PDA

View Full Version : Non payers

Nogin
15-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle...

My wife has been childminding for about 12 years now, it one of those jobs where it takes over your lives completely, there are days when I feel like I'm living in a kids nursery. It got to be the hardest work of any profession as you never can walk away from it even when you are relaxing at home with a glass of wine or beer you look around and there are signs of child care all over the house.

Well over the last 12 years we've has some parents who push their luck when it comes to paying, but I have a lady now who is 2 months in debit. She has paid about £70 of £400 owed through child care vouchers, she said I'll speak to my husband and he will clear the rest with his child care vouchers. As nothing arrived my wife called him and he hadn't got a clue what she was talking about. So we are in a predicament! Now I know that their kids go to a variety of child care providers my wife being one, a pre school and nursery being the others. I'm also aware they have just brought a large house in the village and 2 spanking new cars all on finance. She has gone from full time to a part time job to 1 day a week and he I cannot see earning more than £40k, plus the firm he works for is shedding jobs like nobody's business.

To top it off in 2 weeks they will be getting another £200 invoice for child care. Knowing these people and they way they live I don't think they have the money and I think we are being fobbed off now. I have a feeling their brain is writing cheques their body cannot cash, which is odd as in the past they have been good payers.
The other twist is several of their circle of friends/family come to my wife for child care and whilst their invoices are lower maybe £40 per month they too are paying when it suits them ie every 2 or three months.

My wife does not want to cause a storm, we know these people as they live in our village but they owe us a fair old wack now and soon it will be even more.
I confess that I'm less diplomatic... But do not want to risk ruining her business.

My lovely wife is the only full time childminder in our village which is why her business is so good, several have started and given up because of the hard work involved. I see it first hand as I work shifts so sometimes can be at home with a house full of screaming kids and it bugs me when people take advantage of her good nature.

So any suggestions on how to deal with this with out destroying her reputation, bearing in mind the people we are talking about are very popular in the village.

tigwig
15-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum :)
Not a nice predicament for your wife or you to be in. If it were me I would start straight away with a firm letter to all parents informing them of payment terms. I would not be providing childcare for anyone who hadnt paid and would not be accepting excuses. These parents that your wife has at the moment sound to me like they are totally taking the mick and get away with it because there are no consequences and your wife is too nice and puts up with it! I can appreciate you are both concerned about becoming 'nasty' with the non paying parents and how they will all gossip but the alternative to that is you do nothing, your wife continues to work for free and you feel more and more demoralised.
You both have the power to change things now! I presume contracts are in place with late fees? If so you must apply them and do not allow any more exceptions. If not bring the parents in for a contract review and state your new terms and conditions. If they dont like it then tough! If they all leave will you be much worse off if they aren't paying anyway? Your wife is better off without them. I'm sure she can hold her head high with your support and find people who respect her and the service she provides. Childminding shouldn't be like you describe. Everyone has someone who is late paying but for it to be all of them it takes the biscuit! I wish you luck, please dont put up with this any longer.

KatieFS
15-05-2014, 09:58 PM
I have a couple of families who are always late paying. One is a friend and is a small contract ending this July so won't rock the boat. I have chased payment a few times then is paid,
Other family their vouchers don't clear until after my payment date, so yes technically late but I let it go.
Personally I don't feel you should be on a position to be owed money, such an emotive thing.
Parents get a text if not in by end of play that day - so send txt nxt working day. This usually does the trick. If not then I would be thinking about sending a letter on day 3, then consider suspending services.

mrsb79
16-05-2014, 05:56 AM
Hi I so feel for you and your wife your right we work extremely hard looking after these parent precious children yet they are not always willing to pay on time or at all. I've been stung several times and it turns you sour and less trusting of new clients which makes me feel awful. I ask for payments in advance but someone will always slide, but I act professional and stick to my guns and pull out the contract they have signed and refer them to my policy then I show them my insurance document stating my limit for legal fees and stress that is the last resort but they must understand that whilst I love my job it is meant to contribute to putting food on my table and a roof over my head which if I'm not paid soon could be at risk then there will be no childcare at all. It does seem harsh but it's true. I would write each parent a letter stating that you would like a meeting so that you can make a repayment plan if your wife doesn't want to lose these families. Get your policies and procedures out know your stuff and get harsh no fees no childcare I've just lost two mindees due to this but I'm glad I stuck to my guns otherwise how long would I have put up with it. Good luck hope you get what your owed.

