PDA

View Full Version : Pls Pls help me with this LO

shrinking3
15-05-2014, 01:10 PM
Please excuse the lengthy post but I need help. I have this little one who is just 2 and has been coming to me for 2 mornings a week for about 6 months.
If I leave him to his own devices he does nothing and I mean nothing- just stands there no speech no movement maybe watches the children around him. yesterday I took him to the park met other minders and lo he knows. All other children running around at park he stands there. nothing. Fairly sure if id let him be he wouldn't have moved at all. eventualy got him going up and down slide by leading him over and over again. this is typical of him.at home he will just stand in room and not move does not even touch toys left at his feet by others. I have started sitting him down and putting toy in his hands to try and get him to explore.
No speech at all, no response or gestures to questions at snack time he may hold it in his hand but does not eat it.
I have been building up to talking to parents and have told them my worries used words like concerned.On my trackers he is coming out very low. their response is well he talks at home, he eat at home, he plays at the park with us!!!!
Now is he extremely shy or is it me? what do I do? all ideas appreciated I just don't know what to do for the best.

AliceK
15-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Please excuse the lengthy post but I need help. I have this little one who is just 2 and has been coming to me for 2 mornings a week for about 6 months.
If I leave him to his own devices he does nothing and I mean nothing- just stands there no speech no movement maybe watches the children around him. yesterday I took him to the park met other minders and lo he knows. All other children running around at park he stands there. nothing. Fairly sure if id let him be he wouldn't have moved at all. eventualy got him going up and down slide by leading him over and over again. this is typical of him.at home he will just stand in room and not move does not even touch toys left at his feet by others. I have started sitting him down and putting toy in his hands to try and get him to explore.
No speech at all, no response or gestures to questions at snack time he may hold it in his hand but does not eat it.
I have been building up to talking to parents and have told them my worries used words like concerned.On my trackers he is coming out very low. their response is well he talks at home, he eat at home, he plays at the park with us!!!!
Now is he extremely shy or is it me? what do I do? all ideas appreciated I just don't know what to do for the best.

Can you ask if you can go to the childs home and observe for a while. Just to see if in fact what parents are saying is correct.

xxx

shrinking3
15-05-2014, 01:50 PM
dad keeps saying he will show me on video. I have never known a child like him and have been in childcare for 18 years now. I have tried all my strategies and no progress. so hard as I am worried if I push it they will give notice :(

Rubybubbles
15-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Can you ask if you can go to the childs home and observe for a while. Just to see if in fact what parents are saying is correct. xxx

Good idea-

wee_elf
15-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Yeah I would do a home visit if possible, he may be a completely different child in his own environment :)

blue bear
15-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Sounds like he finds the separation traumatic to me. Do you have any others the same age or older who will talk to him and bring him into their games?
Do you know what interests he has so you can set up relevant activities/resources. Ask parents what he plays with at home.
Maybe try putting a photo album together with photos from home, Facebook is grat for this.
A home visit is a must.
Instead of asking questions try making statements so it's non challenging. This is sticky. That's a big lorry you have there. Etc..

shrinking3
15-05-2014, 07:48 PM
I wonder if it is the separation. I had ruled that out as he no longer cries as dad leaves but wondering now. I have introducing friends who he seems to recognise but only watches and does not interact with at all.
I have been doing a running commentary rather than questions to try to help language but no words at all with me.
not sure parents will be up for home visit but will definitely try the book idea. Thank you