PDA

View Full Version : Biter :-(

muffins
19-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Would you exclude a child who has twice bitten and drawn blood :-( . The first incident was back in March, my dd was given a course of antibiotics as it was quite a wound and the second to day, not as bad but will take to Drs later. Not that I wish my own child to be hurt :( but thankfully so far I haven't had to explain it to another parent. The child is very young and although I have at both times made it clear it's not acceptable I feel they are too young to fully understand. I can't fully shadow child as although I can follow at most times and contain to either playroom, front room or garden if I am changing a nappy or putting a child to bed etc I can't see him at all times :panic:.

Not sure what to do it seems over the top to give notice especially as he is so young but I need to safeguard the others by ensuring it doesn't happen again.

What would you do? Any advice welcome x

shortstuff
19-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Can you take this lo with you to enable you to watch 100% of the time?

The 2 occurrences seem quite a way apart. Not sure what I would do. Good luck with the decision

AliceK
19-05-2014, 10:09 AM
I have had 2 biters. One was a mindee unfortunately the other was my own DD. With the mindee I'm afraid she had to come everywhere with me, so if I went into the kitchen to do something she would have to come in and sit at the table, if I went to do a nappy change she had to come, if I couldn't take her with me then she had to sit in the travel cot whilst I was gone. It was exhausting tbh, I couldn't turn my back for a second. Luckily they both grew out of it. Make sure parents are on board and make sure you get them to sign an incident report so that they realise the seriousness of their child's actions.

xxx

Rubybubbles
19-05-2014, 10:11 AM
As mother of a biter

My dd went everywhere I went if I wa changing a nappy she sat next to me, changing a dollies nappy when putting lo to bed she came with me. Dd was a biter around 15 months by 18 months all fine once speech developed

How old is the little one? Have you done an action plan/ physical intervention form.

It's very natural unfortunately

muffins
19-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Now biter has just bitten a chunk of fur out of my cat right in front of me, no reason or que at all :panic:

Biter is 16mths & my ddi is 17mths but my dd is more like a 12-13mth old.

I can't watch biter ALL the time, I have an L shaped front room so although I could shut off the playroom & garden so we all stay together I can't see him if I'm changing nappies at one end of the room. The playroom is small so we can't all stay in there. I also can't keep watch if I'm taking little ones up to bed, I know it's not long though.

Why would you bite a cat? He didn't look too impressed that he had a mouth full of fur so hopefullyhe won't do that again:(

Bumble Beez
19-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Why would you bite a cat? He didn't look too impressed that he had a mouth full of fur so hopefully he won't do that again:(

Not a funny situation to have...however that phrase has made my morning :laughing:

My advice would be to keep him with you as much as possible...eliminate the temptation by giving him toys he can bite such as tethers etc...

Sarah x