Kiddleywinks
16-05-2014, 06:39 AM
If one client is already 2 months behind, how would allowing them to be 3 months behind benefit your wife or her business?

First of all check your contract - do you have a 'no fee no care' clause?
If so, use it!
It may well be a small amount of money in some instances, £40 a month, but it is money that is owed, it is money that is outstanding, and it is not the parents prerogative to decide when they pay. I doubt they go shopping and tell the store they'll be back to pay in a couple of months time :rolleyes:

I'm afraid it's your wife that is going to have to get her head around saying 'no more' because until she does, nothing is going to change.
It's not easy, but, I agree with tigwig, no parents are better than non paying ones.
At least with no parents you know there's nothing coming in and can adjust your lifestyle to suit, advertising can be stepped up.
With non paying ones, you're stressed, working, more stressed, and don't know when or if you're getting paid this week, next week, never......

The only reputation she'll be destroying is the one that's saying she's a mug - and that's worth getting rid of ;):thumbsup:

tess1981
16-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Maybe suggest she puts it in a letter. Face to face is not for everyone but she Wi resent working with the children if she is not . getting paid.

Nogin
16-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the kind words advice and support.

I always knew this would come and what really bugs me I'd the lady who owes the £400 is the one we have done so much with as her daughter has Downs, my wife has worked to put things in place and go on courses at our expence to make sure everything is done right.

I think one of the issues is my wife does not do confrontation, she has had this before and they have paid but not to this extent.
It just saddens me that local people can do this, we are a smallish village all friends. If it's not cleared by next week I'll be dealing with them so my wife can take a step back.

So many of the parents use us as a stop gap and emergency childcare, simply because a childminder is more flexible than a nursery or preschool yet it's the same parents who keep changing times, hours and phone up for last moment child care that are the ones that pay late or badly.

I must confess even my wife is thinking it's not worth doing any more and after 12 years of providing the best child care she can is thinking of calling it a day.

Sad really because he has loved every moment of the child minding but not the constant chasing of invoices.

bunyip
16-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Hi Nogin :waving:

First, my declaration of interest. I too am a bloke (and a straight-talking-not-entirely-diplomatic-one-at-that); and a husband; and a childminder; and an erstwhile shift-worker (well over a decade on the railways). I can, at least figuratively speaking, 'feel your pain'. Oh, and I also live in a village full of gossips.................and, quite frankly, they can go do one with/to themselves. :rolleyes:

I have to say I agree with pretty much everything already said on this thread.

Putting it straight, I'd take up what Kiddleywinks has already said. You do need to go out and destroy that reputation. No offence, but the reputation of bending over backwards to please whilst payment remains strictly optional, that's not the reputation you or your wife need. That's nt a business, it's a doormat. :( The best way to ruin the business would be to do nothing: keep haemorraging money and growing that wrong reputation.

As members have already said: check contract and apply late fees, withholding of care, etc. You should also take legal advice (through your insurer or professional representative body) on what measures you can take within the contract to enforce it and recover the moneys due.

I very much hope I'm wrong, but the fees/debt situation does not look good. The clients are clearly living beyond their resources, which means you may well win a case to be repaid, but not see much of the money if they lack the ability to reply. Again, take legal advice on this. But it does make me think the important thing may well turn out to that of cutting your losses sooner rather than later.

