PDA

View Full Version : 2nd week over, and baby has had an accident!

cher25
25-07-2008, 04:58 PM
This week was the 2nd week of the settling in and im not sure if im right or not but 2 weeks is all i put in the contract and the parents were happy with that. Week has been fine, had a bit cheek of the 4 year old and 11 month old cried when he was tired or wanted something i couldn't let him have. Went to the park a couple of times i was happy with it all.
However today mum was coming to pick them up at 5pm, me and the 4 year old were dancing around the living room. 20 mins before mum arrived, he got over excited and went to cuddle his brother. Next thing the baby fell flat on his face (laminate flooring), blood every where :panic: , when i picked him up he was holding his breath, i talked to him to get him to breath and then i got a blood curdling scream!
Turns out he has a burst lip, i was worried incase a tooth fell out. But baby cried for a bit then calmed down and wanted to play. i filled in the accident book but was unsure what to put for action taken as
i didn't know what to do, as don't remember a burst lip being mentioned on the first aid course. After all that and mum had arrived the baby went and pulled a toy on top of him, that made his lip bleed again, do i need to do a seperate sccident form for that?
Mum was ok about it and asked me if i wanted to talk to them about the settling in period or was i happy to continue, which when i said i was happy she seemed pleased about that.
Going to phone parents later to check baby is ok. Just hope dad doesn't think im doing my job properly. Im a real worrier!

Cher

Minstrel
25-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Sorry to hear you had an horrible end to what seems like a lovely start
As for the action taken - applied pressure to stop bleeding, maybe gave baby something cool to suck to reduce swelling.hope its all ok and baby is better when you call later. as for dad i'm sure with 2 kids he knows bumps and scrapes are all part of the day!!!

LittleAcorns
25-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi Cher

All that you did was fine, these things do happen.....supprisingly often....just be prepared for it thats the best thing.

A little boy I look after fell and split his lip open, I phoned mum who met me at A&E, he had his lip glued, mum was fine as it really is an accident so dont worry xx

katickles
25-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Don't worry about it - mum was calm about it so i'm sure dad will be fine.

We've all probably got lots of tales to tell you about accidents, one of my mindees fell out of my front door with in the first 2 hours of me minding :panic: I was scared 1/2 to death all day worrying about mum & dad's reactions but dad was absolutly fine.

x

donnahay0
25-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Don't worry about it accidents with little ones are so common and so is a split lip.

I had a little boy who often ran into the edge of a door - he did is several times and I got a bit worried about it, but his Mum said I shouldn't worry as he constantly did it at home. Most of the entries in my accident book were of this little boy.

I don't have him any more but often see him on the school run - he's still the same active little boy with the odd bump here and there.

breezy
25-07-2008, 06:45 PM
You've done everything right, and mum is obviously happy with you and it will not be the last accident you encounter!

LisaH
25-07-2008, 08:47 PM
:) :) Don't worry, you will be very lucky if you have a child that never has some kind of accident!! They also have a habit of doing it big style during those first important days with you!!!

One of my 3 yr old mindees has frequent nose bleeds and always seems to be in the flight path of flying footballs. Lol

Parents know that kids are always injuring themselves so don't feel too bad.:) :)