PDA

View Full Version : Need to spruce up my observation sheets

AdeleMarie88
15-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Hey all- I'm looking for some inspiration! I have some observation sheets that my LA supplied me with, and most CM in my area use them- they are detailed, but I find filling them out such a laborious task. I'm hoping to find a way of writing quick observations on the spot, as opposed to filling out one of these long observation sheets.

Has anyone got any genius methods they don't mind sharing? I'm thinking of something short and snappy but includes all vital info! Thank you x

moggy
15-05-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't use an obs sheet at all- just a photo/video, a sentence or two to say what I see, a simple label like 'PD' or 'PSED, UW' and a Next Step if relevant. That is it.

Do you feel you need a form?

Can you simplify even further- use a Post-it or sticker written there and then- direct into a scrap book, or upload a photo and a note online if you use an online system? Anything that takes more than a few moment is too much in my opinion, we need to be down there with the children, not filling in forms and after they go home we have enough other stuff to be doing to be writing up obs! IMO!

I hope you find a way that suits you.

FloraDora
15-05-2014, 08:01 PM
I have been talking to CM who have recently been inspected and the pattern seems to be that the inspectors like to see some longer obs e.g on next steps, alongside the shorter ones mentioned/ photos.
So I understand your reflection on your longer obs forms as they can be laborious. I too am revisiting how I evidence longer obs, but I have to say this is largely so I can tick that ofsted box. My daily short obs I think give me a great picture of what a child can do independently and their next steps.

AdeleMarie88
15-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I like the idea of post it notes!
In my monthly planning I evaluate and write my next steps, I also write in my daily dairies any obs and link all to EYFS, and I do quarterly reports, so I think I am doing enough to appease ofsted!?
Thanks guys! X

mama2three
16-05-2014, 06:44 AM
You can also get house shaped post it notes - give a pack each to parents so they can jot down things from home..............( ok only a small proportion of families actually bother...but its worth a try!!)

hectors house
16-05-2014, 07:50 AM
A parent has just left child's Nursery Learning journal for me to look through over the weekend - they just use sticky labels (probably better than post it notes than curl up and fall off), they have a page with the Area of learning on as the heading, then hand write on a label, stick it under appropriate area of learning with a small photo and the date. Then there is a piece of coloured card for each month with some other photos (eg: X playing in sand, taking part in road safety week) stuck on and hand writing on the card - don't know why they didn't use some of these as observations. They only do one long observation a term! No wonder her mum said the nursery one isn't as good or as informative as mine.

Nursery recently sent me home (via the mum) a copy of child's review - it has the 7 areas of development on, a couple of lines about each one, no age bands marked, no next steps!

If I did the same as this Nursery I wouldn't be spending my evenings doing paperwork but I know that Ofsted probably wouldn't accept it. How do Nurseries get away with doing so little? Also went to visit another Nursery recently, so much fuss is made about making sure child has access to outdoor space - this Nursery has a COMPLETELY covered outdoor space as it's in a factory unit - the children don't even get to see the sky or grass or have fresh air when in the "outdoor" space. I have taken 2 groups of children out this week to bluebell woods, where we have all lay in the bluebells enjoying the fragrance and looking up at the green trees and blue sky.

Simona
17-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Hey all- I'm looking for some inspiration! I have some observation sheets that my LA supplied me with, and most CM in my area use them- they are detailed, but I find filling them out such a laborious task. I'm hoping to find a way of writing quick observations on the spot, as opposed to filling out one of these long observation sheets.

Has anyone got any genius methods they don't mind sharing? I'm thinking of something short and snappy but includes all vital info! Thank you x

The problem with forms that others have devised and want you to use is that it is their idea not yours...so you can find them a bit difficult
I have seen many LA generated obs sheets and could not make head or tail of them...when I ask the CMs who use them if they understand them the answer is usually NO!!?
Could you devise something that works for you and the children you want to observe?

Once you have set a 'next steps' in any area of learning you would need to observe a few times to see the child is 'hitting' each specific goal so to speak...that means you are tracking his/her progress via your obs sheet and in your head too.

When you have a picture of what the child 'can do' write your summative assessment and that can be a bit longer
Hope this helps ...so difficult to explain in a post!

funemnx
17-05-2014, 09:41 AM

CoEL:
PSED:
PD:
C&L: *Photo*

Lit:
Math:
UoW:
EA&D:

Planning:

I print this onto a sticker template (8 to a page) - everything on one sticker and all info you need. Every week/month I transfer my photos to the stickers and delete the camera ready for the next time. I used to spend whole weekends getting all the LJ's up to date which I really resented. This is quick and I can fit 4 obs on one page (my last obs sheet was an A4 page just for one ob

Chatterbox Childcare
17-05-2014, 12:06 PM
I have just changed mine and it is still evolving.

I took one of Sarah Neville's sheets and showed what I had planned for the child each week and what we did (you can fit 5 weeks to a sheet) and I am just changing the back to show what went well/didn't and what needs to be done and this will be my next steps. I overall review each month.

With my photo's I have put most of them in a private folder for parents to view on facebook and upload these each week/month too so no more long winded printing but will put a months worth on a sheet or 2 with a few comments to link to EYO for Ofsted.

I am hoping this way I will spend an hour each Sunday morning and that will be it :) Hoping lol