I'm guessing that part of the reluctance to do this is based on fear: fear of reputation and 'talk around the village'. Don't be afraid of reputation issues cos, as said, you're already acquiring the sort of reputation you don't need. On the plus side, new clients shouldn't be a problem. With 12 years' experience, I'm sure your wife is an excellent CM, plus she has the advantage of being 'the only show in town' - succeeding where others have come and gone. :goodjob:

Don't be dictated to by fear of the village gossips. Their 'good opinion' isn't worth having and neither are the potential clients who'll listen to their cr4p. I have a situation with one of the village notables bad-mouthing me: because I gave a statement to the police when she drove on the pavement and nearly ran down a mum and baby in pushchair. I do not need the business of her friends who are cracked enough to believe her, and I'm quite willing to explain why.

Also, man to man, go easy on your wife and on yourself. On Mrs Nogin because (and as an 'incomer' to the world of childcare, I find this quite unique) one of the hardest things in CMing is reconciling the diametric opposites contained within the phrase "childcare business". I think we all struggle along in between the 'caring for children' side and the 'making a living out of the job' side - it can pull us apart sometimes. Be easy on yourself because you are also being pulled by the need to have a home in which you can relax after shifts (goD, shift work can be draining) and still give total loving support to your lovely wife. Total honesty will help, as well as having a realistic view of the situation and the possibilities. Remember you're a team. Decide to tackle this, and also write a list of everything she does well - so you both know why her business is well worth protecting.

Hope you can work it all out - together. :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
16-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Oh dear. I was in your place a few years ago and without support I terminated the contract immediately on the basis that the parent had broken its terms by not paying me. She left owing me over £300 and went on to use another local cm who she left owing over £1000! I had had similar problems over the preceding 10 years I had been minding though less amounts. This one was the last straw.

I decided I wasn't go to let this happen again so I wrote a robust Fees and Payments Policy which I quoted on my Contracts and got the parents to sign to say they had 'Read, Agreed to and Received a copy of' the Policy. I also added in a Late Payment Fee and explained I gave three strikes and then applied it.

I have used the Pacey Contracts for years and on page 4 of these there is a lot more detail now. There is a space to list all your Policies so the really do form part of the Contract. There is a section that gives details of why the Contract may be terminated with immediate effect or within a time frame that you decide.One of the reasons given is non payment of fees and it states that if payment is more than xxxxxx days late then the provision of childcare ceases after this time.

As other have said I would send this couple a letter detailing the outstanding money and explaining that these fees are due now and that it is only xxxx days before a payment of xxxxxx will be due. That you feel you have been very patient regarding payments but that as per the Contract they have to be paid and you expect full payment within the next 7 days or you will be forced to seek legal advise as to collecting the fees.

I would ring the Legal Dept of your Public Liability Insurance company and ask for their support as well though they will have expected you to do all you can to recover the money so I would still send a letter. I would hand deliver it so you are sure it has been handed to them or gone through their letter box.

It must be hard in a small environment I grew up in a small village and you couldn't move without everyone knowing and it was awful when I went out with my first boyfriend who was from the same village!! I would rise above the gossips and the ones who enjoy trying to destroy reputations everyone knows who they are and real people only pay lip service to them anyway because like you, they know these people are not worth the paper they are written on.

I agree with Bunyip. Childminding is team work. I couldn't have done this job for the 20 years I have without the full support of my husband and my children they have been my rocks when things have got tough with the very few (thankfully) horrible parents I have encountered. Though you can never tell just had one leave, I gave the proper notice and thought all was well, even suggested a cm who they are using and she threatened me with Ofsted a couple of days ago because she wants money back!! (none due) Not pleased when I wrote and explained Ofsted would be interested. Was happy when she chose to pay me late and wanted to swap days and not pay for the day lost etc etc.!!!!

Good luck.

Jayse74
19-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Been there and had all of this. I work with my Wife and I will be honest you have to compromise a few things.

As for non-payers and wee-wee takers (don't want to be rude lol) can damage hard won respect and reputations by telling white lies to others. Always seems like a small select few who just have no respect.

Had one lad who was a terror to others, hard work and needed constant 1-to-1 even in school. The parent just walked one day and never paid us for no reason. No falling out, no complaint nothing. We did try and find out why but she just blanked us which was really odd. I can only assume the same thing has happend again elsewhere as it now appears she has dropped the nursery childcare she was using and is now looking for somebody right on our doorstop (that alone is a kick in the guts imho). If she clears the outstanding fee's we will happily take him on again but the problem is now the amount of time that has past and the worry she will do it again. Judging by how she treated the nursery.

