PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather problem!

redtiger21
18-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Help, I have a full time mindee age 3 who HATES sun cream, she literally screamed blue murder when I put it on her the other day! In fact just the mention of the stuff gets her back up. Parents find this a problem too. Ok tantrums in the privacy of my home I can handle, but tomorrow there's an outdoor teddy bears picnic at toddler group, which means it will occur in front of everyone! I'm not avoiding attending as that would affect the other LOs in my care. But my question is, do I just go ahead with applying it, try the distraction, giving her the option of doing it herself, making a game of it, show her the other children doing it (not wanting to be defeatist but none of that will work) and just put up with a tantrum if it occurs, bearing in mind she has some of the loudest, longest and worst I've ever seen, or do I tell her if she doesn't have it on she stays in the shade, assuming there's a shaded area- if there isn't then this may mean strapping her in the buggy with the dark sunshade covering her, which will also result in tears, and which to my mind could potentially give her the idea that sun safety is a choice not a rule?? Rock:hard place!! I can't help but feel that either way I'll be watched and judged as the childminder who has a seriously unhappy mindee on her hands :-(

JKL
18-05-2014, 09:48 PM
P20! It comes in SPF 10, 20, 30 & 50.

My parents have used it for us for donkey's years and I use it now did my DS.

Apply once a day and it gives full protection all day. It's not cheap but I get it in primark for £10 a bottle.

You can pick it up in most supermarkets and chemists too. Then all you have to do is convince her to have it applied once and that's it all day! :)

Hth xx

smurfette
18-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Yes use the once a day stuff and do it before you go ,
At home

redtiger21
18-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Ooh I just looked in my cupboard and found a Boots version! Yay, that'll do for the morning- she may well scream throughout the school run, but hopefully by the time toddler group starts an hour later she'll be a bit calmer! Thanks guys x

redtiger21
19-05-2014, 05:12 AM
Do you think it'd be cheeky for me to supply mum with a bottle of p20 and ask her to have it applied before she arrives in the morning? My "hot weather" letter does ask parents to make sure children arrive with cream already on ready for the school run....she'll make just as much fuss when mum applies it but I just won't have time to settle her properly before the school run if I do it

Bumble Beez
19-05-2014, 05:46 AM
Do you think it'd be cheeky for me to supply mum with a bottle of p20 and ask her to have it applied before she arrives in the morning? My "hot weather" letter does ask parents to make sure children arrive with cream already on ready for the school run....she'll make just as much fuss when mum applies it but I just won't have time to settle her properly before the school run if I do it

I think that's a good idea :thumbsup: however I wouldn't supply the sun cream, maybe explain to mum the difficulty you are having and that you don't want to distress the child further. You can then suggest P20 to her, she will probably thank you for it if she has just as much trouble!!
Good luck for today...it's very sunny here today!

Sarah x

Chatterbox Childcare
19-05-2014, 07:20 AM
I always get parents to put on the first coat as it gets done before they are dressed and gets into all the nooks and crannies.

Before you apply anything that the parents haven't supplied send them a quick text to get permission. You don't want the child having an allergic reation and it being your fault (this happened to me with Nivia on my face and took a week to go down and very itchy).

If this works give the parents the details off of the bottle and let them buy it!

Have a good time at toddlers.

Simona
19-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Help, I have a full time mindee age 3 who HATES sun cream, she literally screamed blue murder when I put it on her the other day! In fact just the mention of the stuff gets her back up. Parents find this a problem too. Ok tantrums in the privacy of my home I can handle, but tomorrow there's an outdoor teddy bears picnic at toddler group, which means it will occur in front of everyone! I'm not avoiding attending as that would affect the other LOs in my care. But my question is, do I just go ahead with applying it, try the distraction, giving her the option of doing it herself, making a game of it, show her the other children doing it (not wanting to be defeatist but none of that will work) and just put up with a tantrum if it occurs, bearing in mind she has some of the loudest, longest and worst I've ever seen, or do I tell her if she doesn't have it on she stays in the shade, assuming there's a shaded area- if there isn't then this may mean strapping her in the buggy with the dark sunshade covering her, which will also result in tears, and which to my mind could potentially give her the idea that sun safety is a choice not a rule?? Rock:hard place!! I can't help but feel that either way I'll be watched and judged as the childminder who has a seriously unhappy mindee on her hands :-(

