PDA

View Full Version : Instinct and gut feeling

natlou82
16-05-2014, 05:32 AM
Hi, just wanted to share. I had a parent visit yesterday for care of her baby 6 months for 5 hrs ish on Fridays. She is a first time mum and very nervous about leaving him even for just this one day. Her plan is to visit loads of childminders and a few nurseries to see what feels right whittle it down to 2 options and then go back with her husband so he can decide. Anyway she has decided not to use me as I'm too new.
It got me thinking though, it really is a gut feeling that you get, I've had a couple of parents literally sign me up on the spot, but I got a good feeling and knew it would work :-) with this lady I knew I wouldn't be right for her, it wasn't a very relaxed meeting and even though she saw me with my 6 month old nephew, how happy he is in my care and how I settled him to sleep it obviously wasn't what she is after. I have sent her a message to tell her to go with her gut and she will know (I now believe within that first few mins).

Bumble Beez
16-05-2014, 05:49 AM
I agree entirely...
I have had parents visit, and take all paperwork, pay deposit etc there and then...others just don't seem to fit.
I have always said to any prospective parents, you will know when the childminder is right as it will be comfortable and you will just 'click'
It's disappointing when you don't get the family sign up with you, however I would be happier taking a child on knowing I felt that connection with the parents!

Sarah x

tigwig
16-05-2014, 05:54 AM
I agree totally. Ive had 2 parents look round these last 2 weeks. First set I instinctively disliked them lol then the last lot were ok but I didnt feel entirely comfortable. Pretty sure they won't come back and I dont feel particularly bothered! In fact the first set I was going to say the place had gone but mum saved me the job by turning me down!
I used to feel devastated if someone did that but now during visits its me deciding if I like them as much as them doing it too.

Daisy De
16-05-2014, 06:12 AM
I think different children suit different settings. Over the years I have said no to people who I just felt wouldn't fit or where I had alarm bells ringing. Who knows whether I was right or wrong but after 20 years of mostly lovely parents I intend to carry on with my gut instinct.

Also learnt not to take it personally when people say no to me there is usually a valid reason on their part and a better fit family round the corner for me :-)

bunyip
16-05-2014, 06:50 AM
I think this is very often the case. Sadly, being a man, I have a severely under-developed 'intuition gland', but even I sense that gut instinct from time to time.

On a similar note: a CM friend of mine jokes that she should call her business 'Second Chance CMing'. She's frequently had visits from nervous mums and thought, "I bet they're so worried, they will decide the lo has 'failed to settle' with their 1st choice of setting and try somewhere else." So whenever parents turn her down, she asks them to keep her number "just in case". She's picked up no end of business "on the ricochet" like this. :thumbsup:

tess1981
16-05-2014, 07:31 AM
I think this is very often the case. Sadly, being a man, I have a severely under-developed 'intuition gland', but even I sense that gut instinct from time to time.

On a similar note: a CM friend of mine jokes that she should call her business 'Second Chance CMing'. She's frequently had visits from nervous mums and thought, "I bet they're so worried, they will decide the lo has 'failed to settle' with their 1st choice of setting and try somewhere else." So whenever parents turn her down, she asks them to keep her number "just in case". She's picked up no end of business "on the ricochet" like this. :thumbsup:

Don't play the man card here lol

bunyip
16-05-2014, 08:23 AM

It's not easy you know. Bet your partner doesn't blame you when the lo's pee on the seat. :rolleyes:

Kiddleywinks
16-05-2014, 08:23 AM

Hahahaha very good lol

tess1981
16-05-2014, 08:47 AM
It's not easy you know. Bet your partner doesn't blame you when the lo's pee on the seat. :rolleyes:

Good thing he doesn't live with me then lol but was living with someone 4 years ago and he was no support what so ever but my lovely bf is very good when he pops in the kids love him and he looks out for resources and new ideas for me :)

natlou82
16-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I agree entirely... I have had parents visit, and take all paperwork, pay deposit etc there and then...others just don't seem to fit. I have always said to any prospective parents, you will know when the childminder is right as it will be comfortable and you will just 'click' It's disappointing when you don't get the family sign up with you, however I would be happier taking a child on knowing I felt that connection with the parents! Sarah x

I didn't really feel too disappointed tbh as I could see potential difficulties I think her and her husband are going to be very hard to please.

Happy Bunny
17-05-2014, 07:12 PM

Tut Tut how do we know that you don't blame the mindees for your mistakes. We all know that Men can't aim straight