I cannot understand why this happend tbh. But white lies get banded about and people never admit things. This is why we now decide if a parent openly puts down their old childminder or nursery we decide the parent is not good for us.

Nogin
19-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Oh well, still nothing from the big invoice that owed. The other one has paid this month, but forgot to to include last month and the other has also not cleared last months.

I'm starting to loose my rag! Lol

Nogin
20-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Well that was interesting! I'm not a curtain twitcher but this morning we heard a noise out side by our car and there was a Balif clamping the lady opposite, she is one of the people who owes us a small amount of money!

Well he has obviously been paid as the clamp was removed and paperwork handed over after a bit of a heated discussion.

Crikey, it all happening in our little village! :D

tess1981
20-05-2014, 07:00 AM
You may clamp something until they pay your bill lol

Nogin
20-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Lol Tess if the parents thought that they would leave their kids here and not pay until they were 18 and ready for university!

Kiddleywinks
20-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Isn't that kinda what they are doing now? :rolleyes::laughing:

tess1981
20-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Lol Tess if the parents thought that they would leave their kids here and not pay until they were 18 and ready for university!

Oh hell no not their kids.... We are not that silly... try their purse and wallet lol

Nogin
20-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Some days I think it is!

There are some kids who we seem to organise everything for, bags, school trips, we let the parents know they pay the cheque. We even have to remind the parent what the child is doing at school!

I keep saying that we should offer a text message reminder service at £1 a shot!

I do wonder how these parents cope at weekends?

Nogin
20-05-2014, 07:25 AM
I might invest in a clamp and sneak out and clamp the car while they are dropping off lol

tess1981
20-05-2014, 07:35 AM
I might invest in a clamp and sneak out and clamp the car while they are dropping off lol

Make sure it's massive so everyone can see it lol

Nogin
20-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Make sure it's massive so everyone can see it lol

I'll get some Christmas tree lights on it as well. Lol

Wei must say even if we don't get paid I'm feeling better as I've had a laugh about it!

tess1981
20-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Some days I think it is!

There are some kids who we seem to organise everything for, bags, school trips, we let the parents know they pay the cheque. We even have to remind the parent what the child is doing at school!

I keep saying that we should offer a text message reminder service at £1 a shot!

I do wonder how these parents cope at weekends?

When I worked with my sister we had to remind a mum to please remove the squashed black pulped banana from the front pocket of the child's school bag. It was there over a week and smelt and I was not putting my hand anywhere near it but this was a parent who expected homework done for all 3 children. I gave out to my sister as all the 3 children she had needed one to one for homework it took near 2 hours a day to do it I fell out with my sister for being a walk over as it affected the whole setting I had to look after the rest of the children while she did the homework. The kids were so badly behaved hard work and just not nice. On the end she gave notice as the thought of them having school days off and spending the whole day in our setting sent us over the edge. I actually gave my sister notice to and left to do the childcare alone

tess1981
20-05-2014, 07:41 AM

Wei must say even if we don't get paid I'm feeling better as I've had a laugh about it!

And don't forget the bells lol

Nogin
20-05-2014, 07:51 AM
When I worked with my sister we had to remind a mum to please remove the squashed black pulped banana from the front pocket of the child's school bag. It was there over a week and smelt and I was not putting my hand anywhere near it but this was a parent who expected homework done for all 3 children. I gave out to my sister as all the 3 children she had needed one to one for homework it took near 2 hours a day to do it I fell out with my sister for being a walk over as it affected the whole setting I had to look after the rest of the children while she did the homework. The kids were so badly behaved hard work and just not nice. On the end she gave notice as the thought of them having school days off and spending the whole day in our setting sent us over the edge. I actually gave my sister notice to and left to do the childcare alone

We've had a couple like that, my wife simply said we don't and cannot do homework with your child. They are more than welcome to sit and do it but we won't be able to help them.

