PDA

View Full Version : NEW Member, I am registered, no idea where to start - help!!

Olibella
18-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi all

Hope someone can help me. I registered back in 2012 and since then have not actually started minding, for one reason and another, Recently I have started work at a nursery and although I like working there I cant help thinking I would really like my own setting and just care for one or two children, rather than 20-30 running about! I am a mum of 3 school age children, so would probably only offer term time care.

My question is that as its been so long since I did the registration course I just cant really work out now where I am supposed to start! I contacted Ofsted but didn't really get a helpful reply... my CRB is up to date, I have the food hygiene course done and first aid and loads of policies which I did during the CYPOP5 course, and I have plenty of equipment up in the loft which I horded on too! In theory I could advertise but I am to scared! I have not got insurance - where is best for that? What else do I need to do? As I say HELP!!!

Thank you very much in advance

Kiddleywinks
18-05-2014, 12:08 PM
First things first - you MUST get insurance! You are breaking your registration by not being insured, so this is a priority.

I use Morten Michel, but there's also PACEY (the old NCMA)

The EYFS changed in 2012 so you could do with re reading that and some of the posts in that section of the forum you might find helpful:
EYFS - General (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/eyfs-general/)

Are you registered with your local FIS? If so, update your details to term time only to get you known
Do you have any childminder groups locally you could attend?

What is it you're scared off?
Once you've identified that more specifically, we may be able to help/reassure/point in the right direction a little better.

Olibella
18-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks for your reply, i guess I am just scared of the whole going self employed thing, making sure I do everything right! And all the paper work etc. When I did my course it was just as the new EYFS guidelines came in so they are luckily all I know, don't have that added confusion as well! There is a childminder group locally, but its held at the same building as the nursery i work at so dont really want to go, as awkward questions - when I went for the interview I assured them I had no plan to set up on my own... plus I am very shy and those things always seem so clique! I am registered with the local FIS - just not active, in fact they sent through the forms to update everything the other day, so now would be the perfect chance to 'activate' so to speak. It all just seems such a minefield!

Simona
19-05-2014, 06:35 AM
Thanks for your reply, i guess I am just scared of the whole going self employed thing, making sure I do everything right! And all the paper work etc. When I did my course it was just as the new EYFS guidelines came in so they are luckily all I know, don't have that added confusion as well! There is a childminder group locally, but its held at the same building as the nursery i work at so dont really want to go, as awkward questions - when I went for the interview I assured them I had no plan to set up on my own... plus I am very shy and those things always seem so clique! I am registered with the local FIS - just not active, in fact they sent through the forms to update everything the other day, so now would be the perfect chance to 'activate' so to speak. It all just seems such a minefield!

If you like working at the nursery why not keep that job and do childminding on a part time scale which will give you the chance to get into self employment and then...decide which is for you.
Good luck

Kiddleywinks
19-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Going self employed is scary for everyone so you're not alone there ;)

I agree with Simona, can you do CM part time to give yourself chance to find your feet?

Self employed side, you need to:
Register with HMRC
- They will automatically send you your tax return each year
- The tax year runs from April 6th of one year - April 5th of the following year, so we are currently in 2014 - 2015 tax year.
- For each tax year you will need to show your income minus your costs which will leave you profit
- If your profit exceeds your personal tax allowance of £10000, then you will pay 20% tax on everything over your allowance

Tax year runs April to April
Between April and May you will receive your tax return
You then have up until the January to inform HMRC of your accounting figures and pay anything that is due

Sort out your NI payments
- You will need to pay class 2 contributions all year round (£2.75 per week currently)
- If your profit exceeds your personal allowance of £7956, then you will pay 9% additional NI on everything over your allowance

Your accounts
You need to keep records of what your parents pay you (income) and what you spend out (expenditure)
This information is known as your accounts
You must keep receipts for what you spend out - this is your proof that you purchased what you say you purchased

You can use the formats supplied by Pacey or Morton Michel, you can use an accounts book from somewhere like Staples or office world, you can use an accounting programme, or you can make up your own spreadsheet.
It doesn't matter WHAT you use, but you need something to show, should you ever be inspected by HMRC, that you have kept accurate records.
These records must be kept safely for 6 years, after that you can destroy them.

There is some useful information in the free resources area that can guide you on the things you can put down (claim) for expenditure

So, to recap.
You need to do accurate business accounting related records
To get insurance
Accurate child related records - contract, child records, policies and procedures, LJ's, observations and planning etc
Sort out your advertising
Follow ofsted guidelines
oh yeah,
and get some children lol

Good luck :thumbsup:

Olibella
22-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks very much, sorry Ive not replied before! I didn't see notification. What you have written is really helpful :)