As the weather gets warm maybe this is the time to 'review' the sun cream policy so parents are aware of what they need to do

I think I am right in saying that parents must supply their 'own brand' of sun cream in case of allergies if we apply our own
Should they not do so then we can state in the policy what we will apply our own brand...but only as an emergency or keep a child indoors the whole day....make sure to state that clearly

Parents must apply sun cream before children arrive ...we can then top it up during the day and a spare supply must be brought to our settings each day

I do understand that parents are busy but so are cms and applying sun cream to lots of children ibefore going out wastes a lot of precious time

Sorry to hear this child screams but he/she needs to understand the rules and if she can understand them somehow the parent must take control

Mouse
19-05-2014, 08:08 AM

Would you trust mum to apply it before she comes to you? I much prefer to apply the first lot myself, so I know for certain it has been done. It's the sort of thing parents are likely to forget in the morning and you're never quite sure whether or not it's been done (especially if the child screams, so mum decides not to do it)

If the child refuses to have sun cream on, could you put some in a different container, so she doesn't realise it's sun cream? Tell her it's magic princess cream, or something like that? If all else fails, make sure she has on a long sleeved top, long trousers & a hat at all times. One of my minded children can't wear sun cream, so that's what we do with her. She has light, cotton top & trousers, so she doesn't get too hot & a hat with the flap down the back of her neck. I also keep her in the shade as much as possible. In the paddling pool she wears one of those UV suits, so she's still pretty well covered, but doesn't miss out on the fun :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
19-05-2014, 08:45 AM

I don't think that is cheeky in fact I am surprised they hadn't discovered the stuff to apply once a day. Soltan, Boots own make do one and it is a lot cheaper than P20 they also do an SPF50 all day one about £8 instead of nearer £16 for the other.

Also remember to check the suncream bottle you have becuse most only have a 12 month life once they have been opened. I always keep a suncream in case and I have permission from all the parents to use this. However I have just thrown last years away and got a new one.

rickysmiths
19-05-2014, 08:59 AM
As the weather gets warm maybe this is the time to 'review' the sun cream policy so parents are aware of what they need to do

I think I am right in saying that parents must supply their 'own brand' of sun cream in case of allergies if we apply our own
Should they not do so then we can state in the policy what we will apply our own brand...but only as an emergency or keep a child indoors the whole day....make sure to state that clearly

Parents must apply sun cream before children arrive ...we can then top it up during the day and a spare supply must be brought to our settings each day

I do understand that parents are busy but so are cms and applying sun cream to lots of children ibefore going out wastes a lot of precious time

Sorry to hear this child screams but he/she needs to understand the rules and if she can understand them somehow the parent must take control

I must say I prefer to apply sun cream myself to the babies. This is because I do not always need to use it. My play area outside is always shaded for example. I know in Australia the use of sun creams is being questioned because there constant use has had adverse effects. For this reason I would not use unless absolutely needed. The only exception would be school children and I would ask parents to apply before they came to me so they are prepared for school.

I always ask for wide brimmed sun hats as well, I won't accept a baseball cap as it doesn't cover the ears or neck.

Sadly I think we are very bad over hats in this Country and it is long since time that, as in Australia, hats were made part of compulsory school uniform, and wide brimmed ones not caps.

KatieFS
19-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Try an incentive to put it on once - stickers favorite toys choice of snack??
Could you put it on before you go? Avoids the embarrassment of possible meltdown with audience

kaz26
20-05-2014, 09:29 AM
I would ask for her to come with it already on say it's affecting the other children in your care ect xx

Kerry30
20-05-2014, 11:37 AM
I had this yesterday. A mindee (3yrs) had a tantrum, and all i said was he needed to have suncream on. Putting it on him was fun! He proceded to carry on the tantrum for half hr shouting that he needed to wash it off. Lo had even watched me put it on the baby first ( who didnt make a fuss! ). Its hard work. None of us like suncream on...its horrid stuff but being burnt is so much worse!!