There are some parents who take advantage of people's good nature as I'm finding at the moment.

We've had it all over the years, kids who have randomly destroyed toys and our kids toys, kids who have stolen stuff including my daughters IPod, rather awkward as it was a neighbours child! Parents who have forgotten to collect kids as well as a parent who turned up drunk to collect a kid!

Even my wife is now saying she'll carry on for another 3 or 4 years and then that's it!

tess1981
20-05-2014, 08:04 AM
I tell parents the same about homework now as well the kids can sit at the table alone and work away but sometimes if I only have one or two children I will sit with them and do a bit this might only happen once every couple of weeks and when the child has requested it. If I'm too busy for one to one I tell the child I can't today you may do it at home... but a parent drunk how did u deal with that

Nogin
20-05-2014, 08:15 AM
[/RIGHT]
I tell parents the same about homework now as well the kids can sit at the table alone and work away but sometimes if I only have one or two children I will sit with them and do a bit this might only happen once every couple of weeks and when the child has requested it. If I'm too busy for one to one I tell the child I can't today you may do it at home... but a parent drunk how did u deal with that

Well Tess it was not an easy one, I was sure he had driven here, he stank of booze but I could not see his car. I had words with I'm and sent him home. We then called his wife who popped over and collected the child, she made light of it and laughed. We didn't!

The twist to this is I'm in the police and 3 weeks later my boss stopped him and arrested him for drink driving. Then he lost his job as he lost his licence and they did not require child care. It kind of worked it's self out!

tess1981
20-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Some people amaze me.... but well done you

Nogin
20-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Well blow me, they sent some cash... Only another £180 to go! Lol

Bumble Beez
21-05-2014, 04:46 AM

That's great news...fingers crossed for the rest as soon as possible :thumbsup:

Sarah x

Nogin
21-05-2014, 07:43 AM
The one thing I have noticed with the non payers is that they are not collecting the kids in person, it either one of the grand parents or an aunt.

They tend to keep a low profile.

tess1981
21-05-2014, 08:40 AM
The one thing I have noticed with the non payers is that they are not collecting the kids in person, it either one of the grand parents or an aunt.

They tend to keep a low profile.
Give the Invoice to whoever collecting. put it in an envelope and say can you make sure X gets this its very important :)

Kiddleywinks
21-05-2014, 08:42 AM
The one thing I have noticed with the non payers is that they are not collecting the kids in person, it either one of the grand parents or an aunt. They tend to keep a low profile.

Which goes to show that they DO know they're taking the Michael, that they are expecting a confrontation and are avoiding it..... I would not disappoint them when I see them lol

I agree, sealed envelope, please make sure x gets this, it's very important....

rickysmiths
21-05-2014, 11:19 AM

I would absolutely refuse to take the child until all fees are up to date. Then I would only accept weekly payment in cash on the first day of care and make it very clear no money no care. End of.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Which goes to show that they DO know they're taking the Michael, that they are expecting a confrontation and are avoiding it..... I would not disappoint them when I see them lol

I agree, sealed envelope, please make sure x gets this, it's very important....

either that or sheer embarrassment..

bunyip
24-05-2014, 10:35 AM

Glad you're at least getting somewhere with this. :)

I'd be terribly UNsubtle about this: count the cash in front of the relative who hands it over; announce, "£## paid, that means they still owe £## since [date]". If the client is steering clear of you, make sure the person who hands over the cash sees you count it and agrees the amount paid. Issue a receipt immediately. Otherwise, the client may try making false claims they sent more money than is actually the case, especially if they send it with different people. :mad:

Remember that paying off part of the bill should not get a client off the hook for late payments. Just cos they paid for this month but still left last month's fee outstanding does not mean they get off the late payment fee.

The fact that one of the clients has already has bailiffs reminds me. Always point out to non-/late-payers that you're prepared to put the matter in the hands of your legal people. Remind them that may include debt-recovery action, and that a CCJ awarded against them will severely limit their future ability to raise credit anywhere.

