PDA

View Full Version : what's in your dressing up box

SYLVIA
18-05-2014, 07:19 PM
I don't actually have many dressing up things but it something I'm building up. I have various hats, fireman's set (from charity shop), chef's apron and hat, nurse apron and hat and bits and bobs to go with the builder's hats. Was wondering what route all of you go down; like roleplay people, or princess dressing and super heros or multicultural. Not sure how to balance it out

hectors house
18-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I have similar to you - lots of different hats (fireman, policeman, builder, cowboy, viking mostly from charity shops), a few role play tabards, ballet dress & cardigans (my daughters cast offs), princess dresses (again daughters cast offs), checked shirt to go with cow boy hat, lots of pieces of material that can be used as shawls, cloaks, capes etc.

Mouse
18-05-2014, 07:36 PM
In the dressing up box I have hats, scarves, bags, big pieces of fabric & net, a sari, waistcoat, etc. They are accessible at all times.

If I'm setting up a home corner, or the children are playing a certain game I'll get out the corresponding outfits such as the doctors & nurses, chefs, builders, fireman etc.

I don't have any character costumes or princess dresses.

watford wizz
18-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Similar with lots of pieces of material for capes, sari's, wrap arounds also furry gilet for bear, animal print adult top with sleeves cut short for tiger/leopard, large men's spotted hankies for pirates or days at sea side large pieces of blue and white material make the sea. Old handbags, scarfs, different hats, old chunky beads and necklaces.

clareelizabeth1
18-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I have nothing. So far I have not had a child old enough to dress up so bit felt the need. Although in the attic I have got a few things I have collected from charity shops they are again hats and bits of materials.

Maza
18-05-2014, 08:05 PM
As above, and also purses/wallets, keys (if you can trust them with keys!), old mobile phones, a few dinosaur masks, ear muffs...

amyp
18-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Mine has an item from different countries in (I hound anyone I know going away for an item of traditional dress!)

loocyloo
18-05-2014, 08:38 PM
As above, and also purses/wallets, keys (if you can trust them with keys!), old mobile phones, a few dinosaur masks, ear muffs...

Lol ... I have Dino masks too plus masses of animal masks ( cheap foam ones ). I have hats ,scarves ,waistcoats and lots of lengths of fabric. I have a couple of pairs of fairy/butterfly wings and some animal tails. Plus lots of bags/purses ( with old cards, tickets etc )/ jewellery/phones/ cameras/ wands etc.
I do have a few pirate/cowboy etc type costumes but they haven't been out/asked for/used for 3 years! I don't have specific character costumes either.

FloraDora
18-05-2014, 09:17 PM
I made a bright waistcoat out of some found material - my 3yr old LO loves it, it represents nothing but he becomes whoever he wishes, or no one - just likes putting it on.

He also loves the backpack with a lego sword in its outside pocket with a few things in it that he calls being an explorer- no clothes needed, he collects things and puts him in the backpack.

The LO who is 2 becomes Mary Mary Quite Contrary whenever she picks up a watering can.

I find its the accessories that they are attracted to as neither particularly like wearing hats.

SYLVIA
18-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the info. Lots to think about. I also have bags,bangles etc so I probably have more than I thought. I have also got a couple of hi viz vests that can go with builders/crossing patrol. Hadn't thought about the animal masks but do have a box of materials

julie w
20-05-2014, 08:44 AM
[I]n my experience children seem to prefer 'proper' clothes instead of the shop bought princess etc ones. I buy hats from primark (always in a sale) handbags purses beads.xx