PDA

View Full Version : CYPOP5 task 5 risk assessment- Help needed!

Lal
15-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to complete the risk assessment for task 5. I can't find details of how to do a risk assessment. Last time I completed a written one (a long time ago) I had to rate the likelihood of something happening and the impact if it did happen and then calculate the risk from those figures. I can't remember how to do it or find any guidance. The book just lists things you should do to make your home safe but no detail of completing a risk assessment or the expected format.

Thanks,
Lal

shortstuff
15-05-2014, 11:49 AM
have you tried googling risk assessments? thats what i did and found brilliant templates.

Lal
15-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks,
I have found some templates and the calculation methodology but the childminding risk assessment templates I've found aren't the right format for the methodology. Anyway I'll keep on looking.....

wee_elf
15-05-2014, 03:54 PM
The HSE have templates that you can use which include a risk matrix :)

moggy
15-05-2014, 05:16 PM
You do not have to do the numbers calculation.

Just keep it simple by listing 'what is the hazard', 'who could be harmed', 'what am I doing/what more can I do' and 'frequency of checks'... or something like that. So it might be:

'Staircase/young child or baby/stair gates up/check daily that they are fixed properly, check closed properly when used'

That is all that is needed. There are systems using numbers to rate the risk, use that if you like but it is not required.

Lal
15-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks Moggy,
I'm finding the some CYPOP5 tasks a bit vague :( I'd much rather write a 1500 word essay for my OU course. Anyway, thanks again for the help. Lal

funemnx
15-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Risk Assessment
Outing: Walking to school.......................................
Date of review:
Areas to consider What I have in place already What I need to put in place
How far are we going to walk and are the walking children realistically able to walk that far?

Single, double and triple pushchair available plus sit-on buggy board if required
Have I suitable equipment? Pushchair with harnesses?
Reins?
Are they in good condition? I regularly check that all of the pushchairs are in good, clean, working condition

Have I taught the children to hold on to the pushchair?
To stay close to me?
All the children are taught to stay close but I will use walking reins for all children under age 4 years at all times
Have I taught the children about road safety? I talk about road safety every time we walk somewhere
Have I taught the children about stranger danger? I talk to the children regularly about not getting lost and not to go anywhere with someone they don’t know
Have I got the following with me?
First Aid kit
Emergency contact details of the children
Mobile phone I make sure these are in the pushchair/bag when we go out walking
Have I made provision for a change in the weather?
(Rain etc.) I ask all parents to provide suitable clothing/footwear for wet/cold/hot weather
Other

This is the sort of thing I have - in a table format.....

wee_elf
16-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Do you have a support tutor or similar who may be able to give you a idea of what they are looking for? I think part of the problem is that it varies hugely between the different training providers x

Lal
17-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Thank you for the replies. It has helped a lot.
The task itself was very waffly. I asked my assessor for clarification and she said to produce a risk assessment. I find it strange that there are no word limit guides or similar for the tasks. All other courses I've done (NNEB, OU Degree modules, PEEP practitioner C&G Accreditation etc) have been much clearer in what is expected. Also finding it hard not having contact with any other prospective childminders- apart from on here.
Anyway, off to risk assess the house and garden......