Kiddleywinks
24-05-2014, 11:02 AM
I'd be terribly UNsubtle about this: count the cash in front of the relative who hands it over; announce, "£## paid, that means they still owe £## since [date]". If the client is steering clear of you, make sure the person who hands over the cash sees you count it and agrees the amount paid. Issue a receipt immediately. Otherwise, the client may try making false claims they sent more money than is actually the case, especially if they send it with different people. :mad:

Oooo I'd be careful about telling a 3rd party that they still owe x amount Bunyip - that information is private and confidential surely
I do agree though about counting it out so the amount is verified by the person delivering it, and handing over a receipt confirming the amount received.

bunyip
24-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Oooo I'd be careful about telling a 3rd party that they still owe x amount Bunyip - that information is private and confidential surely
I do agree though about counting it out so the amount is verified by the person delivering it, and handing over a receipt confirming the amount received.

Yes, but I wouldn't. (The trick is to have my excuses ready before I 'do the deed'. You can tell I was naughty as a child, can't you? :rolleyes:)

... and what exactly is the client going to do? Complain to Ofsted? they won't get involved cos it's about the contract/fees, nothing to do with the child's learning, development or welfare.

Exactly what law is being broken which would allow the client to resort to the police or civil action? :huh:

OK, so the client might give notice, but personally I'd rather see them disappearing over the horizon than continuing to piddle on me on a monthly basis.

Would ICO be interested, or too busy handling a little matter with FleaBay?

At worst, maybe they could refer it to local trading standards. If TS decided they didn't have enough bigger fish to fry on their under-funded budget, I'd merely argue as follows.
The money matter has ceased to be "private and confidential" because the client has charged the 3rd party with delivering the cash. The 3rd party is therefore acting as the client's "agent" to deliver the money. They're assisting the client to deal with the account, and I'd say I was acting perfectly reasonably in relaying information back through the 3rd party in order to help them to do so. In fact, I'd feel obliged to do so. :rolleyes:

Sounds so much better than "it just slipped out" - dontcha think? ;)

Kiddleywinks
24-05-2014, 12:17 PM
The money matter has ceased to be "private and confidential" because the client has charged the 3rd party with delivering the cash. The 3rd party is therefore acting as the client's "agent" to deliver the money. They're assisting the client to deal with the account, and I'd say I was acting perfectly reasonably in relaying information back through the 3rd party in order to help them to do so. In fact, I'd feel obliged to do so. :rolleyes: Sounds so much better than "it just slipped out" - dontcha think? ;)

Lol, you have really thought about this I see lol

chriss
24-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Why not a polite letter to everyone, telling all the fun stuff you are doing, trips etc, and also a reminder about fees. For example, along the lines of....being a childminder is my chosen profession, and I love every day spent with the children, and if I could would do it for the joy. However, this is also my business, and like you, I also have bills to pay. Prompt payment of fees is required as from next invoice being sent. Also there are many expenses in running a childcare business in order to provide for your children in my care. Childcare cannot be provided until fees are paid.

Put that in your pipe n smoke it is an optional thing to say lol

Parents are taking the P !!

Mrs Nogin shouldnt worry about her good repuation, its the parents bad reputation at stake !!

Good luck and let us know how you get on

bunyip
25-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Lol, you have really thought about this I see lol

I'm just one step away from getting my revenge in first. :D

blue bear
26-05-2014, 01:39 PM
They are not paying because your wife has told them its ok not to pay her. (not verbally but by saying nothing it tells them it's ok)

It will not change unless it's dealt with. If it was a child jumping all over the sofa with shoes on,bet your wife would soon confront them, it's no different with the parents jumping all over the rules of contract.

Can't really see what she has to be afraid of by confronting them because at the movement she is paying to look after their children,she is inccuring expenses and not getting any income.

Write a letter to all parents who owe money stating they have until x date to bring their accounts up to date or the childcare arrangement will be terminated and your solicitors instructed to retrieve outstanding moneys . The places will then be given to children awaiting places.

