't have agreed in the first place. Totally understand where your coming from tho. This is probably going to have to be one of those things you learn from and remember in future

Mouse
20-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Well, you could say you're not going to work, but look at it from the parent's point of view - they've signed up with someone who said they would do ad hoc care,, who agreed to work half term, then at the last minute decides they don't want to. It wouldn't do your relationship with mum much good and it may affect your reputation if she bad mouths you.

It's only 3 days, with one child, so it really shouldn't be an awful week. Either plan something for those 3 days that you know your children would love as well, or plan something special for the days you're not working.

Then use it as a learning opportunity for next time. When mum asks you to have the child, get into the habit of saying "let me check my diary & I'll get back to you". Never let yourself be pressured into agreeing something on the spot that you'll end up regretting later :thumbsup:

If it was me I'd still do the work because I had agreed to it and wouldn't let the parent down. But I would make sure I had an easy week with plenty of time to put my feet up with a cuppa :D

tulip0803
20-05-2014, 12:15 PM
I agree with mouse. It is a bit late for the parent to make other arrangements and could cause you problems with people thinking you are unreliable.

I have got into the habit of saying I need to check my diary and will ring you tonight when we can speak.

I would arrange some inexpensive days out if the weather is nice - picnic in park, trip to beach, paddling pool stuff like that (leave your purse at home which means they don't ask for lollies etc when out. I have ice-pops in my freezer for when we get home). If wet the museums are often free, DVD with pop-corn, hunt round the library with a quiz

Karen1
20-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I am going to have to do them I know, as dont want to lose parent or annoy her as i took on the contract as her ad hoc hours would fit in around my shift worker when she needs me, plus I have been so busy lately with parents swopping and changing hours, extra hour or two here and there and me being so flexible and then I didn't check my diary properly, and forgot that shift worker is on holiday next week and two term time only contracts on holiday and other parent on holiday too!!! this never happens, its just been such a short term I forgot it was half term. YEs it is a lesson learnt and I know now that I am definetly going to be stricter with my parents and say I cant be as flexible as I have been, because I am feeling exhausted today. Child just gone, and this is my quiet day this week!

just off to write a note for the board with something about contract reviews -as two due in July-so good time to be stricter- just feels hard to say no, when i have been building up my business!

any tips on this?

smurfette
20-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Maybe use some of the money to do something special with your own kids on the days you are off xx