PDA

View Full Version : bad start to the day

tess1981
15-05-2014, 08:23 AM
My 2 very demanding fighting 2 year olds have started to fight and scream within 1 min of being together. Today is my busiest day this week . I'm at a lose how to deal with them any more. Yesterday I had to remove one of them for over an hour from the rest of the children she just screamed and hit all day. I have been working on her behavior last couple months but she has taken a step back this week. Only once this week did I witnessed her playing nicely and laughing the rest of the time she has been in a foul mood which affects everyone in the setting. She has sucked the joy completely from this job. The other 2 yo copying her behaviour and short of putting them in two separate rooms which I can't do they can't be together. They are my main earners and as I have only one wage in my house I can't afford to give notice to them . I have praised and I have given time outs. It has no effect what so ever. I look forward to the days she is not with me now. Now an ideal situation

shortstuff
15-05-2014, 08:24 AM
have you tried sticker charts? sometimes a visual can help?

Mummits
15-05-2014, 09:03 AM
It may be jealousy/attention seeking, especially if she is used to having adults solely focussed on her needs and no "competition". I have a three year old who can be a bit like this (and she was much the same at two and even at one). Do you have an opportunity to really make a fuss of the disruptive LO? I find it helps if every now and then I go really overboard to make a fuss of my little girl (take her out for lunch on our own, do some baking or craft with her and really single her out for lots of positive attention - it seems to help her cope better with the times she has to share.

tess1981
15-05-2014, 09:13 AM
She has just turned 2 a few weeks ago so taking her out for treats like that won't register as a reward for sharing yesterday iykwim. I'm am watching her all morning and she just tries to wind everyone up by taking their toys or hitting them or screaming at them she is just not letting up last 3 days I'm exhausted. Be and mum spoke about it few weeks ago and we both separating her from others by time out in either a high chair or cot every time she behaves like this. We just walk away until she calms then go back explain why she time out and tell her to say sorry. She knows she has done wrong as she screams or hits then takes of running to avoid time out when she does something nice I do ott praise and high five so she knows what behaviour I like but so far this week I have done this once

tess1981
15-05-2014, 10:05 AM
She is in bed now and the house is so quiet even though there are 3 other children on the house. I need tea

Mouse
15-05-2014, 11:30 AM
If you have room, I would try sitting the children on their own mats to play. I found this worked with a 2 year old I had who would scream if anyone came anywhere near her, or even looked at a toys she was playing with. It was like time out, in that they were restricted to their own area, but they were still included in the playing.

I sat the 2 children on mats and gave them their own toys to play with. Eg. if it was duplo, they each had their own pile on their mat. They weren't allowed off their mat and no one else was allowed onto their mat. I sat between them, talking to one, then the other. I'd then be the go between, talking to them both (look X, Y has built a lovely tower). After a while I swapped bricks between their mats - "here you are X, Y says you can play with these bricks. Can we let her have some of yours?" It showed them how to play nicely, without screaming at each other!

It took time and lots of working at, but it at least gave me some time during the day when I didn't have them both screaming. These 2 went on to be the best of friends and the most loving, thoughtful children ever.

tess1981
15-05-2014, 12:36 PM
If you have room, I would try sitting the children on their own mats to play. I found this worked with a 2 year old I had who would scream if anyone came anywhere near her, or even looked at a toys she was playing with. It was like time out, in that they were restricted to their own area, but they were still included in the playing.

I sat the 2 children on mats and gave them their own toys to play with. Eg. if it was duplo, they each had their own pile on their mat. They weren't allowed off their mat and no one else was allowed onto their mat. I sat between them, talking to one, then the other. I'd then be the go between, talking to them both (look X, Y has built a lovely tower). After a while I swapped bricks between their mats - "here you are X, Y says you can play with these bricks. Can we let her have some of yours?" It showed them how to play nicely, without screaming at each other!

It took time and lots of working at, but it at least gave me some time during the day when I didn't have them both screaming. These 2 went on to be the best of friends and the most loving, thoughtful children ever.

Think I will give this a go on Monday morning .... hopefully a new start thank you all for the advice

tess1981
15-05-2014, 12:37 PM
She has eaten her dinner as normal but today I praised her a lot for eating it. Had to find something to praise her today lol