Your wife is in a unique position being the only childminder and even if they rubbish her name she is so fed up she is thinking of giving up anyway so she will be no worse off (be better off as no expenses from the children she is currently looking after for free)

Any new families pay in advance so a week or month in advance, for ad hoc, money to be handed over when they bring child on the day or no childcare simples.
it's hard the first couple of times but gets easier and becomes the norm.

You will all feel so much better when this is sorted.

Simona
27-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle...

My wife has been childminding for about 12 years now, it one of those jobs where it takes over your lives completely, there are days when I feel like I'm living in a kids nursery. It got to be the hardest work of any profession as you never can walk away from it even when you are relaxing at home with a glass of wine or beer you look around and there are signs of child care all over the house.

Well over the last 12 years we've has some parents who push their luck when it comes to paying, but I have a lady now who is 2 months in debit. She has paid about £70 of £400 owed through child care vouchers, she said I'll speak to my husband and he will clear the rest with his child care vouchers. As nothing arrived my wife called him and he hadn't got a clue what she was talking about. So we are in a predicament! Now I know that their kids go to a variety of child care providers my wife being one, a pre school and nursery being the others. I'm also aware they have just brought a large house in the village and 2 spanking new cars all on finance. She has gone from full time to a part time job to 1 day a week and he I cannot see earning more than £40k, plus the firm he works for is shedding jobs like nobody's business.

To top it off in 2 weeks they will be getting another £200 invoice for child care. Knowing these people and they way they live I don't think they have the money and I think we are being fobbed off now. I have a feeling their brain is writing cheques their body cannot cash, which is odd as in the past they have been good payers.
The other twist is several of their circle of friends/family come to my wife for child care and whilst their invoices are lower maybe £40 per month they too are paying when it suits them ie every 2 or three months.

My wife does not want to cause a storm, we know these people as they live in our village but they owe us a fair old wack now and soon it will be even more.
I confess that I'm less diplomatic... But do not want to risk ruining her business.

My lovely wife is the only full time childminder in our village which is why her business is so good, several have started and given up because of the hard work involved. I see it first hand as I work shifts so sometimes can be at home with a house full of screaming kids and it bugs me when people take advantage of her good nature.

So any suggestions on how to deal with this with out destroying her reputation, bearing in mind the people we are talking about are very popular in the village.

There are many cms who are against taking a 4 weeks deposit and that has to be respect but.... it does address the non payment
Parents will still pay late even when you have taken a deposit...so a gentle reminder will do each month but....they are less likely to not pay because you hold their money from which you can deduct non payment

Worth thinking about...no one can rent a property without a deposit ...nor can we buy a car without giving a deposit...should it be different for cms when prompt payment means remaining sustainable? no

Hope it works for you!

Nogin
29-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Well here is the update...

They have all paid their outstanding accounts bar 1, she has paid the April invoice and £4.50 of the May one this was done via child care vouchers. So she still owes about £200.

Yesterday she picked the kids up and said "oh I've left the cheque at home" bearing in mind she lives up the road it in our village would not have hard for her to go get it. I'm really glad I was at work or I would have said something.

A week ago she reduced her hours, but we have said that she must honour the 4 week notice period which she has agreed to do. However I'm at a mind now to tell her to forget it as I'm fed up of having to chase her for money.

My wife is one of the most gentle kind people I met and she does not like pushing people, she's the sort of persons who does not like hanging up on cold callers so in many ways we are our own worst enemies.
However being a size 10 oaf of a copper I'm less so diplomatic! However this goes agains me, if I was to call around and they decided to complain to my employer I was most probably end up in the poop so for this reason I've not done anything.

We have in the past written letters reminding parents to pay, collect kids on time etc however most of the time they file them away in the bin before they have read them. Recently this parent turned up at house to drop her kids off when we were on holiday. She texted my wife saying "Where are you?"
The reply was "we are in Spain" then nothing else... Lol
Apparently she totally forgot we were going dispite the reminder letter she had been given 2 weeks before are the "see you in 2 weeks" when she had collected the kids on the Friday.

