PDA

View Full Version : Help advice parent problem

tara
25-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Just had a meeting with a prospective parent and she dose not want to pay if her child gets ill as she says thats what her current childminder dose and that she will lose money if she cant work.She said that if they have only been at childminders then they could only catch it there.OMG dont know what to to, l just find myself saying yes when l dont know the answer.

Jinx
25-07-2008, 03:19 PM
It's your business, you do what you feel is right for you.

The only compromise in this situation is to charge half fees for sickness.

Will you be charging her for her holidays?

If you are then you may find that she doesn't inform you of holiday times and claims that the child is ill so that she doesn't have to pay!

Good luck.

Mollymop
25-07-2008, 03:21 PM
It is up to you what you charge, but do what you feel is right, don't let parents tell you what you should be charging.
I charge full fee if any of the children are off sick.

Anyway fancy her suggesting that the child would have picked up a bug because she has been with you and no other setting? What about at home, or at the grandparents, or in the supermarket or out at the park, it goes on and on.
Besides illness is not just viruses that can be caught, illnesses can be other problems such as upset stomachs, infections, etc.

Minstrel
25-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I agree and what if she has a really sickly child or shes a real worrier and keeps him off loads 'just in case'.

sarah707
25-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I find this one very hard to deal with ...

I have one set of parents who are great and fully understand that if their child is off, they should pay.

I have 2 others who refuse point blank to pay if they are looking after their child and 1 who has threatened to take their business elsewhere if I push the issue.

The thing is, I know there are childminders locally who would snap their hands off for any terms just to get the work... and the poor child would be taken away, which I don't want to happen. :(

tara
25-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Thankyou when she was saying it l was thinking this is to hard l was not expecting parents to come out with things like this.She has just rung me to say she going to keep her children with her current childminder after shes alreally given notice.Im glad as it would of meant droping her children back home and l dont want to be doing that.She also wanted me to baby sit her kids when her and her husband have a night out.Im putting it down to experienece but l was a nervous reck.My sone would not stop crying with my mum in the garden and l had this women bulling me into saying yes.She was a bussiness women she knew what she wanted.

wendywu
25-07-2008, 03:42 PM
She is talking a load of old tosh. Children can pick up an illness at any time from anywhere and what about an illness you dont catch, tooth ache, etc. What happens if he breaks a bone while he is with his parents that is not your fault, but you would not get paid.

If it was me i would not touch her with a barge pole. Mark my wors she will be trouble. I do not know ANY minder who does not charge when the child is ill.:angry:

Always make them think that they need you, you DONT need them.:panic:

Bushpig
25-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Thankyou when she was saying it l was thinking this is to hard l was not expecting parents to come out with things like this.She has just rung me to say she going to keep her children with her current childminder after shes alreally given notice.Im glad as it would of meant droping her children back home and l dont want to be doing that.She also wanted me to baby sit her kids when her and her husband have a night out.Im putting it down to experienece but l was a nervous reck.My sone would not stop crying with my mum in the garden and l had this women bulling me into saying yes.She was a bussiness women she knew what she wanted.

You are a business woman too. That's just it. You don't tell her how to run her business, she should not tell you how to run yours... :)

You DO NOT need people like her in your life.

wendywu
25-07-2008, 03:56 PM
I think you have had a lucky escape:thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
25-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Lucky escape!!!!!!!!!!!! I charge full if a child is off sick - it's ok parent's saying they will lose money, but so will we!!

I got caught out a few years ago when I didn't charge for sickness, but a mum took advantage, and any time she fancied a day off she said the child was sick (parents pay half fee for holidays so she got a better deal by pretending little one was sick). Only problem was she worked with a friend of mine, so I got to know what she was up to !!:clapping:

charleyfarley
25-07-2008, 04:38 PM
You are better of without them tbh

Good luck for the next enquiry

Carol xx

sue m
25-07-2008, 05:10 PM
I agree! Lucky escape! I have never been questions about charing full fee for children when they are off sick and I did childminding for many years. She was trying it on. You can do without that sort.

Blaze
25-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Late to this...just wanted to say that i agree you had a lucky escape...it does get easier...when I first started i let parents walk all over me & made a rod for my own back...now it's my way or go elsewhere!;)

angeldelight
25-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Very lucky escape

I agree with everyone too

Its your business run it how you feel is right even if a parent does not agree

Angel xx

tara
25-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Thankyou every one just wish l could have an ear peice and have you all listen in next time.Next time its my way or the high way.:)

Nicki L
25-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I think you had a lucky escape there! cheeky mare

i charge half pay for days when little one is sick. Half pay when they are on holiday and nothing if i am on holiday or if i cant have them because mine are sick.

Some parents do try there luck. Mind you where i live the going rate is only 3.50 per hour so they cant grumble really!!!

RainbowMum
25-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I also think you had a lucky escaper there - another point to add - by her rules I would have said ok - but if I am sick then I must have caught it from your child or yourself so theredfore you can pay when I cant work! Some people!

My 1st contract only pays me half when their children are sick, partly because I was keen to sign someone - anyone, but also she doesn't get paid if she cant work and she was a mum I already knew which made it hard to be tough. Every one since has been on my terms which is full pay if they're sick but no pay if I am sick.

Ripeberry
25-07-2008, 09:03 PM
This is going to be my biggest worry about setting up my childminding business.#
Pushy parents who try and threaten you with looking elsewhere if you don't tailor make the contract to THEIR specifications.
And if you refuse they go out and bad mouth you to everyone else and you may end up with no work at all!
Suppose this is what happens if there is lots of competition from other childminders or nurseries or if you live in a small village:panic:

madasahatter
26-07-2008, 04:46 PM
If the parent is able to claim the childcare element of the tax credits they get it paid every week irrespective of whether the child is actually in attendance. If you look at it that way you are due payment when the child is ill or they are on holiday because the parent is receiving money to help cover those costs.
Whilst I haven't expressed myself very eloquently I'm sure you can work out what I mean ;)

butterfly
26-07-2008, 07:48 PM
lucky escape!!! i've found this recently and am standing by decisions. it's your business. you do what you feel right!!

Bushpig
26-07-2008, 11:40 PM
If the parent is able to claim the childcare element of the tax credits they get it paid every week irrespective of whether the child is actually in attendance. If you look at it that way you are due payment when the child is ill or they are on holiday because the parent is receiving money to help cover those costs.
Whilst I haven't expressed myself very eloquently I'm sure you can work out what I mean ;)

Exactly.

Re being badmouthed, I guess this can happen in any business when someone does not get their own way. You just stand your ground, be your charming and professional self and if they are so snotty about it and take their business elsewhere, then in the long run it's actually better for you.. you don't need to have painful parents.