I must confess I have little or no faith in some of these parents parenting abilities! So getting them to pay the invoice on time is nothing more than a miracle.

Kiddleywinks
29-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Well done on only being £200 down, but I'd be refusing care when the parent arrives - no fees, no care

Your wife needs to get her business head on imo, and yes it's hard to take that first step but we've all been there, and she'll feel far more in control as a result. Being gentle and kind is good, being taken for a fool/mug is not ;)

tess1981
29-05-2014, 09:39 AM
I think by this stage I would be giving notice and telling them all fees are to be paid in full by last day of care or your insurance company will be informed and it will be out of your hands.
Your wife us getting nowhere being nice and eventually it will become an issue between you both

Koala
29-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Well here is the update...

They have all paid their outstanding accounts bar 1, she has paid the April invoice and £4.50 of the May one this was done via child care vouchers. So she still owes about £200.

Yesterday she picked the kids up and said "oh I've left the cheque at home" bearing in mind she lives up the road it in our village would not have hard for her to go get it. I'm really glad I was at work or I would have said something.

I think I might have said - oh no worries i'll pop round and get it - it will save you a job or shouted my eldest to go with her because his legs are younger than ours!. :p play her at her own game :p

Nogin
29-05-2014, 03:03 PM
Tess you are rightist is becoming an issue between us, however it her business not mine and to date after 12 or so years she has got them all to pay eventually.

Well just had an awkward moment...

As today we only have one child minding kid and she we we have had for years we took our kids and her bowling and then on to McDonald's for lunch, I know I'm bad but it's the half term treat.

When we went into McDonald's guess who was there! Yep our non payer! She smiled at us with a nice wave, so my wife went and said hi. She waved at me so I turned my back on her. Simply I'm so annoyed at her I felt I would say something i would regret so best not say anything.

tess1981
29-05-2014, 03:51 PM
You know what ignoring her was the best thing you did she has bound to have realised you did it on purpose he he and no offence to you I mean this in the nicest way but if I owed the wife of a police man money I think I would pay out of fear lol

Nogin
30-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Lol Tess, I'm afraid those days are long gone, the days of pulling your warrant card off duty and getting stuck in off duty are no more simply because it's see as an abuse of power.

We have a boy racer who's always screaming up and down the lane on a heavily modified car, I had raft of angry locals knocking at my door. I would love to have stuck him on, but as he is a local, I had to leave it to the local beat team, and because they took their time the neighbours gave me stick for it.

If I was to stop her and stick her on for speeding she could say I was bullying her because she owes me cash... I would be out of a job before you knew it!

So I just bite my tonge and say nothing...:mad:

Koala
30-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Lol Tess, I'm afraid those days are long gone, the days of pulling your warrant card off duty and getting stuck in off duty are no more simply because it's see as an abuse of power.

We have a boy racer who's always screaming up and down the lane on a heavily modified car, I had raft of angry locals knocking at my door. I would love to have stuck him on, but as he is a local, I had to leave it to the local beat team, and because they took their time the neighbours gave me stick for it.

If I was to stop her and stick her on for speeding she could say I was bullying her because she owes me cash... I would be out of a job before you knew it!

So I just bite my tonge and say nothing...:mad:

:panic: such a shame :panic:

tess1981
30-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Can you not even answer your door in your uniform and stand with an angry glare on your face.... :):):) lol

bunyip
30-05-2014, 08:29 AM

.. I would be out of a job before you knew it!

You're clearly not in my local constabularies then. :(

Nogin
03-06-2014, 10:07 AM
OMG she paid, so i legged it to the bank to pay it in, hopefully it won't bounce! Lol

shortstuff
03-06-2014, 10:15 AM
OMG she paid, so i legged it to the bank to pay it in, hopefully it won't bounce! Lol

Brill news well done x

tess1981
03-06-2014, 12:56 PM

Might Bounce so hard it will hit you... then you can do her for gbh lmao

Bumble Beez
03-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Might Bounce so hard it will hit you... then you can do her for gbh lmao

Lol!
Awesome news that they paid up tho x

Sarah x